are stanford, georgetown, rit, syracuse, and etc. friendly?

I want to know about MIT, do there is provided for deaf services and dorm? and seems under disabilty. I find out that harvard has deaf and hoh service seems expanded for needs cuz about half percent of deaf students attend there. if small deaf students means under disability service.

yes of course. I was at MIT for seminar and they provided accommodation service for me. they were awesome.

yes of course. I was at MIT for seminar and they provided accommodation service for me. they were awesome.

Oh yeah.

I looked at harvard website disability service.

It appears deaf and hearing service information, it looks like happy to serve more than 40 percent of deaf and hoh students there.

But at georgetown said it shows that if need accomdations for deaf, contact one couneslor butit service for general but not mentioned.

I do not know why csun is mentioned in most website, deafness serve 25 percent of deaf and hoh.

Oh yeah.

I looked at harvard website disability service.

It appears deaf and hearing service information, it looks like happy to serve more than 40 percent of deaf and hoh students there.

But at georgetown said it shows that if need accomdations for deaf, contact one couneslor butit service for general but not mentioned.

I do not know why csun is mentioned in most website, deafness serve 25 percent of deaf and hoh.

all colleges provide accommodation but the level of quality is different.

Most of my friends did not see some deaf people on booth or play sports or club, few came to me who knows deafis at their college, seems forget to sign for long time or no see deaf life.

Few of my friends not named deafies who are their boyfriend, girls are hearing I knew.

hey...

if you are deaf, why it is necessary to wore ci if you want enter top colleges?

I have a friend who worked at encyclopedia of life, smithonsian int. she is friend of one who played soccer at college prep school, went to haverford. she wore ci with speak, no surprise.

if I am deaf and without ci, can i still enter but have to work lots with hearing around for classes and homework?

Even I wore CI, I still consider myself deaf because I believe the CI technology is far from perfect or anywhere near to the actual human hearing range. I do still have some difficulties in real life, even I can speak and hear to an extent, but that doesn't stop me from doing what ever I want or can.

matajan, if you don't wear CI, I believe you still can enter top colleges if you want to and have the qualifications and determination. The MIT Disabilities Services Office will accommodate you in anyway you need, including dorms, CART, etc, whatever you need or want as long you contact the MIT Disabilities Services Office. MIT will pay for your accommodations.

But frankly, I think having CI and the ability to speak made my life much easier and helped me to get into MIT Early Action (I'm a current MIT sophomore), as well connecting to other hearing MIT students and dealing with the hearing world. So, think of this way, rarely MIT students know how to sign and if you only use sign language, social life and life outside of classes will probably be much more difficult for you....the same is true for other top colleges or other colleges with very small deaf population like MIT.

sheila - what are you studying in?

sheila - what are you studying in?

Hi Jiro!

I'm a newbie to this forum!

I had declared an Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences major (course 12-it's a one major), but I'm also thinking about Urban Studies and Planning (course 11). We'll see how it goes after this year.

My other deaf, CI-using friend here at MIT (sophomore as well) is currently studying Electronic Engineering and Computer Science (Course 6). Damn him for being so smart and knowing all of those stuff about computer science and programming. lol.

I think there's only two of us at MIT :aw:

Hi Jiro!

I'm a newbie to this forum!

I had declared an Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences major (course 12-it's a one major), but I'm also thinking about Urban Studies and Planning (course 11). We'll see how it goes after this year.

My other deaf, CI-using friend here at MIT (sophomore as well) is currently studying Electronic Engineering and Computer Science (Course 6). Damn him for being so smart and knowing all of those stuff about computer science and programming. lol.

I think there's only two of us at MIT :aw:

nice. I actually looked into Urban Studies there but the cost..... :cry:

I have been to MIT numbers of time and I don't know how ya'all live on with that MIT food. it's disgusting. I'll be in Boston again next month to party so feel free to join us! all deaf group. both of you know how to sign ASL, right?

nice. I actually looked into Urban Studies there but the cost..... :cry:

I have been to MIT numbers of time and I don't know how ya'all live on with that MIT food. it's disgusting. I'll be in Boston again next month to party so feel free to join us! all deaf group. both of you know how to sign ASL, right?

Haha, omg, I know! MIT has a lot of great stuff, but food and dining isn't one of them...There's a lot of attempts to reform the dining system, but I don't know if the current reformation will be successful or not. I usually cook my own food.

Jiro, where are you from? and are you a student or something? Actually, I'm not in Boston right now as I'm still in home......and....both of us don't know that much ASL >.< I'm sorry!

Haha, omg, I know! MIT has a lot of great stuff, but food and dining isn't one of them...There's a lot of attempts to reform the dining system, but I don't know if the current reformation will be successful or not. I usually cook my own food.

Jiro, where are you from? and are you a student or something? Actually, I'm not in Boston right now as I'm still in home......and....both of us don't know that much ASL >.< I'm sorry!

I'm from NJ right next to NYC. I'm done with college. I graduated from Rutgers University but also a former student of Virginia Tech. I'm still gloating over our victory against MIT in AUVSI. GGGGGGGGOOOOO HOKIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I know several friends who went to MIT. I've been to MIT many times. The last time I was there was.... I think 8 years ago and I can't believe MIT still hasn't fixed its food issue. good gracious! All the money they spent for its new Cognitive Science building and..... still can't fix its dining hall issue? c'mon! lol :lol:

so both of you don't know much ASL? well I'm relatively new to ASL too but I get by just fine :cool2:

I'm from NJ right next to NYC. I'm done with college. I graduated from Rutgers University but also a former student of Virginia Tech. I'm still gloating over our victory against MIT in AUVSI. GGGGGGGGOOOOO HOKIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I know several friends who went to MIT. I've been to MIT many times. The last time I was there was.... I think 8 years ago and I can't believe MIT still hasn't fixed its food issue. good gracious! All the money they spent for its new Cognitive Science building and..... still can't fix its dining hall issue? c'mon! lol :lol:

so both of you don't know much ASL? well I'm relatively new to ASL too but I get by just fine :cool2:

Oh, damn you, Jiro! We may not be that great at sports, but we are smarter :P:P:P:P

I knowww, it's annoying MIT still haven't fixed the food issue, and I am not sure how I feel about the current plan that will take in effect next year. Oh, also, there is a new Sloan building....beautiful and reeking of Wall Street-ness...just like for the Management and Economics department to flaunt their immense wealth to the MIT community and the whole Boston. Bah!

Nope, we don't know ASL that much either, and any ASL skills I have went rusty from 10 years of not using.

Wow, I used to live in northern NJ, and I know TONS of people who went to Rutgers and a gal in Virginia Tech now. Congrats on finishing college! What do you do now since you finished college?

Sheila,

welcome to AD ;D

MIT, mmm....nice!! im jealous, lol...

i went RIT in 2002 and im no albert einstein BUT i love there :D

Sheila,

welcome to AD ;D

MIT, mmm....nice!! im jealous, lol...

i went RIT in 2002 and im no albert einstein BUT i love there :D

Hi NorCal20!!!!

I actually know a couple of guys at RIT, one deaf and the other hearing. Haven't been there yet, but would like to visit there one day! :)

Just wondering, are you in anyway related to Stanford since I see the Stanford logo as your profile picture?

Oh, damn you, Jiro! We may not be that great at sports, but we are smarter :P:P:P:P

I knowww, it's annoying MIT still haven't fixed the food issue, and I am not sure how I feel about the current plan that will take in effect next year. Oh, also, there is a new Sloan building....beautiful and reeking of Wall Street-ness...just like for the Management and Economics department to flaunt their immense wealth to the MIT community and the whole Boston. Bah!

Nope, we don't know ASL that much either, and any ASL skills I have went rusty from 10 years of not using.

Wow, I used to live in northern NJ, and I know TONS of people who went to Rutgers and a gal in Virginia Tech now. Congrats on finishing college! What do you do now since you finished college?

I haven't checked out Sloan building yet so you'll have to give me a tour if I visit MIT again. But I have seen BU's new business school. It's got this ridiculously huge globe like Daily Planet from Superman.

I graduated with IT major and GEO minor so I'm the webmaster now. waiting for my brother to get a job so I can start looking into grad school for GIS program along with urban planning (maybe but not sure). I wouldn't be surprised if you know some of my friends from RU.

I haven't checked out Sloan building yet but I have seen BU's new business school. It's got this ridiculously huge globe like Daily Planet from Superman.

I graduated with IT major and GEO minor so I'm the webmaster now. waiting for my brother to get a job so I can start looking into grad school for GIS program along with urban planning (maybe but not sure). I wouldn't be surprised if you know some of my friends from RU.

Wow, an IT major! I wish I have the mind and talent for anything related to computer science or programming. My summer internship was a programming job mainly and it was quite overwhelming to learn multiple programming languages to do things I need to do for my project, especially when I just started to learn programming few months before the summer.

Can you tell me what does "GIS" stands for? and what got you interested in urban planning? Like I said, I'm considering urban planning as my primary major since it looks interesting, but I still like earth science. I hope your bro gets a job so you can go to grad school! :) (would you consider MIT as one of your grad school? ;) ) yes, I will give you a tour if we are on the campus at the same time :)

shelia,

do you still have vocational rehabilition who support you go MIT?

if not, why?

I was not surprise why I still have VR since school deaf.

I am still rich from family.

shelia,

do you still have vocational rehabilition who support you go MIT?

if not, why?

I was not surprise why I still have VR since school deaf.

I am still rich from family.

Hi, no, I don't have any support from vocational rehabilitation, but I just heard about them from my friend few days ago, so I am looking into this issue as another source of funding for MIT.

And can you clarify this statement "I was not surprise why I still have VR since school deaf."? I'm sorry, but it's not really making sense to me. You seem to have issues with your written language, especially for its grammar and syntax.

And if you're rich, that's great. Your family should be able to pay for your college and everything.

Wow, an IT major! I wish I have the mind and talent for anything related to computer science or programming. My summer internship was a programming job mainly and it was quite overwhelming to learn multiple programming languages to do things I need to do for my project, especially when I just started to learn programming few months before the summer.

Can you tell me what does "GIS" stands for? and what got you interested in urban planning? Like I said, I'm considering urban planning as my primary major since it looks interesting, but I still like earth science. I hope your bro gets a job so you can go to grad school! :) (would you consider MIT as one of your grad school? ;) ) yes, I will give you a tour if we are on the campus at the same time :)

I never liked IT job and programming. I hate it :mad2: but it's what pays the bills. tons of bills.

I'm not surprised that you've never heard of GIS (Geographic Information System). It's a very new field and not many colleges offer it as "major" degree. Most colleges including MIT do have GIS program but as "supplementary" for research purpose. For "degree" program in GIS... it's mostly at state colleges.

MIT's GIS program = Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Lab at MIT

Earth Science is cool and I believe you definitely should make it as your major degree. It's a nice and broad field that can be easily combined with GIS or urban planning. GIS is mostly served as a supplementary skill for pretty much any science majors... including CDC (Center for Disease Control), real estate, US Army Corps of Engineers, remote sensing (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz), hydrology, etc. etc.

For me - I'm more interested in traffic-related stuff like NHTSA or DOT combining with GIS. Since I have the web programming skill, that can be combined with GIS. Example - google map.

oh yea - about your question about me considering MIT as one of grad schools... most likely no. I'm 100% state college yo!!!!! :lol:

Back