Are any other Bikers here?

Sorry for the loooonnnng post but the link to this story requires "registration" and I didn't want that to prevent accessability for you.

This article is from my local paper at charleston.net. It is about the controversy of unequal treatment of white and black bikers. Any personal experiences related to discrimination? Any opinions?

2 rallies, 2 sets of rules, 1 lawsuit
Myrtle Beach traffic regulations contested; merchants say age, not race, is the issue
Published on 05/16/05
BY SCHUYLER KROPF
Of The Post and Courier Staff
MYRTLE BEACH—No one remembers exactly when the first motorcycle cruised into Myrtle Beach. But everyone agrees things got tense when black and white riders began showing up a couple of weeks apart each May.

The white bikers throttled in mostly on chrome-polished Harley-Davidsons. Black riders appeared a week later on brightly painted bikes imported from Japan.

Soon the town started treating the groups differently, at least as far as traffic patterns went. Then came the lawsuits.

This family-fun destination that gives way to caravans of bikers each May is grappling with accusations that the town's leaders were engaged in racial profiling when they set up different traffic patterns for the two biker rallies.

During the mostly white Harley rally that gets under way this week, more than 200,000 riders normally are permitted to cruise in two-way traffic for five miles of Ocean Boulevard, the city's main seaside strip of hotels, bars and shops.

The pattern was the same for the mostly black Memorial Day Atlantic Beach Bikefest until 1999. That's when the city decided the event had become too large to handle. Police began corralling Bikefest riders into one-way traffic along the same strip.

An NAACP lawsuit on the issue goes to court in October. In the interim, Myrtle Beach has decided to limit boulevard traffic to just one way during both bike rallies, in compliance with an injunction issued last week by U.S. District Judge Terry Wooten.

The white bikers say setting the street routes is not their fight. City officials, merchants and black bike riders have differing views on how the dispute grew.

"Basically, they treat us different," said James Washington, a North Charleston riding enthusiast who has attended the Bikefest rally in the past. Washington, who is not a party to the lawsuit, said he's treated like a crime suspect whenever he visits Myrtle Beach.

"Everybody watches us like we're about to do something," he said, perched atop his $9,000 Suzuki motorcycle.

His riding buddy, Corey Antone, of the North Charleston Street Kingz riding club, agrees: "In some of the restaurants, the food is (priced) ridiculously high, triple what it normally is."

"Most of the restaurants close," he added. "They don't want to serve you."

The NAACP claims two local eateries that close their doors during Memorial Day weekend — Damon's Restaurant and Greg Norman's Australian Grille — do so because of racial prejudice. That discrimination, they assert, corresponds to the one weekend a year when minority tourists outnumber white visitors in Myrtle Beach.

Town officials say race wasn't a factor in the traffic patterns. Bikefest, they point out, falls on Memorial Day weekend, one of the busiest of the year and the traditional start of summer. More controls were needed for safety, said City Manager Tom Leath.

He said the Harley event isn't as much as a street-snarler. The Harley rally "doesn't affect the downtown area as much as it did at the beginning," he said, referring to how today's Harley riders are more prone to ride out of downtown for bars and motorcycle stores around the Grand Strand that host satellite events, such as concerts and bike shows.

Merchants agree the events draw different crowds but say age is the issue, not race. A common view on the street is that Harley riders are a quieter, older crowd, people up in their 50s or older. Meanwhile, the Bikefest crowd averages riders in their 20s and 30s.

Supporting that theory is Sharon Ford, chef at Caroline's Restaurant on Ocean Boulevard, who speaks with biker authority. She is 34, black and a bike rider. Her father, Cleo Williams, was one of the founding members of Bikefest, which started 25 years ago as an Atlantic Beach fish fry.

"It's the age," she said. "The younger bikers come down and get crazy. They do a lot of things they don't do at home."

Some of the female riders are "half-naked," she added.

Ford grew up in Myrtle Beach and is offended by the accusation that her hometown is run by racists.

Still, there are hints of racial dissonance. "They don't tip well," Tammy Mack, a bartender at Suck Bang Blow, a warehoused-sized biker bar situated several miles outside of Myrtle Beach, said of some black bikers. "They destroy our property."

Myrtle Beach Police spokesman Capt. David Knipes said department records show a disparity in police activity during the two events. During the 10 days of Harley week 2004, the department recorded about 1,500 citations and arrests, he said. During the shorter four-day Memorial Day 2004 weekend, the department recorded about 1,800 citations and arrests.

Suck Bang Blow is among those businesses that will close at the end of the Harley rally and won't operate during the week of Bikefest. But the influx of black bikers isn't the reason, Mack said. During the 10 days of the Harley rally, she expects to work 20 hours a day and said no one has the energy to work through two rallies. "Back to back, it's way too much for everybody," she said.

If the racial dispute has affected Myrtle Beach's image, it hasn't shown, said Brad Dean, president and CEO of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce.

"Just the appearance of a rift could damage that image," he said. "But attendance seems to be growing year after year."

The Harley rally draws about 200,000 to the Grand Strand, according to recent estimates. Bikefest attracts as many as 350,000 people, city officials have said. The economic impact for both events is in the tens of millions of dollars.

Dean said the chamber doesn't play favorites between the two. Representatives answer visitor phone calls and e-mails about both events. But Dean said the chamber backs the city in the lawsuit. "Bike Week has become Bike Month," he said. "Two different events, two different needs. We support that."

Myrtle Beach Mayor Mark McBride, who is a waiter at Greg Norman's restaurant, thinks the dispute has had a negative impact on the city.

He fought the decision to go to one lane for both biking events but couldn't get any support from City Council to run both with two-way traffic, he said. "You don't penalize the first group because of a lawsuit," McBride said.

Washington said he may go up to Bikefest this year but isn't sure of how long he'll stay. It depends on the reception he gets at hotels, diners and on the street. "That racism stuff needs to stop," he said.

Schuyler Kropf covers courts and legal issues. Contact him at skropf@postandcourier.com or 937-5551.

I always in my dream about harley

since I wanna ride a motorcycle, but i never has driving any biker in my life. i know that I didnt have motorcycle liscence or permit valid before. i still remmy my father bought his italy motorcycle called "Benilli" in 1972 or 1973. I was around 7 yrs old. I rode my dad's motorcycle with him. i love it. Sad for my dad already sold his biker in long years ago. until i get old. i talk with my dad. i want to ride a biker. U know what he say?? HE say, "No, you cant drive a motorcycle beucase you are deaf" I was angry at my own dad. I always want to learn driving a motorcycle baaaddddly. I decide myself without my dad and will ask someone can help and teach me how to drive a proper motorcycle. I really wish. What i need learning lot of practice about motorcycle. I dont know what to do for going to motorcycle rider safety school. i wonder if it have any provide ASL interptreter there in New Jersey??? help me... :(

sincerely,
Chelle

Chelle said:
... I dont know what to do for going to motorcycle rider safety school. i wonder if it have any provide ASL interptreter there in New Jersey??? help me... :(
sincerely,
Chelle
Have you checked with DMV? In South Carolina, the motorcycle course is free, and since it is part of the state DMV, I think they must provide a terp. Of course, every state has different rules.

Reba said:
In South Carolina, the motorcycle course is free,

ur state, motorcycle course is free??? u lucky!! in New Jersey, motorcycle course require fee cost us around $300.00 for three days. Plus it must a write test and eye test for permit valid then Graduates of the Basic Rider Course receive a waiver for the New Jersey MVC motorcycle road test requirement,too. Reason New Jersey of the state is strict and law. U know.....

Chelle

Chelle said:
ur state, motorcycle course is free??? u lucky!! in New Jersey, motorcycle course require fee cost us around $300.00 for three days. Plus it must a write test and eye test for permit valid then Graduates of the Basic Rider Course receive a waiver for the New Jersey MVC motorcycle road test requirement,too. Reason New Jersey of the state is strict and law. U know.....

Chelle
Ouch!

My older sister has 2 motorcyle and 1 small motorcycle at my older sister's house. They are cool bikers. :D

Chelle said:

Chelle
I checked with Hubby, and he said his course was free but that was several years ago, and he already had a license from another state. If someone is a beginner with no experience on a motorcycle, that person can take a training course (that includes a small motorcycle to ride) at the local technical college. There is a cost for that course. However, because it is at the state tech college, the college will provide terps.

Of course, each state has different laws.

BTW, my Hubby says deafness shouldn't effect motorcycle skills. He says that helmets and noise interfere with some hearing anyway, and that driving a motorcycle safely depends more on visual and motor skills.

As you can see from the postings here, many Deaf people are bikers, no problem.

Is this the site you are using for New Jersey?

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/cit_permits/d_pat_motorcycle.html

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/motorcycle/mcm996.pdf

It looks like you can get an "M" added to your car driver's license without taking the motorcycle course. You just need to pass the test and pay a small fee. However, it is beneficial to take the course because it can lower the cost of insurance, and it provides good training and practice.

Last edited:
Reba said:
It looks like you can get an "M" added to your car driver's license without taking the motorcycle course. You just need to pass the test and pay a small fee. However, it is beneficial to take the course because it can lower the cost of insurance, and it provides good training and practice.

I agree with u about all the different states are law.

yes, I have motorcycle manual book with me, right now. That it must be write test and eyes test for this... I need to pass the test. Of course! I need lot of practice driving a motorcycle around and ask someone who is an experiance about motorcycle. U can say that about it look like i can get an "M" added to my car driver's license without taking the motorcycle course. Yes......

Chelle said:
... I need lot of practice driving a motorcycle around and ask someone who is an experiance about motorcycle....
Do you have any biker friends? Maybe someone can "mentor" you, as a good experienced example for your.

Do you have a HD dealer or HOG organization in your town? Sometimes if you become friends with the local dealer or bikers, and chat about, you can find someone who will be willing to "take you under the wing". (Of course, use your judgment about which persons you can trust.)

C.C. Sinned gave a good link at:
http://deaf-bikers-of-america.com/

Also, check this:
Eastern Deaf Bikers organization (includes New Jersey) at
http://www.eastern**********.org/

Question: Any AD bikers live in Chelle's area?

I don't know why the link to Eastern Deaf Bikers won't reproduce on my above post? :confused: I typed the address but it shows up on my post as *******. It wasn't a bad word, so I don't know why. Sorry about that.

Reba said:
Do you have any biker friends? Maybe someone can "mentor" you, as a good experienced example for your.

Do you have a HD dealer or HOG organization in your town? Sometimes if you become friends with the local dealer or bikers, and chat about, you can find someone who will be willing to "take you under the wing". (Of course, use your judgment about which persons you can trust.)QUOTE]

yes i have only two hard of hearing themselves who are own harley ,too. But they have been very busy. becuase they cannot make it to plan to see me not much.. It would be nice someone can mentor me for willing to take me under the wing.... I wish that HOG Oranization can help me. And I have HD dealer in New Jersey,too. But those harley are very expansive. of course they are... something other like honda are great deal. not bad.... better than nothing.

Chelle said:
... But those harley are very expansive. of course they are... something other like honda are great deal. not bad.... better than nothing.
Of course, I just mentioned the Harley and HOG bikers as examples. If you can find Honda friends and buy a Honda bike that would be great too. :) My Hubby used to have a couple Hondas and a Suzuki.

Biker

C.C./ Skinned, I and my hubby are bikers, he rides a harley sportster (2000). Also wanted to let you know there is a big Hog Rally in wildwood NJ. Sept. &th thru 10th, 2005. If you go online to wildwood nj.com you can get more info and also there are a few hotel rooms left. It took over an hr. online to find hotel but we got one. We are staying at starfire hotel which is accross the street from convention center. There are all kinds of programs and events for Hog owners. By the way only Hog owners are allowed to register and participate in the events. Hope to see you there!!!kathylee

I'm also am a crazy hardcore biker, I install all of my custom parts myself. Who is going to Sturgis this year?? I'll be there with my Pop and one of his chapter members.

Here are a few pics of one of my bikes a '03 Honda Shadow Spirit 750, me installing the new Vance and Hines Straight Shots (without the baffles ofc) and a few after I was done added the chopper risers and new mirror and my Pop's '90 1500cc Goldwing that he's giving me and I'll be riding it from Georgia to Tennesse to Illinios then to Sturgis, SD then to the Grand Canyon, visit some friends in Arizona then back to California (3500 miles total in 2 weeks) and also a pic of my Pop's new '05 Goldwing he just bought.

Mybike005.jpg

Mybike007.jpg

Mybike012.jpg

Mybike013.jpg

Mybike010.jpg

mikebike1.jpg

P4070042.jpg

ThatGuy said:
...Here are a few pics of one of my bikes a '03 Honda Shadow Spirit 750, me installing the new Vance and Hines Straight Shots (without the baffles ofc) and a few after I was done added the chopper risers and new mirror and my Pop's '90 1500cc Goldwing that he's giving me and I'll be riding it from Georgia to Tennesse to Illinios then to Sturgis, SD then to the Grand Canyon, visit some friends in Arizona then back to California (3500 miles total in 2 weeks) and also a pic of my Pop's new '05 Goldwing he just bought. . . .
Nice pix!

lutsko67 said:
C.C./ Skinned, I and my hubby are bikers, he rides a harley sportster (2000). Also wanted to let you know there is a big Hog Rally in wildwood NJ. Sept. &th thru 10th, 2005. If you go online to wildwood nj.com you can get more info and also there are a few hotel rooms left. It took over an hr. online to find hotel but we got one. We are staying at starfire hotel which is accross the street from convention center. There are all kinds of programs and events for Hog owners. By the way only Hog owners are allowed to register and participate in the events. Hope to see you there!!!kathylee
Thank you for telling me. I have heard of "Roar to the Shore"... I will figure out my plans as time goes on... :smoking:

lutsko67 said:

I need more information about this convention in WildWood, NJ. I come from New Jersey of central. I knew only HOG owner member...I wonder any one who will willing to help me out about sort of motorcycle like that... I need more learning and lot of pratctice what I need. But those clutch confuses me, i try understand about clutch. I know the best bacis 250cc for good beginner to start until get to use lot. then bigger 750cc than 250cc in the future. I already know my feeling lot of frustration about want to learning a challange driving it an new experiance. I never give up myself.

Back