Anyone who is deaf still do Jury Duty?

I won't be called to jury duty any more. I was excused from jury duty because they didn't want the expense of an interpreter. LOL

Which is illegal, of course.....

Wellllll, maybe not....

Last edited:
I won't be called to jury duty any more. I was excused from jury duty because they didn't want the expense of an interpreter. LOL

Same here. I went in and told them I was deaf. They excused me. This was around 5 years ago in Florida. Never was asked to in Illinois.

I got a summons many years ago- in the 1990s. In that state they randomly select from voter registration rolls, driver's license rolls, personal tax rolls and various other sources; for the county I was selected in they only used Voter & Motor. I don't remember how far in advance- I think I got the mail about a month before (this was long before ability to check online). I had 2 interpreters for the day- was never called for a case (which was fine by me. I only served for that day if I remember correctly, was paid for it. Good thing I was on break from the school program I was attending at the time LOL.

Have any of you been on jury duty with your hearing issues? It states that being deaf does not excuse you. I have been excused for many years due to my other health issues and will do that again. Just curious if anyone did appear and how did it go? If I could hear, I probably would do it.

I was called for jury duty once. It was after my C.I. was done though. I still had an interpreter present though. No problems or issues personally, everything went smoothly for me.

I was summoned for cook county when i was not a resident of that county for few years.

I was living in Chicago from 3rd yr in hs thru 2nd yr in college. When I lived in the N burbs atfer college this was 6 years since living in cook county I lived in lake. Cook county summons me using my old address. My grandmother still lived there so gave me the summons.

I was flabbergasted because 6 years of not being a resident of cook and have voted ecery year in lake county I drive and had address change back then too so dmv and voter registration proves it. I call them up. They said to prove it that I am not a resident of cook county for the city to excuse me

What! Yall cant look up DMV and voter registration?! ?!

No. You must send in photocopy of your drivers license then we will excuse u.

Oh my gawd. Sent them an invoice of 5.49 cents along with my copy of drivers license. 10 cents for copy paper n ink 39 cents for stamp and 5 bucks for aggrevation and my time deaing with them on phone. Never got reimbursed for it anyhow.

Just once for which I was going to request to be excused from the proceedings. Luckily the case was settled and never went to trial.

I was summed twice.. one was when I was in h.s I was 19 or something but mom took care of it and it was excused.. then 2nd when I was 22 I think but mom finally got a waiver for me from my dr or something then they realized I'm deaf so they never sent me a letter for jury duty since 14 years now lol

Went and attended proceedings at least 3 times to date, summoned more than that. Was compensated like $30 in total for going.

Technically, they are not supposed to waive you for being deaf as the way it is conveyed in the Constitution, everyone is equal. But the prosecutor can always and most likely will reject someone deaf with a peremptory challenge during the juror selection process.

If you lived in DC then you would get more than two times. I have. Two of them were wavied becasue i was in training. One of them that they decided not to pick me like what prosector rejected me. LOL I didnt care about that one.

Supposed to report for jury duty in mid-April. Going to get a letter from my audiologist. Worked the last time for me.

I received the jury duty letter last year ago. I signed up at online that I'm Deaf and US. I can't attend to jury duty. There is interest to Deaf Oral as LSL only not Deaf with ASL. The court refused provider an ASL interpreters for jury duty.

My doctor wrote me a letter to excuse me and hubby is going to pick it up after work.

Besides being permenent disabled I also belong to MADD (mothers against drunk driviers). I worked with the DEA so anything drug related I wouldn't be a fair juror. They use to excuse you if you or your family are police officers but now they're sending summons to my brothers who are both cops.

In Ohio, I never received a jury duty letter. Then I moved to Nevada, I received numerous jury duty letters, but my dad notified the court that I was in college out of state.

Fast forward to New Jersey where I am currently living in. I received a jury duty letter and I must show up on the day which I flew to Las Vegas for physical therapy sessions for my broken ankle. I had my ortho doctor writing a note and I stapled it with jury duty letter and sent it out directly to the courthouse. I have not heard from them every since. :giggle:

I remember being called to jury when I was about 18. My mother got me out of it. I don't know what she did.

When I got my first, and only, summons, I was in college. I was just starting to learn ASL. It was long before CART. There was no way I could go to a trial and hear enough or understand enough ASL to decide something that was important enough to have a trial for. I sent them my doctor's note and called them and they repeatedly refused to believe that I was deaf, even though I called using a TTY and they had the doctor's notice. However, when my MOMMY called and told them that her child is disabled, they finally believed her. That really got my goat, I was furious about it.

Back