Anyone who is deaf still do Jury Duty?

Angel1989

Premium Member
Reaction score
Have any of you been on jury duty with your hearing issues? It states that being deaf does not excuse you. I have been excused for many years due to my other health issues and will do that again. Just curious if anyone did appear and how did it go? If I could hear, I probably would do it.

Have any of you been on jury duty with your hearing issues? It states that being deaf does not excuse you. I have been excused for many years due to my other health issues and will do that again. Just curious if anyone did appear and how did it go? If I could hear, I probably would do it.

I got a notice for Jury Duty last year, and needed a medical wavier to be excused, because my nighttime meds made it practically impossible to wake up on time, and since then, no further issues.

Mark

Sent from my Asus Memo Pad using AllDeaf Mobile App

I recall that one guy was call for Jury Duty and found out at last minutes that he is deaf. He is wavier. :D

I have been summon, but never had chance sit on jury bench. Had close calls in the past. If given chance, I would love to be on that bench and give whoever fair justice.

I got called for jury duty and I had my hearing aids audiologist write a letter for me say I would not be able hear everything and my audi send my hearing test result. I send this back with my card and I got a letter saying they'll let me know if I am needed. I never heard back and never got anymore notices until I change my last name . So I had to send in another letter .I think the court would set up a CART for a deaf person to read. When I got my hearing dog , NEADS had a huge CART set up and it type out everything people said and even my dog barking when I told him to speak.
I know if I did jury duty I would want to be looking at the people talking and not have to read what they're saying .

Another issue for me was how far in advance they wanted me to tell them an interpreter would be needed, and knowing most interpreters prefer to be notified in advance, that was a problem.

Mark

Another issue for me was how far in advance they wanted me to tell them an interpreter would be needed, and knowing most interpreters prefer to be notified in advance, that was a problem.

Mark

HUH?? Did the person think your hearing come and goes and you hear better on some days ??? You should just had said right off the bat "I will need an interpreter from day one to the end of the trial and that you needed them in the jury room too.

Damn autospell check is a pain some time. I type 'end' it was typed as 'send

HUH?? Did the person think your hearing come and goes and you hear better on some days ??? You should just had said right off the bat "I will need an interpreter from day one to the end of the trial and that you needed them in the jury room too.

Damn autospell check is a pain some time. I type 'end' it was typed as 'send

Wasn't that. The letter said that if I was selected, I had to notify them 24 hours prior to the start of the trial, and that was an issue-- many interpreters here in IL do not like last minute notices, and I can't blame them. Anyways, I already had it taken care of.

Mark

Wasn't that. The letter said that if I was selected, I had to notify them 24 hours prior to the start of the trial, and that was an issue-- many interpreters here in IL do not like last minute notices, and I can't blame them. Anyways, I already had it taken care of.
It isn't that interpreters don't "like" last minute requests. It's that they can't always fulfill those requests without enough lead time. This is especially true for legal assignments. The number of interpreters who have the additional certification for legal work is small compared to generalist terps, so they are difficult to schedule. Also, depending on the case, some court work requires teams of several terps, and that makes scheduling even more difficult.

It isn't that interpreters don't "like" last minute requests. It's that they can't always fulfill those requests without enough lead time. This is especially true for legal assignments. The number of interpreters who have the additional certification for legal work is small compared to generalist terps, so they are difficult to schedule. Also, depending on the case, some court work requires teams of several terps, and that makes scheduling even more difficult.

That's true-- that's one of the reasons why I was apprehensive that it would work. I personally know an interpreter, and I know she prefers advance warning if something is gonna happen (she works for the program I pay rent to), and I have to respect that.

Mark

I served on a civil case that lasted a month.....no problems,,,,,no fanfare....my wife sat on a criminal case and she was the foreperson....

That's true-- that's one of the reasons why I was apprehensive that it would work. I personally know an interpreter, and I know she prefers advance warning if something is gonna happen (she works for the program I pay rent to), and I have to respect that.
Yeah, well, I personally was an interpreter, and I personally know many interpreters.

Any professional prefers advance notice when possible. It's not just a terp thing.

If you get called to jury duty you don't need to be apprehensive; the court does the terp scheduling, not you.

However, you might have other issues that would disqualify you from jury duty. I wouldn't worry about it. The court will figure it out. Just do what they tell you on the notification letter and you'll be fine.

Yeah, well, I personally was an interpreter, and I personally know many interpreters.

Any professional prefers advance notice when possible. It's not just a terp thing.

If you get called to jury duty you don't need to be apprehensive; the court does the terp scheduling, not you.

However, you might have other issues that would disqualify you from jury duty. I wouldn't worry about it. The court will figure it out. Just do what they tell you on the notification letter and you'll be fine.

Which is exactly what I did.

Mark

I once had to show up and be call on in case a jury was needed. Luckily for me, I was never called to be a jury on trial. I did have an interpreter with me on the day I sat waiting for my name to be called. It was an easy job for interpreter and me. I got paid for showing up even though I didn't serve on panel.

I once had to show up and be call on in case a jury was needed. Luckily for me, I was never called to be a jury on trial. I did have an interpreter with me on the day I sat waiting for my name to be called. It was an easy job for interpreter and me. I got paid for showing up even though I didn't serve on panel.

Dang. Cook County Sheriff's Department either didn't know I was deaf, or what, cause they sent me a letter to my old residence, thinking I still lived there. Caught me completely off guard when I got it.

Mark

Here in Chicago area, the court where I reported for jury duty had interpreter available. Since Chicago is such a big city, I'm sure there are a lot of deaf people who had been asked to serve on jury before me. I would think that this is a rather normal thing for Chicago area courts.

Also, I remember that people would get letter asking to be called for jury duty at least a month or so before the trial. Therefore, that gives them a lot of time to request interpreter or CART service.

Here in Chicago area, the court where I reported for jury duty had interpreter available. Since Chicago is such a big city, I'm sure there are a lot of deaf people who had been asked to serve on jury before me. I would think that this is a rather normal thing for Chicago area courts.

Also, I remember that people would get letter asking to be called for jury duty at least a month or so before the trial. Therefore, that gives them a lot of time to request interpreter or CART service.

Not in my case. You see, the day I got my letter, there were only 10 days until jury selection, and that not only presented a huge problem, but legal challenges, as well, as they were asking me to travel to 26th and California, which is a LONG way from my home.

Mark

Dang. Cook County Sheriff's Department either didn't know I was deaf, or what, cause they sent me a letter to my old residence, thinking I still lived there. Caught me completely off guard when I got it.
What does Illinois use for its jury pool? Registered voters? Registered drivers? Or something else?

What does Illinois use for its jury pool? Registered voters? Registered drivers? Or something else?

Good question. Do not know the answer to that one. Wish I did.

Mark

Not in my case. You see, the day I got my letter, there were only 10 days until jury selection, and that not only presented a huge problem, but legal challenges, as well, as they were asking me to travel to 26th and California, which is a LONG way from my home.
They can summon you to any place within the state. Different courts are held in different jurisdictions. Some courts are local, some are at the county seats, some are at state capitals, for example.

Back