Anyone own a gun?

I just got some 38/357 shotshells for home defense use with my Taurus 38+P titanium revolver. Have any of you used these before?

I don't own any gun. My families have some shotguns, hunting guns, protection guns...only in other states where they live. I took a P.O.S.T. AJ49 class in Summer 2004. One of the top three shooters (embarrassed, I almost sink under my desk when he announced it) using the Glock .45 and LOVE it. I'm going back to the shooting range where I went with my class and will practice. Love to make a lot of "X" holes. :D :dance:

I don't think California let anyone have a gun in his/her home. They voted "No" and they won. So we can't use the guns for protection. Pity.

Whitewolf1970 said, "I don't think California let anyone have a gun in his/her home. They voted "No" and they won. So we can't use the guns for protection. Pity."

First I have heard of that.

Tousi said:
Whitewolf1970 said, "I don't think California let anyone have a gun in his/her home. They voted "No" and they won. So we can't use the guns for protection. Pity."

First I have heard of that.
Yeah, ... there are high crimes that can't be solved because the bullets are not marked with the serial numbers. If they do, then cops are lucky they can trace the evidence to the owner of the firearm. The 1999 law was weak, then 2000, still I don't think it will solve any problem. California PDs decided to get an idea of paying $100 (or $50 if I'm not mistaken) each weapon drop off by the owner. Handsome bucks to buy something else like a perfume or a restaurant food. More guns are turned in. Still the hoodlums gotten ahold of the assault weapons. Too many deaths in California and they have enuff.

Sad, some neighbors are up in their arms about the law. They want to protect their properties from burglars and rapists. IF we are without any gun here in California, this state will be an only one which is laughing-stock of the U.S. Still the guns are NOT safe. Take a minute and look around, ....a child walks around in the parents' room and opened the drawers. He saw a shiny object that he liked. He picked up and waved it around like a playful cowboy he is..before pointing...it's tragedy. I left out the words between "pointing" and "it's tragedy" because it's terrible to picture something we don't want to think. We don't want anything to happen inside the homes. What if a teen became a suicidal...no one wants to see it happen inside his/her home either.

So if this California has any more new law like gun ban, I'm going to move out of this state cuz I hate high crimes.

I've never owned one nor ever touched it. well.... unless if the water gun counts :mrgreen: I'm terrified of guns. I got shot at with a BB gun when I was skateboarding down the road.. a little boy was aiming the BB gun right at me. I didn't know if it was real or not so I just kept skating. Surely enough, I did get shot on my chest. Nothing major was damaged just a big bruise that's all. Ever since then I told myself I'd never touch one, so far I still haven't.

Reba,
An officer I work with just received his grandfathers shortnosed .38 5 shot revolver. Interesting little creature there LOL. I had rounds all over the target and was not proud of my shooting at all, but it was fun to shoot.

Y, as Reba pointed out, it would have to be shipped to your local gunstore/dealer and they do the transfer for you. The officer I just mentioned, his grandfather is in Michigan so they had to have it shipped dealer to dealer and then my friend had to get it from the local gun shop. Same deal with the ones from out of state that you are looking at.

Taylor said:
Reba,
An officer I work with just received his grandfathers shortnosed .38 5 shot revolver. Interesting little creature there LOL. I had rounds all over the target and was not proud of my shooting at all, but it was fun to shoot.
I love my Taurus. My groupings were good, same as using my 9mm. I prefer the revolver because it is easier for me to load, and no shell casings to clean up after. :D

It is a little weird having 5 shots instead of 6 but I got used to it. Most people are amazed at the light weight when they hold my gun.

My question is about the "shotshells". For target practice I use regular rounds but for home protection I keep some shotshells loaded. When I go to the range, I switch ammo.

The gun shop guy suggested the shotshells because they spread like shotgun shells but they fit my Taurus. The theory is, if you have to grab your home gun in a hurry and don't have time to aim, you will still hit your target with a big "spray". That will startle and disorient the bad guy, then your second shot can be the "knock out" round.

These shotshells are very expensive, so I will probably just try one or two at the range to get the experience, but I'm not going to use them for regular practice.

They look very different. The casing is pewter color, and you can see the pellets thru the blue, flat-end cap. They don't have a "bullet" appearance. It seems weird to put shotgun shells in a small revolver.

Reba, with those shotshells, what , if you know, is the dimension of the spray at 20 feet? 10? 5?

Tousi said:
Reba, with those shotshells, what , if you know, is the dimension of the spray at 20 feet? 10? 5?
I haven't tried them yet.

There is some debate as to whether or not they are good for defense.

I got some info from this site:

http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature1001.html

"In any case, performance with the .38 Special load is just fine. The shot charge makes one ragged hole at 3 feet or so, then begins to spread on the order of 1-inch per foot. From most revolvers we have a not very dense 10-inch pattern at 13 feet. Eight to 10 feet would be the maximum effective range for turkey necks if we were hunting so the pistol with shot charge won’t work there."

I hope I can try it out next week. I only bought one box of 10 shells, so if I'm not satisfied it won't be too much investment wasted.

Yep. Own and carry.

Mossberg 500A home defense shotgun by the bed (magnum 00 buck)
.357 mag hidden downstairs*
.38 snub in the wife's vehicle*
.45ACP S&W 1911Sc with me*
2 old .410 shotguns
1 20ga Mossberg pump
1 old 12ga Winchester 870 'Wingmaster'

*all are loaded with Federal Hydra-Shock hollowpoints

.22LR/.22WRM Ruger Single Six*
.22LR Henry Golden Boy Lever-action rifle*

These are our 'fun guns'. We shoot them as a family. My kids and nephew love shooting these. I taught each of my boys to shoot at age 7.

1911 handguns are my favorites. They are accurate, reliable, and ergonomically the most comfortable, natural gun I've shot.

brianb

Whitewolf1970 said:
Yeah, ... there are high crimes that can't be solved because the bullets are not marked with the serial numbers.

This technology won't work. Bullets deform and are almost destroyed after being fired. A number would never survive.

Besides. Do you really want the government to get into the business of tracking the MILLIONS of bullets that are bought in this country each year?

Just look at Canada. They tried 100% gun registration, and to this day have never solved any crimes using that information.

Whitewolf1970 said:
Still the guns are NOT safe. Take a minute and look around, ....a child walks around in the parents' room and opened the drawers. He saw a shiny object that he liked.

Guns are safer than cars, swimming pools, bicycles, and parents. Far more kids are killed in each of these than are killed by guns each year. Don't believe the hype.

A gun is an object like any other. It's as safe/unsafe, as good/evil as the person who uses it. Guns have no more intrinsic moral value than my keys.

Unless his parents teach him about guns from a very early age. My kids have seen and handled every gun I own. There's no 'adventure' in sneaking around. They don't need to. If they ask to see a gun, I hand it to them. We check that it is safely unloaded together. I also give them safety reminders.

brianb

Reba,
Please let me know the results of your 'experiment'. I'd be curious about that type of shot. It doesn't sound too practical but I could be wrong. I live in an apartment and am concerned about where shot may go. I own shotguns but they are something that I would not use in home defense. I shoot buckshot often and will oftentimes (as you know) there is that one flyer. Don't know if its enough to go through several walls (drywall) and do damage elsewhere. Obviously I need to be concious of this when firing a 9mm or other firearm, but when I shoot my 9, I hit the target every single time and have excellent groups. I'm less concerned about those flyers because it isn't something I have with a round.

BTW, when your bored, take a look at --this video--

I plan to buy a shotgun for my own. Is that true that it does not require anyone to get a permit if you own a shotgun or rifle except handguns? My father has two shotguns, and I do not know what brand they are.

I do not believe that video. He shot too fast in seconds. That is not possible.
I had a skeet and trap game ten years ago.

webexplorer said:

It is possible he is ex-military and he understands the value of shooting very fast first and I do mean shoot first because he was in a kill or be killed environment. I remember one of the kids who was 19-20 years old and he shot guns at the gun range before then he went to Iraq and returned back from Iraq and he shot much, much more faster and more smoothly than ever before but still had the fundamentals and marksmanship dead on accurate and smooth which was frightening to see and he was relaxed and shot so fast and smoothly on the trigger, he was so physically fit that he was able to focus on the marksmanship fundamentals and had a kill or be killed mentality which is required for wartime. When you are that physically fit then the marksmanship skills will start to take care of itself and carry over from there but you still have to apply the marksmanship fundamentals of shooting and it is possible he took the time to understand the mechanisms of shooting the gun and when to shoot and when not to shoot which is why you may think you are seeing full automatic gunfire but it is semi-auto gunfire. He shot the shotgun pretty close and very tight as you can see the shells eject and it reloads itself. He understood how to take advantage of that and not cause a mis-fire which can be very fatal or blow up in your face and take your hand right off with a bloody stump. I would not recommend you do that because that is something experienced gun shooters can do and is very dangerous to attempt. Please shoot your guns at the gun range for fun and always keep safety in mind, you can go to gun competitions and try out for the shooting team. Please keep safety first. Don't try anything foolish especially with firearms. Leave the gun showmanship skills to the gun professionals who can put on a show for the crowd and they do have safety in mind too. As for gun laws... click on this website then scroll downwards for the state laws concerning long guns and handguns in your state.
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Default.aspx

webexplorer said:
I plan to buy a shotgun for my own. Is that true that it does not require anyone to get a permit if you own a shotgun or rifle except handguns? My father has two shotguns, and I do not know what brand they are.

It is possible to shoot that fast...as you just saw demonstrated on the video. Some can shoot faster than others. I can fire off rounds that fast with my 9mm but my accuracy sucks at that high of a rapid fire. Next time I go to the range, I will try to videotape it so you can see how fast one can shoot (and how fast one can shoot accurately),

There is a video I've seen (trying to find it now) of a guy shooting a revolver:

*Fire 8 rds into a single target in 1 second
*Shoot two rounds into each of 4 different targets in 1.06 seconds
*Fire six rounds into a target, reload and fire 6 more rounds in 2.99 seconds

That is from a revolver that had to reload. I can't even do that with my semi-autos LOL

webexplorer said:

It depends on where you live. No permit is required to buy either long guns or handguns in most states. There are several who deprive their citizens of their constitutional rights.

A permit is required to carry a concealed handgun.

webexplorer said:

Don't kid yourself. The video is real. Exhibition shooters like him would have no career if it was fake.

You should see what Bob Munden can do with a single-action revolver. He makes that shotgun guy look REALLY slow.

brianb

Back