Anyone have any advice for a baby who fights sleep like it's poison?

Rocking doesn't seem to do much for her. She likes car rides, but I don't really have any sense of direction. At all. Since we moved here pretty recently, that creates a problem. As far as the mobile goes, she has one as well as a 'waterfall' soother that attachs to the crib. She likes them...but not enough to go to sleep to. Just enough so that I can lay her in the crib awake for a few moments while I do something I can't do while holding her. I know, I know. She sounds spoiled. But, you know, really she is super good when not being put to bed. Thanks for the ideas though!

All great advice, even gin for mama! haha! Ritual, such as at the same time every day, do things in a certain order, bed before she is exhausted. A wind-up swing was nice back in the day. The clicking was kinda hypnotizing. The new quiet battery ones just don't seem to have the same effect. (?) A good play time before supper, a good supper, then a nice soothing chamomile or lavender bath. I usually read them all a book together, and by then, they were so bored or exhausted, they were conked. Whatever works. I never had the heart to let them yell. It hurt my heart. haha. They were soooo spoiled, huh? Have a great Bunny Day, and lots of blessings for everyone.

All great advice, even gin for mama! haha! Ritual, such as at the same time every day, do things in a certain order, bed before she is exhausted. A wind-up swing was nice back in the day. The clicking was kinda hypnotizing. The new quiet battery ones just don't seem to have the same effect. (?) A good play time before supper, a good supper, then a nice soothing chamomile or lavender bath. I usually read them all a book together, and by then, they were so bored or exhausted, they were conked. Whatever works. I never had the heart to let them yell. It hurt my heart. haha. They were soooo spoiled, huh? Have a great Bunny Day, and lots of blessings for everyone.

Loved the thing about gin myself. Might prefer some wine....lots of it....not just for nighttime issues but to help me relax 'round my mum. We have a swing, but it doesn't seem to phase her much. She just kinda sits there and looks at me like 'yeah...right ma. Good one.' The chamomile or lavender bath idea isn't bad. May try that tonight. I know what you mean about not having the heart to let them cry. I can't bear it, even though I can just barely hear her!

My son is 10 and I never let him cry himself to sleep. He woke up every two hours to breast feed until he weaned himself off breast milk at aged 3. Yup, I was exhausted, and yup to this day he knows that if he needs me I will be there for him. Everyone has to decide for themselves what is right for them. Have you tried body work, like as in energy work or massage? How about drumming trance music (like a steady slow beat that mimics the heart beat)? Lavender bath salts and lotion? When my son couldn't sleep and was hyper, I used to have to parallel the high energy he was putting out and then slowly link him to my energy and bring him down. Good luck, it is a hard job being a Mom.

Yes, it's a phase most around your baby's age go thru. Both of mine did, right around your baby's age too and it was pure hell!!! They'd be super cranky 'cause of the refusal to sleep. Or they'd fall asleep, but only sleep anywhere from 5-20 mins, seriously!!! Oh that phase defintely drove me nuts, and the sucky thing is that it lasted months at a time, then I'd have my normal nap-taking & going to bed normally baby for awhile, until the phase is back, like during teething & stuff, which is understandable but still frustrating to go thru! I'm so thankful I have DH to help if I get frustrated & can't manage to do anything else 'cause I have to focus on the baby, he will take baby from me and let me do things, like a bathroom break, start a load of laundry, etc...

Anyways, all I can say is just to be patient... and breathe in & out and say to yourself "this too, shall pass" :) I'm gonna be going thru all that again when that baby arrives.. oooh boy at least I've gone thru it before so I'm prepared! :)

What I want to know is if this is a phase? Have your children fought so hard every single time they need to lay down?

My son is 10 and I never let him cry himself to sleep. He woke up every two hours to breast feed until he weaned himself off breast milk at aged 3. Yup, I was exhausted, and yup to this day he knows that if he needs me I will be there for him. Everyone has to decide for themselves what is right for them. Have you tried body work, like as in energy work or massage? How about drumming trance music (like a steady slow beat that mimics the heart beat)? Lavender bath salts and lotion? When my son couldn't sleep and was hyper, I used to have to parallel the high energy he was putting out and then slowly link him to my energy and bring him down. Good luck, it is a hard job being a Mom.

Wow! Lots of good ideas! I have done message. She likes that as long as we are both calm. I don't really understand what you mean by energy work...would you explain a little about that? I haven't tried drumming music, but if you can suggest a good CD of it, I'll try that. Lotion doesn't work because she, apparently, doesn't like the feel of it....but she does like to be rubbed quietly. I have tried Lavender in a bath recently, and I think she was a little calmer. I want everyone to understand she isn't a 'bad' baby. She's soooo sweet and wonderful. She just really can't seem to help herself. She gets all worked up so easily. And with my mother visting (tense engery personified) she's worse then usual. Thanks so much for your advice. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to hear more about the 'energy work' you were talking about.

Yes, it's a phase most around your baby's age go thru. Both of mine did, right around your baby's age too and it was pure hell!!! They'd be super cranky 'cause of the refusal to sleep. Or they'd fall asleep, but only sleep anywhere from 5-20 mins, seriously!!! Oh that phase defintely drove me nuts, and the sucky thing is that it lasted months at a time, then I'd have my normal nap-taking & going to bed normally baby for awhile, until the phase is back, like during teething & stuff, which is understandable but still frustrating to go thru! I'm so thankful I have DH to help if I get frustrated & can't manage to do anything else 'cause I have to focus on the baby, he will take baby from me and let me do things, like a bathroom break, start a load of laundry, etc...

Anyways, all I can say is just to be patient... and breathe in & out and say to yourself "this too, shall pass" :) I'm gonna be going thru all that again when that baby arrives.. oooh boy at least I've gone thru it before so I'm prepared! :)

What I want to know is if this is a phase? Have your children fought so hard every single time they need to lay down?

Thank you! That really was encouraging. I get so nervous that she is terrified of bed and seriously unhappy or something. You made it sound like she's ok...just a little stubborn. Congrats on your baby...may you have a healthy, happy child!

Make sure she gets herself to sleep before shes 1. My cousin, now 13, didnt sleep in her room on her own till she was 9/10

LOL!! If you get worried, take her to a paed but she must be fine if she hasnt got a temp etc. She's just testing Mommy!

I know. I know. But it's sooooo hard. She looks sooooo sad when I leave her to cry. It breaks my heart in two, it really does.

Awww. Does she have anything that smells of you? Cos i Know some babies like the smell of their mother and that may comfort her so you wont have to be with her

Sorry if it's already been suggested!

You know, that does help to an extent. It calms her, but not enough so that she can settle for very long. In fact that's her now. Vibrating baby monitors are a wonderful thing. I'll talk to you later!

As harsh it may sound. Sometimes you just have to put her to bed and let her fight it out. As hard it is for any mother to hear/see their child cry. Sometimes it is best to let the child get their frustration out. If the baby bed fed, changed and cared for. Sometimes it is best to leave them in their crib and close the door. The child has to learn to sooth him/herself, eventually they will learn to do so. check on her from time to time.

Overstimulated child will fight sleep, Sometimes by just being there cuddling will cause more stimulation.

Yep.

Routine is a must. Establish a good routine. I remember mine with my first child...

Warm bath with lavender soap - lavender is supposed to be soothing. Warm towel and light massage with lotion. Then turn on soft music. Feeding time. Reading time. (Yes, reading. Even as young as 6 months old - we read the works of Shakespeare). Dim the lights. Lay her down in her crib. Kiss her good night and say a bedtime prayer over her.

We did this faithfully every night until she was 2. Lol.

How's Casey's sleeping issues now? Is it better now she has been diagnosed?

I've heard from November... and the baby is doing well-- she was diagnosed with night terrors so they're trying to work thru that :) but she has at least discovered what was wrong... and it's a common problem for babies her age-- she'll grow out of it... which is great news!!!

Ahh, yes! A trying time, but indeed, something she will grow out of.

It seems that every age has its challenges! I recall teething as one of the hardest I endured with my son. Glad to hear an update, and yes - she will grow out of it.

ahh same here..my son is 3 years old now. He always kicked me, hit me hard as play around..even worst I am pregnant, he kicked my stomach..i tried to stop him..He won't listen to me. He loved to play tough and show tough during lay down on bed. I hold his legs and hands..make him stay..he tried to move. I keep hold then he cried. I finally let it go. He do it again, kick me and hit me. I don't understand why he'd do this to me during we lay tog. So I gave up, made him sleep by himself alone in bedroom..with movie on..It worked. He fall asleep fast with movie on after about 10 mins. My bedroom is across from his bedroom. I using laptop while he can see me right here from his bed. So he feel more safe and accepted to be alone in bedroom without me.

Back