Anyone have any advice for a baby who fights sleep like it's poison?

My son did this...fought it for hours!...But I never let him cry himself out or to sleep! He had colic.....I was at my wits end!

I did buy a rocking chair! And also, I would rock him in my arms, in a "swinging motion"....sometimes that helped!...If all I tried failed, I did one last desperate thing!...And that was to put him in the car seat and take him for a ride!...In a few minutes, he was asleep! I also bought a waterfall for his room! He loved it....it's calming! There are times when you do have to get "firm"! But letting him cry himself to sleep, I would not do that!

Back in the "old days" a lot of mothers would put Bendryl into the baby's bottle....or give the baby sugar and water (warm).....I don't recommend that!

Could be ur baby has gas pains! Or the diaper on too tight?...Pajamas too tight??...Loose fitting pajamas is best!....Maybe a baby asprin before bedtime??...Maybe "separation anxiety from you? A night light is good too!

If nothing else works, maybe a talk with ur baby's doctor! "Motherhood" isn't easy, huh??

My son did this...fought it for hours!...But I never let him cry himself out or to sleep! He had colic.....I was at my wits end!

I did buy a rocking chair! And also, I would rock him in my arms, in a "swinging motion"....sometimes that helped!...If all I tried failed, I did one last desperate thing!...And that was to put him in the car seat and take him for a ride!...In a few minutes, he was asleep! I also bought a waterfall for his room! He loved it....it's calming! There are times when you do have to get "firm"! But letting him cry himself to sleep, I would not do that!

Back in the "old days" a lot of mothers would put Bendryl into the baby's bottle....or give the baby sugar and water (warm).....I don't recommend that!

Could be ur baby has gas pains! Or the diaper on too tight?...Pajamas too tight??...Loose fitting pajamas is best!....Maybe a baby asprin before bedtime??...Maybe "separation anxiety from you? A night light is good too!

If nothing else works, maybe a talk with ur baby's doctor! "Motherhood" isn't easy, huh??

Fighting sleep, and separation anxiety is the most likely thing.

but you are right. If all else fails. Best to call the pediatrician.

Agree with the other moms. I had a sleep fighter, too. He still does it to this day, lol, and he's 23 now!

Once you have ruled out that the crying is caused by anything else, sometimes it is necessary for them to cry it out. Actually, it teaches them to learn to soothe themselves, and is a good thing developmentally. All children need to learn to soothe themselves. It is one of the first steps on that long road to independence.

my little brother used to fight my mom when it came to sleep but she'd always hand him to me cause i had(and i'm not bragging or being gross) a bigger softer chest. and what i did was lay him in my arms and pace slowly and while pacing, swing him gently but always kept him close to my chest. sometimes i had to hold him a little tighter than others though cause he'd fight it. i swear that kid could kick the face off mike tyson (took 2 nurses to hold him down for a shot that boy is so STRONG)

my little brother used to fight my mom when it came to sleep but she'd always hand him to me cause i had(and i'm not bragging or being gross) a bigger softer chest. and what i did was lay him in my arms and pace slowly and while pacing, swing him gently but always kept him close to my chest. sometimes i had to hold him a little tighter than others though cause he'd fight it. i swear that kid could kick the face off mike tyson (took 2 nurses to hold him down for a shot that boy is so STRONG)

:rofl:

Dang! He liked 'em pillows, you had! :giggle:

Know what ya mean!!!

I think Ashley's mommy (another poster her) had this problem with her active & stubborn daughter, too.

I had one come thru my home that was colicky (among some other things that caused excessive crying) I would wrap him up tight in a blanket and put him in his car seat-- on top of the dryer w/a towel or a load of clothes in it-- that soothed him better than his swing or his bouncy chair... was convenient too-- since I was doing laundry- he was right there w/me! when they're real little like that and have colic it's HORRIBLE... so glad Adam wasn't colicky!!! just sneaky!! LOL

Perhaps both! JK!! I'm sure momma could use a stiff drink! :giggle:

Orajel, anbesol, or a cold teething ring would be more appropriate for a baby!!
Some Baby Motrin also. To relieve the teething pain.

There are times, I swear! We give her tylenol (for babies) and it helps with the teething, but NOT with the sleep. She is dead-set againist it. Even when I do get her asleep she often wakes up any where from 20 min. to an hour and fights again for up to another hour. ARGH!

I know what you mean. So many people (not just on here) advise crying-it-out...but I can't do it. I really can't. She's my only baby, and may always be, since daddy isn't keen on another one. That, and, I really think somethings wrong sometimes. Other times I know she's just being stubborn. I've tried talking to the doctor...we're going to try a new one soon, actually, but this one said she may be having nightmares! She didn't offer any other kind of ideas. It may be separation anxiety...but, gosh, I do my best. I really do. My little Casey is so sweet and funny most of the time that this is heartbreaking

Agree with the other moms. I had a sleep fighter, too. He still does it to this day, lol, and he's 23 now!

Once you have ruled out that the crying is caused by anything else, sometimes it is necessary for them to cry it out. Actually, it teaches them to learn to soothe themselves, and is a good thing developmentally. All children need to learn to soothe themselves. It is one of the first steps on that long road to independence.

I know that's probably true for many babies. But mine sobs. I can't hear her very well of course, but what I can hear is heartbreaking. You can see tears streaming down her poor little face...and her daddy (who can hear) goes crazy with worry too. I mean, how does anyone just leave a little baby to cry? I just don't get it. (not that I'm saying it doesn't work for most, as it seems too, but how do you live with yourself? I mean...I would hate myself if I did that, I'm pretty sure)

I had one come thru my home that was colicky (among some other things that caused excessive crying) I would wrap him up tight in a blanket and put him in his car seat-- on top of the dryer w/a towel or a load of clothes in it-- that soothed him better than his swing or his bouncy chair... was convenient too-- since I was doing laundry- he was right there w/me! when they're real little like that and have colic it's HORRIBLE... so glad Adam wasn't colicky!!! just sneaky!! LOL

She's too strong to swaddle now, dang it. I don't think she's colicky..she just seems scared or something. sooooo sad. Lol. I know all about sneaky! Casey is only 7 months, but there are times I'm sure she's being sly.

I've heard a little whiskey helps... helps w/teething too LOL again I'm thinking it'd be much more beneficial for mom to drink it! LOL :giggle:

Here's the prescription for that one:

Pour a glass of whiskey. Dip your finger in and rub on baby's gums. Take a big drink. Repeat as necessary.:giggle:

I know that's probably true for many babies. But mine sobs. I can't hear her very well of course, but what I can hear is heartbreaking. You can see tears streaming down her poor little face...and her daddy (who can hear) goes crazy with worry too. I mean, how does anyone just leave a little baby to cry? I just don't get it. (not that I'm saying it doesn't work for most, as it seems too, but how do you live with yourself? I mean...I would hate myself if I did that, I'm pretty sure)

My solution was to go back into his room and make sure that he was all right, and could see that I was still there in the house so he knew he wasn't all alone. I would then go back out of his room after signing "Sleep time." If he cried for an extended period, I quite often, would go to my room and cry, too. But I wouldn't take him out of his crib. Babies will repeat behaviors that have gotten them what they want in the past. If crying has gotten them out of the crib so they didn't have to go to sleep, the next time they don't want to go to sleep, they will again cry because they know that gets Mom to do what they want her to do. They really are very cunning and smart little things.

I understand, from a Mom's point of view, that it is difficult to hear your child cry like that. But keep in mind, too, that if a little whimper doesn't get what she wants, she will keep getting louder until she gets a response. If you simply reassure her, and let her know that you are there to tend to her, but will not back up on the fact that it is time for her to sleep, she will get the message.

It's not easy... but as long as I know Adam is ok (not sick, not hurt, etc)-- then I'll let him work thru it... sometimes it's harder than others (depending on his mood)... he does this pathetic sobbing thing sometimes that sounds heart wrenching... BUT as soon as he sees MY SHADOW-- not even ME but my shadow in the hallway-- he stops and is giggling... so I KNOW he's ok-- and he's just playing me~~ for attention. I go in and check on him, but I don't get him out of the bed on most occasions... he's had cuddle time and his bedtime ritual and now it's sleepy time-- Part of it is learning boundaries, she's testing her boundaries w/you... I think Jillio said self soothing is something they have to learn, it's part of their developmental progress... And honestly it's something my pediatrican quizzes me on when I take A for check ups... is he able to self soothe...

I would suggest talking to your ped about it if she's been doing it for a while now... to get their opinion...

Back