Anti-Catholic bigotry

Status
Not open for further replies.
DD--Not all of us who are from the South are anti-Catholic. I happen to live in the Bible Belt
Yeah, I know, but I just used it as an example b/c you think extreme religion, and you think the Bible Belt (Bob Jones University anyone?)

Rose Immortal said:
The Orthodox church mentions the idea that all truth in this world, regardless of where it is found, is of God...that when another religion states something that is true, then it is of God.
I quite admire this stance. We can all say the sky is blue and be telling the truth, and a church which otherwise speaks many truths, can claim the sky is green, and they are wrong anyway.

Because I believe in an omnipresent God who takes all thoughts and all experiences in, even harmful, hateful or bad thoughts are part of God just as they are part of me. I am not a hateful person, and I work hard not to be a hateful person, but I have felt hate in my life - I can't deny that. I like to believe God wants more of me than that, and I want more of myself, but I am human. I won't try to justify hate though.

I just try to reserve hate for inanimate objects like broccolli and that thing I stubbed my toe on in the middle of the night.

Teresh said:
So, if they are beautiful people, why do you say that their lives, indeed, their very existence is sinful? You're contradicting yourself.

Well, it is true that it is sin - it is what Jesus taught about what sins are. I have my own sins as well. Everyone have their own sins. I never said that I am better than anyone.

No I don't. I keep my distance from hateful individuals in person.

Then, why is it that we still converse with each other in our posts to get to know each other ?

That's nice. What does it have to do with what I said?

My uncle wasn't a homosexual when he got HIV. He had his own teen kids and a wife. You said "As a lesbian, my chance of getting HIV or developing AIDS is far less than yours ".

Scroll up. It's mentioned earlier in the thread. Rose Immortal asked about it.

I got it. Thanks !

Shame on you for being content being ignorant. You won't understand God if you close your mind off to thought and reason.

Oh, yes I already read many, many books from a long time ago. I read about Mormons, JWs, Muslims, and others. JW don't believe in Trinity. They believe in 3 faces separately from each other as a person. I read books when I was young after I found Jesus Christ. It's why I don't need to explore more. The next step I am explorin' is " Secret Society "....

I didn't say that Yeshua was naive. I said that you're naive for thinking everyone in the world are Christian when the majority aren't.

I didn't say that or think that EVERYONE in the world are Christian.

Funny how Jewish tradition is different from Christian tradition in this regard when Christianity's roots are in Judaism. Maybe you'd learn something about your religion if you educated yourself a bit in its history.

I am Gentile, not Jewish.

Cyber red, I know its very hard to make a good picture how to describe Trinity. Many thought we worship 3 gods, which we don't. There is 3 Godhead, not 3 gods as many thought that who we worship, but we don't. JW doesn't believe that. I have met JW as I read there pamphlet called watchtower, I was sadden how they got messed up of lot of things. As the story about Lucifer pride trying to be equal with God, that is also Father, Son and Holy Spirit, thrown Lucifer and other angels many as millions of them who agree with Lucifer out from Heaven.

hottiedeafboi said:
Cyber red, I know its very hard to make a good picture how to describe Trinity. Many thought we worship 3 gods, which we don't. There is 3 Godhead, not 3 gods as many thought that who we worship, but we don't. JW doesn't believe that. I have met JW as I read there pamphlet called watchtower, I was sadden how they got messed up of lot of things. As the story about Lucifer pride trying to be equal with God, that is also Father, Son and Holy Spirit, thrown Lucifer and other angels many as millions of them who agree with Lucifer out from Heaven.

Hottie, it's easy to describe Trinity. It's just like an egg.

For example :

Father = shell
Jesus = yolk
Holy Spirit = white

And, all these 3 are in ONE egg together ...accordin' to its agreement to work together.

Hahaha, I know how u mean, but really in some way it isn't good way how to put it. But I could say may be a good picture, like man and a woman to be married, when they are married 2 flesh becomes one. But not the same way as how God does, bec husband and wife do have some disagreements, but must be worked out. But that's not how God The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit, bec they have one mind which is unity, never have to be so call discussion or agreeing , bec God is already established. Some pastors think that eggs is a good example of describing Trinity, which some pastors doesn't think its a good way describing but does make sense by picture that. But to me, I understand how Trinity works and is. But I do percieved the idea of Trinity. But many other couldn't see the idea how that possible. Smile

hottiedeafboi said:
Hahaha, I know how u mean, but really in some way it isn't good way how to put it. But I could say may be a good picture, like man and a woman to be married, when they are married 2 flesh becomes one. But not the same way as how God does, bec husband and wife do have some disagreements, but must be worked out. But that's not how God The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit, bec they have one mind which is unity, never have to be so call discussion or agreeing , bec God is already established. Some pastors think that eggs is a good example of describing Trinity, which some pastors doesn't think its a good way describing but does make sense by picture that. But to me, I understand how Trinity works and is. But I do percieved the idea of Trinity. But many other couldn't see the idea how that possible. Smile

Aww :(
You insult me by laughin'. :squint:
I am just kiddin', bro. LOL Yeah, I know what you mean about a man and woman in one. I agree with you about God's established is already made. He is always perfect. The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost are fitted together in ONE perfect shoe -- just like ONE glove you could glide it on. Smooth and there's no friction in it. Always peace and joy ! :D

Thanks for your feedback. :hug:

CyberRed said:
I am Gentile, not Jewish.

That doesn't stop you from educating yourself on Judaism. I'm not Jewish either, but I know quite a bit myself. I doubt many Jews would turn you away if you said you wanted to learn more about Judaism.

I find it ironic that if Yeshua was a Jew and Christians talk so much about being "Christ-like" they can't fathom learning anything about the history of the people that gave rise to their savior.

Teresh said:
Nope... The Tanakh [תנ״ך] is what Christians call the Old Testament. The Torah [תורה] consists of only the first five books, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. The Tanakh is the Torah plus the Prophets [נביאים] and Writings [כתובים]. You can look up the contents of the Prophets and Writings sections on Wikipedia if you're really interested, but for all intents and purposes the Tanakh and the Old Testament are one in the same.

Whoops...I'd only heard "Pentateuch" or "the Law" for the first 5 books.

Rose Immortal said:
Whoops...I'd only heard "Pentateuch" or "the Law" for the first 5 books.

Indeed, the word "Torah" can be translated as "Law". "Pentateuch" is a Greek word (I presume of Christian origin) for the Torah.

Teresh said:
Indeed, the word "Torah" can be translated as "Law". "Pentateuch" is a Greek word (I presume of Christian origin) for the Torah.

Most likely of Christian origin, yes. I believe Jesus used a Greek version of the Old Testament (Septuagint) to quote scripture.

Teresh said:
That doesn't stop you from educating yourself on Judaism. I'm not Jewish either, but I know quite a bit myself. I doubt many Jews would turn you away if you said you wanted to learn more about Judaism.

I find it ironic that if Yeshua was a Jew and Christians talk so much about being "Christ-like" they can't fathom learning anything about the history of the people that gave rise to their savior.

Ok, Teresh -- I have a question for you : I heard that the author who wrote the original bible ( ancient ), he wrote " Yeshua " as God's Original Name but, someone ( other author ) changed it to " Jehovah " in modern days bible. Is it true ?

CyberRed said:
Ok, Teresh -- I have a question for you : I heard that the author who wrote the original bible ( ancient ), he wrote " Yeshua " as God's Original Name but, someone ( other author ) changed it to " Jehovah " in modern days bible. Is it true ?

"Yeshua" is the most accurate way to romanise ישוע, which is the Hebrew/Aramaic name of the one you call Jesus of Nazareth. "Jesus" is a more common romanisation, indeed, its root is historical in English development, but it is nonetheless not entirely accurate from a historical perspective. The prophet יונה from the Tanakh, specifically the Book of Prophets, is commonly romanised Jonah, though by modern Israeli standards it is accepted his name was probably pronounced Yonah. It's a fact that it is not easy to transliterate Biblical Hebrew to Modern English for a number of reasons, mainly just the fact that Biblical Hebrew does not have vowels (niqqud were introduced much later) and that even in Modern Hebrew many of the consonants do not really have an English equivalent. (There is no accurate way to romanise ח for example, but people typically go with "ch", however wrong it may be.)

"Jehovah" is a romanisation (albeit not the most common one) of יהוה, which is one of the several names of God found in the Tanakh. Most Christians I know would transliterate this Yahweh, whereas most Jews I know would either not transliterate it or use YHWH to emphasise that speaking God's name is considered taboo.

So, technically, JWs are worshipping the same God Christians worship when Christians pray to Yahweh, but they're simply using a different transliteration of the name in Hebrew.

On the other subject addressed in your post, there are several different authors, both of the Tanakh and of the New Testament. There was not one person who wrote the entire thing.

Teresh said:
The prophet יונה from the Tanakh, specifically the Book of Prophets, is commonly romanised Jonah, though by modern Israeli standards it is accepted his name was probably pronounced Yonah.

In some countries that use the Latin alphabet, the "J" DOES carry a "y" sound. For instance, the name of the apostle John is "Ioannes" in Greek, and spelled "Johannes" in German--and the "J" is pronounced as a "y". I believe this is true of Italian as well, and many Slavic countries.

Spanish, French, and English do not do this. But I think that may help to explain WHY the "j" appeared.

Rose Immortal said:
Spanish, French, and English do not do this. But I think that may help to explain WHY the "j" appeared.

It's entirely possible. I don't know enough about the history of Hebrew romanisation to make an informed statement on where the "J" came from.

Teresh said:
The word "Pentateuch" comes from the word "penta" which means "5". Pentateuch basically means "a text of 5 parts". It would not be of Christian origin per se, but it is how Christians technically refer to the first 5 books of what is now the Old Testament.

Rose Immortal said:
I've been really disturbed by several posts I've seen in my time of being here, with certain comments about Catholics. I've seen them treated by some as non-Christians, heretics, and so on.

Why is it OK to persecute others who claim the name of Christ?

Why is it OK to persecute ANYONE?

Take this statement from the Greek Orthodox Church and think about it very carefully, what it implies about such behavior even towards those with whom one does not agree:

For reference, a "heterodox" is the Orthodox term for one who does not follow their religion.

Switching back to discussion of the Catholic church, I do not agree with many things that the Vatican says and does. However, I do NOT feel like I have permission to insult Catholics or treat them as heretics. It is the same as disliking a nation's government--you can dislike the government and its policies, but to hate all of the people of that nation is un-called-for, and un-Christian.

I should like to hope there are some that will stand with me in this.

Reference: "An Orthodox Christian View of Non-Christian Religions" http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article8089.asp

My friends and I have been attacked by those conservative christians more than those non christian, now u know where I came from. They do not know how very strong I am with Jesus Christ even thou I am practicing Catholic for many years.

They told me I am not being saved many time, that pissed me off many time. They are no different from us so what make them so special to Him and not us. Anyway sorry about those anger feeling but I am appreciate u for bring this attention here on AD.

Well jazzy, u know even come catholics thinks I'm not one of them because I'm a Baptist. Important part is not what church we go will go to heaven, only One Way is receiving Christ in our lives. Well, also like the church I used to go back in oklahoma, bapist church, we had Lord's Supper or call communion, as a pastor said, the Lord's Supper is for those who have received Jesus Christ as ur personal Savior can take this, not what church u go. Well, I went to friend of mine church who are catholic has their communion, but I can't take it bec I'm not a catholic, I do felt offended, bec they look at me as label church not my faith in Christ. So, as for me, its good to know where u go to church, but not by dividing it as a Body of Christ, Body of Christ is those who have received Christ, not based on what church u go. Smile

hottiedeafboi said:
Well jazzy, u know even come catholics thinks I'm not one of them because I'm a Baptist. Important part is not what church we go will go to heaven, only One Way is receiving Christ in our lives. Well, also like the church I used to go back in oklahoma, bapist church, we had Lord's Supper or call communion, as a pastor said, the Lord's Supper is for those who have received Jesus Christ as ur personal Savior can take this, not what church u go. Well, I went to friend of mine church who are catholic has their communion, but I can't take it bec I'm not a catholic, I do felt offended, bec they look at me as label church not my faith in Christ. So, as for me, its good to know where u go to church, but not by dividing it as a Body of Christ, Body of Christ is those who have received Christ, not based on what church u go. Smile

Yeah I unds what u mean, anyone who want to join CC, they need to go to class for this before get communion. That is what they do with any newcomers and youngesters. U right anyone should take communions but u don't go CC, just visiting right?. I would do same if I go to thier church alike Baptist, I won't take thier communion because I don't belong in that church, just visiting.

Remmy I don't always don't agree with many of their views but I found Him in that church that is why I am staying there. Why do I need to change my religion and still don't agree with them also. What is difference? all of them have flaws in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back