Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

^^^Sheesh! I've heard that too many times on AD. And I've only been here a few months!

I find it odd no one has given me anything printed in Braille yet given all these reports.

However, I recall playing one online text based game called MUME (Multi-Users In Middle Earth) and one of the players never could get it thru her thick head that I was not a latter day Helen Keller. She couldn't understand how a blind person could play it. I kept telling her I'm just deaf - not blind. I'm no Helen Keller. :P

Why did you want to help her? she was some random stranger in a library and you, out of the blue, thought "i want to help this girl."

why? and what made you think she needs your help?

Deaf people have been treated by many peers as stupid. It's a fact. When I was in elementary school, I was one of the top performing students. If I had the highest grade on a test, believe it or not, my peers would tell the teacher I must have cheated by peeking at their answers.

In high school, I was paired up with a honour student for a debate in Advanced Economics class - he made such a huge scene about being paired up with the deaf girl, especially because he thought I would bring his grade average down.

Guess what? I got a higher grade than he did for the debate. People came up to me and high-fived me. They didn't do that to him.

so, when deaf people grow up around people who think they can't do well in school and obviously need help, it gets really old and tiresome fast.

You just need to try stepping into her shoes and imagine what her school life must have been like growing up, dealing with hearing people thinking that because she's deaf, she obviously must need help with her studies like she's not smart enough to learn subjects as well as if not better than them.

You got upset because your ego took precedence over trying to understand it from her point of view.

I remember that I got teamed with one hearing girl in my college English class (English 115 if I recall correctly.) and I got the highest grade in English class and that hearing girl got an F on the project that we worked on together. I've always gotten the highest grades in my English classes.

Hey DJ
Sorry that you had such a rough start here at AD.
No I'm not the welcoming committee but just posting on behalf of myself to say don't feel discouraged.
Yeah the situation could have been handled better but same goes with all different cultures and languages.
There will be misunderstandings and offences taken on both sides.
Best thing to do is live and learn from it. If people don't learn about cultures and just go assuming about others then things go wrong.

That's actually how most wars start.

I'm far from knowledgeable about deaf culture being newly HOH myself but I stick around and try to lean and hope you will also.

JabberJay

Why did you want to help her? she was some random stranger in a library and you, out of the blue, thought "i want to help this girl."

why? and what made you think she needs your help?

Deaf people have been treated by many peers as stupid. It's a fact. When I was in elementary school, I was one of the top performing students. If I had the highest grade on a test, believe it or not, my peers would tell the teacher I must have cheated by peeking at their answers.

In high school, I was paired up with a honour student for a debate in Advanced Economics class - he made such a huge scene about being paired up with the deaf girl, especially because he thought I would bring his grade average down.

Guess what? I got a higher grade than he did for the debate. People came up to me and high-fived me. They didn't do that to him.

so, when deaf people grow up around people who think they can't do well in school and obviously need help, it gets really old and tiresome fast.

You just need to try stepping into her shoes and imagine what her school life must have been like growing up, dealing with hearing people thinking that because she's deaf, she obviously must need help with her studies like she's not smart enough to learn subjects as well as if not better than them.

You got upset because your ego took precedence over trying to understand it from her point of view.

He didn't know she was deaf. He wasn't trying to help a "poor deaf girl", he was trying to chat up a cute chica :naughty:

She was in the library and I noticed she was reading a psych textbook that I had used in a previous semester. I approached her and asked if she was taking the same class and was going to offer her help as I had done pretty well in the course (and she was prettttty darn cute). She looked up at me with a strange look and so I repeated the question (still not knowing that she was deaf). She shook her head 'no' at which point I wondered if perhaps she was deaf/HoH so I politely asked. She wrote on a piece of paper "Yes, but I don't need any help from your ears."

To me, it sounds like you asked her, and once she got the question, she said no. THEN, you asked if she was deaf and she drew the conclusion that you wanted to help her because she was deaf.

It sounds like the convo went like this:
1: Do you need help with this class?
2: ?
2: No.
1: Are you deaf?
2: Yes, but I don't need any help from your ears.

It appears to me that your "deaf" question came after she'd answered the original one.

Honestly, I would've been offended (as a hearing person) if you'd have offered me help because I'm pretty darn good in psych, and you can't draw the conclusion that I need help just because I'm in the library with a textbook you used to have.

However, I recall playing one online text based game called MUME (Multi-Users In Middle Earth) and one of the players never could get it thru her thick head that I was not a latter day Helen Keller. She couldn't understand how a blind person could play it.

After a quick search to make sure, blind people can play it. All they need is a screen reader that supports Java.:)

Not that that really has any relation to you.:P

To me, it sounds like you asked her, and once she got the question, she said no. THEN, you asked if she was deaf and she drew the conclusion that you wanted to help her because she was deaf.

It sounds like the convo went like this:
2: ?
2: No.
1: Are you deaf?
2: Yes, but I don't need any help from your ears.

It appears to me that your "deaf" question came after she'd answered the original one.

Honestly, I would've been offended (as a hearing person) if you'd have offered me help because I'm pretty darn good in psych, and you can't draw the conclusion that I need help just because I'm in the library with a textbook you used to have.

After a quick search to make sure, blind people can play it. All they need is a screen reader that supports Java.:)

Not that that really has any relation to you.:P

Good observation.

It was offensive of the guy to do that in the library.

Good for the deaf girl to tell him off!

Can't this guy get his own thread?

This is a ranting thread, specific for D/deaf about ignorant hearies...

Not one for hearies about D/deaf .... (ponders that fire cracker...)

THExistential, :hug: :wave: welcome to AllDeaf! I know very well of that feeling of being denied access to my community and I remember that feeling of finally belonging when I first came across this forum. It was like nothing I have felt before. Don't worry about the long post, I've been known to put up a few as well. I think it is because we finally feel that we have a place where 1) we can tell our stories about what we had and still have to deal with and 2) not have to worry about someone thinking it is a personal attack on them as a hearing person, so it all comes pouring out.

Like you I was born "HoH" and it wasn't until I started school that they realized it, so that was when I got my first hearing aids. Everyone thought that the HAs would be enough for me to "magically" become "hearing". Like you, I was tormented by my peers, but I am happy that there were at least a couple times where I didn't fight, but I didn't stand down either. I think the fact that we are so smart and were able to take the advanced class is a sort of justice with how some hearing people try to pretend that our hearing level dictates our intelligence.

While I was able to do very well in school (I still believe I could have excelled so much more in the right environment), I suffered socially. Like you, I had no friends. There were friendly people, but none where we went the step further and developed a friendship. I met my first deaf/hh person in college. There were a couple of deaf/hh at the college (all friendly) and we started learning ASL together and hung out a little, but we went our separate ways after college. I made my first friend last year at the age of 27.

I am sorry to hear about all of your troubles, including the ones that led to you dropping out, that is just awful of that teacher. Also, I am disgusted by the teacher who is spanish (although I am happy to hear that you are doing well in your college classes). "I'm using my hearing loss as an excuse to slack off and not pay attention." and "I should try harder because with a hearing aid I shouldn't have a problem." :rl::mad::roll:

After reading that story, my sister told me an experience she had, which equally shocked and angered me like your story. Just so you know, my sister has enough hearing loss to qualify for hearing aids, but she does not use any or any other accommodations. She also has an auditory processing problem (not yet diagnosed if she has the disorder) that makes it harder for her to hear/understand speech, especially with background noise. My sister explained that she arrived at her college class early and, while waiting for the professor to show up and start, she decided to get ahead in that class's reading. She did not notice when the teacher arrived and told the class they were going to start; She did not hear him tell her to not read in his class again, and again, and again; It wasn't until he was screaming at her to leave his class for daring to read while he was trying to lecture that she even noticed anything. She left clearly upset, found a secluded place, and started crying as she felt horrible since she had not intended to show any disrespect. She was even nice enough to email him and apologize for not hearing him and seeming to be disrespectful.

I find it funny how you are allowed to be rude to someone but the second someone does it to you, they're audists. I posted a valid story that sheds some light on the other side of the bridge and you dismiss it. You make it hard to accept the deaf/HoH community when you don't accept the hearing community.

Some of my beliefs on rudeness are as follows: Rudeness does not have anything to do with hearing/deafness status (or any other characteristic), so I agree that there can be rude hearing and rude deaf. When a hearing person is rude towards a deaf person (and vice versa), it sometimes is due to audist views (or deafist views) and sometimes is due to them simply being rude. Also, person B being rude due to person A's rudeness does not negate or excuse person B's rudeness.

dj_destroyer, I appreciate that you understand where we are coming from. :ty: While I do think the girl could have responded better towards your offering of help, I am not very surprised. From what you said, it seems from her response answering that she was 1) deaf and 2) not wanting help from your "ears", it sounds like (first assumption) 'she thought you were offering help "from your ears" since she was deaf' or (simpler assumption) 'she must need help since she is deaf' or (simplest assumption) 'she must be stupid since she is deaf'. It doesn't take much to go from the first to the last assumption. When deaf/hh people meet hearing people, enough times the hearing equate our hearing loss with our intelligence. After the number of experiences, a person's natural developed reaction will be to get on the defensive rather than risk being hurt. It may seem like a simple thing offering help, but for the other person it takes more risk to wait and see what the true intentions are. Like you, I took psychology (did very well if I might say so), so I am more conscious about what I do and think (or at least I try to be). So I try, when I can remember, to give people the benefit of the doubt.

The people here, I don't think were trying to dismiss your story. The first poster replying simply seemed to be pointing out that this was a thread about "Annoying ignorant hearing people", so a story about "a rude experience with a deaf person" would not necessarily fit, although not necessarily unwelcomed either. As for this forum, a lot of people here have been very hurt over the years due to what they have had to experience from the hearing community due to their deafness. Like I said, after enough negative experiences with a certain group or on a certain topic, the natural developed response is to get on the defensive with another person from that group or another time that the topic is broached.

Imagine a dog or cat that was repeatedly abused by its previous owner. When a new owner adopts the dog or cat, that dog or cat can react with shyness, fear, and even react with aggression just by the presence or approach of the new owner. It will take time for the dog or cat to realize that this person is not going to abuse them and, after that, it will take more time to realize other people won't necessarily abuse them either (okay, for a second there I imagined deaf people being pets and wearing collars, etc, :giggle:). Not saying that you should put up with people abusing you, but I hope you will not write off the deaf/hh community due to this defensiveness as there are still people within the community that want to welcome and embrace people from the hearing community when they show interest and kindness.

My hearing boss wanted me to start using my voice because apparently she can't understand ASL and she has a deaf brother... I'm no voice in public by choice and she should respect that... But nooooo! Oh and her deaf brother vouched for her by telling me that deaf people who don't use their voice are not equal to the hearies. So if I want to be an equal... I should turn on my voice. I was silently fuming, but I nodded my head and walked away.

Wow! :roll: I don't think your hearing boss has any say or right in whether you use your voice or not. :mad: I agree that that is your choice and she should respect that! I think it was very rude that the deaf brother tried to say that "deaf people who don't use their voice are not equal to hearies". :mad2: Deaf people have every right to choose between voicing English and signing ASL and, no matter what, are every bit as equal as hearing. That "deaf brother" is clearly not Deaf, but audist/Hearing (signed at the forehead) and they disgust me. :rl: Sorry you had to deal with that at your workplace. :hug:

Thank you at least for an honest reply, but:

1. If the girl thinks that by me asking if she needs help, I'm implying that she's stupid then she has self-confidence/social issues. I don't think anyone ever means that when they offer help.

2. I had no idea she was deaf and if I did, that CERTAINLY wouldn't be the reason I offer help.

3. My intent was honest and genuine... I wanted to help her if she needed it. If we started chatting and hit it off then so be it, but that was secondary.

In life, you have to realize a few things.

One: That you have your honest intent, whatever that might be.

Two: That people generally will find a way not to interpret things the way you want them to.

Three: Thus inevitably, there will be misunderstandings.

The way you *want* the world and other people to be will not line up with what reality is. The reality is that people generally won't be the way you want them to be. Even your closest friends that you get along with really well won't view reality in exactly the same way you want them to.

You may not have intended to insult the woman, and you are shocked she interpreted you that way.

But people are people. What you said could be insulting to one person and not to another. She may have been feeling cruddy and not wanted to talk to anyone, or not. She might have just dealt with a break up, or not.

You have no idea. You are also making your own interpretation of what she was doing when she said that to you. Your interpretation might not match up with reality, either.

I suggest that you consider this a learning experience. If you want to talk to someone, try starting a regular conversation instead of asking right off the bat if they want help with something. Like, 'Oh, a psychology book! How do you like that class? Good teacher? Freud was kinda crazy, wasn't he?" ;-)

That's basically conversational skills. Just learning what tends to get you in the door more often than not.

But you can never control a person's reaction, or really understand the reality of why they reacted a certain way. Everything, her view of you, and your view of her, is an interpretation of reality viewed through a lens. It isn't reality itself.

Or to put it another way, she might have had a "Map of Reality" where it says that if a hearie approaches her and asks if she needs help, that hearie is assuming that she is "dumb" because she's deaf, and that hearie needs to go away ASAP. (It doesn't matter whether that was your intent or not.)

And you had a "Map of Reality" were it says that if you ask someone if they need help and they refuse a bit impolitely (by your standards, anyway), that means that they are socially and emotionally insecure. (It doesn't matter whether that was really true about her or not, that's what your map says.)

Not only are Maps often wrong in many details (because of a misprint or lazy cartographer ;-) ), but they are merely representations, not reality itself.

Make an adjustment to your map and move on. That's the best advice I can give you. You are going to be dealing with other people's Maps of Reality for as long as you live. Get used to it and develop the skills to deal with it.

This appeared in today's Dear Abby

DEAR ABBY: My 16-year-old son, "Victor," is hearing-impaired. He wears hearing aids in both ears. The aids are small and not easily seen.
Recently we were in a new doctor's office, and the nurse was talking to my son but looking in another direction. When I explained that Victor is hearing-impaired and couldn't hear her, she replied, "Oh, I know teenagers -- selective hearing." I said, "No, he is hearing-impaired and wears hearing aids."

The same thing happened at summer camp. My husband said Victor has a hearing problem, and the counselor responded with, "So I need to smack him on the side of his head to get him to listen?"

Please inform your readers that hearing aids aren't just for older people. My son has informed people he wears hearing aids because he can't hear well, and he still gets the same smart-alecky retorts. Have you any suggestions? -- NOT BEING FLIPPANT IN PENNSYLVANIA

DEAR NOT BEING FLIPPANT: Oh, yes. The nurse in your doctor's office was tactless. If she didn't apologize for her comment, you should have mentioned it to the doctor so he could educate her not only about hearing loss, but also about diplomacy. As to the ignorant camp counselor, your husband should have immediately reported it to the camp director.

After reading your letter, I consulted Dr. Rick Friedman at the House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles, who told me that approximately one in 2,000 children is born with hearing problems. (There is a genetic component, and hearing problems can run in families.) Being subjected to loud noises can also have a negative impact on hearing, and Dr. Friedman said studies are being conducted to determine to what extent.

The same thing happened at summer camp. My husband said Victor has a hearing problem, and the counselor responded with, "So I need to smack him on the side of his head to get him to listen?"

:eek3: Damn.

Damn is right. So comforting to have these people in charge where you leave your child.

Wirelessly posted (dorothybaez)

shel90 said:
One of my deaf friends was handed a brialle version of the safety precautions on a flight today by the stewardess. Oh boy...

Oh, say it ain't so!

Wirelessly posted (dorothybaez)

shel90 said:
One of my deaf friends was handed a brialle version of the safety precautions on a flight today by the stewardess. Oh boy...

Oh, say it ain't so!

Damn is right. So comforting to have these people in charge where you leave your child.

At summer camp for Boy Scouts, I was on a climbing wall. Basically, we'd rope up, climb to the top, stand at the top and work our way down again.

Climbing down is harder than climbing up, because you're trying to ensure your grip as you hang over the top edge and get your grip. The older boy at the top got impatient with me and tried to force me to lose my grip, so I'd fall down (caught by the rope). He was shouting at me to do (something) and I couldn't understand him.

So I lost my grip and the rope system caught me on my way down. One of the adults with my troop got ticked off and ripped that older boy a new one.

Ok... so from yesterday...
I went to see my ENT because my Audi was concerned that my hearing had dropped so quickly recently... (in 4 months left ear dropped 10 db and right ear dropped 20 db)... so my audi really just wanted to know if there was an underlaying cause to it or not... Wow, it's been eight months since my last audiogram and I just had another one due to a recently developed intolerance to sound. It also showed a quick drop in my hearing and my audi referred me to go see an ENT (I haven't seen one in years, so I'll be a new patient for whichever one I choose) for the same reason. so when I first called (using my vp) to make the appt... they told me they couldn't get me a terp... that I would have to bring one with me... no, that is their responsibility, not yours after politely (or at least in my head) reminding them that the ADA states I want one, they give me one... good for you they said they would call back. so I got the the appt yesterday... the terp was there... it was great... happy to 'hear' but then in the paperwork i needed to fill out... there was one... very... insulting question... "what is your primary language? 1. English 2. Spanish" ... really... out of all the languages that are used here... they only put 2? :shock::roll: I show my terp, who has 2 deaf kids herself, and she gets mad too... then when I tell them that it is insulting... they say... but isn't ASL english? ggrrrrrrrrrrrr no... its not... its very different... I don't know if I would have been able to show a lot of restraint, due to wanting to chew off their heads (figuratively)
Then we get into the office... and they start talking to my terp... tell her this tell her that... no talk as if the terp wasn't there... I am surprised that, as an ENT office, they haven't previously experienced having a deaf/hh patient that uses an interpreter. Otherwise, there is no excuse and they should have known better why don't you use your hearing aids all the time? why don't you voice? why don't they sign does your voice change after you eat? WTF... WTF Then the doctor comes in... and he starts talking loud so that "i can hear him"... thats why the terp is there... *smacks forehead*

so the ent... not so great of a visit... but the terp was good! (trying to look on the bright side of things) oh!! and the ENT didn't even mention a CI!!!

Glad that at least the terp was there and was good, sorry to hear that the visit wasn't great. As I mentioned, I am trying to setup my own ENT appointment, and I am praying I don't have to deal with that or worse. Hope that you and I are both able to find some answers we are looking for.

Okay I've not posted here before but these 2 people really annoyed me with their questions so I had to mention it, I don't care if they're hearing or not, you shouldn't ask things like this :\
"Are your brothers and sisters normal?"
I was like o_O NORMAL?
And another person asked
"I know deaf people who speak funny and it's a weird tone, do you talk like that?"
:\

Back