Animal Cruelty is okay?

I didn't mean you, Angel! Sorry about that..

I am just taken aback on how some deaf members of AD would be so quick to say cats and dogs should get implants. That's the attitude I don't like.

Even though this vlog is about animals on Death Row, her point was accurate on how hearing (and some "d"eaf) people in general view animals with deafness is same on how they view deafness in humans.

Oh yeah, I completely agreed with you there!!

Wow. I cannot believe how quick you were to say it is such a nice thing to have CIs because without CIs, Deaf people are sad miserable beings who need to hear.

That's the message I am getting from you ladies.

Yea, I am with u on that one. My brother hasnt worn HAs for 20 years and he is happy without them. I wouldnt call him a sad and miserable being. :roll:

Why waste so much money to implant animals when there are thousands of neglected and abused pets that could use the money to save them?

Looks to me like you're all trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, and use this subject as a reason to enforce your own viewpoint. If the cat seems happy and healthy what's the problem? This shouldn't become a political soapbox.

Looks to me like you're all trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, and use this subject as a reason to enforce your own viewpoint. If the cat seems happy and healthy what's the problem? This shouldn't become a political soapbox.

What's the point of implanting animals? I dont get it.

Now I'm not saying that this is not animal cruelty because it is, we don't often see pets wearing glasses, riding on wheelchairs etc, Cochlear implants are just hearing aids for profoundly deaf people and they're not for animals...
i've seen some dogs on wheelchairs.

Cats are not made to wear CI and a heavy battery pack.

I'm lost!
Are we talking about cats were used for experimenting the
CI?

Are we talking cats are implanted CI because of deafness?
Who would pay and how much does it cost to implant a pet? Is
it covered by a pet insurance?

Cats are not made to wear CI and a heavy battery pack.

and Dogs are meant to wear a harness and lead blind people? Or wear a leash and alert deaf people to sounds? Your argument doesn't hold water.

and Dogs are meant to wear a harness and lead blind people? Or wear a leash and alert deaf people to sounds? Your argument doesn't hold water.

Dogs can be trained, but cats are near impossible to train. Again, it is not the point of the topic.

I don't see how a CI would benefit that cat. I know a few Deaf cats and they're fine without the need for surgery and carrying around battery packs It's abuse to put animals through that kind of surgery because of the general population's attitude towards deafness as something terrible and pitiful to live with.. Deafness is not something to be pitied.

What u just mentioned are to help people. Animals getting CIs are supposed to be for the animals, right? If so...then why? Will animals go to speech therapy to learn how to bark or meow? That's what I am not understanding...how do we know if it makes them happy? Also, why spend money on that? What is the purpose of risking their lives? Just to hear? I probably wud never get it cuz like deaf258 said, it is like life is sad and miserable being deaf.

It's amazing how many people don't even read the article....
It is not to make cats hear.!!

It's very good to do research on animals.

Medicine relies on animals in order to test procedures and drugs before trying it out on people.

I'm quite sure that many of you, or people around you have benefitted tremendously from experiments that were first done on animals.
Surgery, medicine..

What about your lipstick? These are tested on animals.
How many of you smoke....? Effect of sigarettes is tested....

Just because this experiment/research is connected with CI, it is suddenly bad, and ridiculed...

What I am hearing that Animal research is being done to test the new laser method of simulating the cochlear. The research is being done to check for long term effects of using small laser diodes on a wire to simulate the cochlear for possible new methods for the electrode array.

It's very good to do research on animals.

Medicine relies on animals in order to test procedures and drugs before trying it out on people.

I'm quite sure that many of you, or people around you have benefitted tremendously from experiments that were first done on animals.
Surgery, medicine..

What about your lipstick? These are tested on animals.
How many of you smoke....? Effect of sigarettes is tested....

Just because this experiment/research is connected with CI, it is suddenly bad, and ridiculed...

Research on animals have been a long time controversy...I think there was a thread about doing testing on animals like people voted not buying costmetics if the company does testing on animals. If this is solely for research purposes only then it should be lumped with the debate on general research/testings done on animals.

If people r saying that it is ok for animals to get a CI to benefit the animals themselves then that's where I don't get it. So, iam trying to see it from their point of views. That was the only issue I had with this subject.

I am totally against animal research. It belongs in the last century. It only hampers success and both Animals AND humans have to suffer for that.

I don't smoke. I don't use cosmetics and never intentionally use anything that is tested on animals. The only exception is thyroxine which I need because I'm ill if I stop taking it. I've been taking it since I was 8 months old so it's been a while since it was tested anyway. Other things such as hay fever tablets or pain killers, I try to do without. I even managed to stop taking tegretol which I used to take for epilepsy but I seem to manage without it. If I started having major problems with my epilepsy I would go back on it (as it won't bring the poor animals back) but right now I seem to be managing ok.

It is so cruel and unnecessary to test on animals. I just hope it goes the way slavery went and we use more up to date methods of research in future.

I agree, I don't see how CI will benefit these poor animals :(

Really? then explain me this hon >> " The cat wears the device 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

These cats are born deaf and offer an excellent model for
studying congenital deafness. With the implant, cats will come
when called and demonstrate behaviorally that they can hear. "
:hmm:

Ryugo Lab - Auditory Anatomy & Physiology

Here's the link WHEELCHAIRS FOR DOGS: providing mobility for dogs with hind leg disabilities I personally haven't seen any animals in wheelchairs yet in RL but I did saw one on animal planet ( TV show )....

wow, it´s fanastic to see the owners who have good heart to take care of their animals like this. I have seen a lot of owners are being force to put their dogs to sleep because of this - (problem with legs, can´t walk etc.) which they love their pets dearly... I really never thought about wheelchair but I thought it´s best for them to put sleep to save alot of suffer. I wasn´t realized about wheelchair until this thread here.

Back