Am I the only one?

Grew up in a mainstream school and graduated from it. I took a few tests at ASD before I made a final decision and the tests were too easy for me. I was very glad that I made a right decision.

I've been mainstreamed my whole life. In Kindergarden I was forced to have this ugly weird looking brown thing with a wire in my ear and pocket, but nowadays that's a regular thing with the telephones and ipods only they don't look so hot even now.

When I was 4/5 I wore the regular BTE and always shoved it in my pocket and was occasionally peskered into a dark large room where they old lady was showing me how to speak the ABC's, and I didn't have a single clue why and once in High School she came by when I was in Grade 13, and I hadn't seen her in eons and was surprised to be called down to the Principals Office and saw that cranky old bat strolling behind the counter and I just batted out of there and was furious!

I attended two colleges went in for Accounting and 80% ended up going into another program after taking Intermediate Accounting, my high school accounting teacher didn't blame me! I went into Business Management and couldn't get a job without experience, then about 11/2 years later I got tired of temp. jobs and went back for 6 months and picked up a Honors Diploma in Medical Adm. Assistance but people in Toronto get very scared about taking a chance on someone who's HOH, acutally the first doctor I did work for (who was nuts) got mad at me because I brought in my own phone for volume control because he wouldn't put it in.

Now I'am in my late 30's with a 65% hearing loss, and only able to wear one hearing aid because I have extreme sensitivity to harsh, sharp loud noises including when people talk loud or sharply mention letters which hurts my ear (that's called hyperacusis and recruitment) but I would really really really really love to go to a Deaf University and I barely know ASL, but nowadays people are taking it in High School and it's becoming the most popular 2nd Foreign Language (all we had back then was French).

If you can get a chance to go to a Deaf School I highly highly highly recommend it because you'll get the opportunity to not only really be involved in the Deaf Culture for eons but you'll get some great connections for life. And that's way better that what a mainstream school can offer you, and when your older you'll probably wish you had that chance! For me back then it wasn't even anything I considered but I wish every single HOH person would take one summer at a Deaf Camp to see the world of the Deaf Culture because far far too many HOH people don't know about other HOH people and the disconnections even with the Hearing and the Deaf are the same.

Back