Am I the only one?

But I will learn it someday since I would like to communicate with other deaf people, I'm mostly reading lips and using hearing aids to hear other people plus I speak almost perfectly thanks to a great teacher I had when I was 5 at a deaf school but I wasn't enrolled in it, it was for after school and I was the only person in the class. Btw, another question, are kids in deaf schools only sign language or can they be taught lip reading and other methods?
Greg.....that's awesome that you're so openminded about learning sign. Good on you! It sounds like you're doing well academicly at school. It's also kind of late to transfer.....I mean you're almost halfway through your jr year. However, there are other options. I know that social issues can be awful for dhh (and other kids) However, you DO have alldeaf (which is a lot of fun)
Gallaudet University also offers a summer program for dhh kids who don't sign, but who want to learn. Maybe also check out deaf regional programs or contact your state's DHH Comission for any help.

I have thought about Gallaudet but I think I'm going to opt with FSU, I have a lot of family and friends there plus they have greatly improved their methods on dealing with hearing impaired and deaf people and I believe they have sign language courses there. I might either learn it there or at FAU during the summer.

Was mainstreamed all my life (from K to 12th) Not under the deaf ed program at school, No terps, no nothing. Was in public school just like everyone else. You are blessed your hearing is better than mine when I was in High school. It is a challenge but it can be done.

Greg, I didn't suggest Gally for college, but rather for a summer program. They have a summer program for dhh teens, and last summer, they offered a program for dhh teens who didn't sign. Might be a good way to get you into the Deaf culture, and to get you fluent in Sign.
Do you know any other dhh kids who are currently at FSU? One downside of attending a state school is that they may not have really good accomondations. My state school SUCKED when it came to accomondations. Loved it....but could have done SO much better with proper accomondations. Most of the accomondations out there are geared more towards kids with learning diabilties, rather then kids with more classic disabilties.

I was mainstreamed all my life. If mainstreaming had been a forcible option, I would not have to deal with the flak I've been getting from the hardline ASL militant deafies nowadays.

Richard

I did beg....

I did beg my parent to place me to Deaf school when I was sophomore in high school. I wanted to learn more about Deaf world, Deaf friends and everything in Deaf. I thanked my parent that I didn't go to Deaf school. BECAUSE today, I see some Deaf people at Deaf school are failing or not focus on their education (I mean "SOME." ) Some of Deaf people are there for friends, not for their education. Anyway, I went to Gallaudet- my freshmen year was "partying." I was failing classes because I was there for my friends, not for my education. My husband who went Gally with me, has turned my life around- made me focus on education. Now, My husband and I have settled down, both have good jobs, and still go out to meet Deaf people.

Now, I have few friends who is still in Deaf school- they asked me, "which college has better friends and bad-ass party?" It just made me think twice- I had to wake the students up and told them to think of their future first before their friends.

So, I suggest to stay in school where u are now, then Gally or RIT or CSUN or where ever you want to go- think of your future- what do u want to be... Once you graduate, you will be making money! You can get to travel to NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC , Austin TX or whereever- to MEET Deaf people for the rest of your life!

Hope this helps you think better. :)

I am heading to Chicago for NYE!
Later!

i second that..kinda

"Greg, I didn't suggest Gally for college, but rather for a summer program. They have a summer program for dhh teens, and last summer, they offered a program for dhh teens who didn't sign. Might be a good way to get you into the Deaf culture, and to get you fluent in Sign. "

start practicing NOW...with some books and the web...start signing with any one better than you..you will learn faster if you mingle with signers ,becouse you will expossed to more signs used in a normal envirement.and it is what every body told me to do..and they were right. the classes were ok..but the cafeteria at gally is where i really learned sign.

On the other hand Shay, there are hearing kids who are dumbass slackers and partiers. And I mean, it's important to have that balance of friends and good academics. When I've had lots of friends, I have done well in school. When I don't have friends, I do horribley in school.

deafdyke said:
On the other hand Shay, there are hearing kids who are dumbass slackers and partiers.

LOL, been to Ole Miss, have you? ;)

I'm going there now for grad school and I STILL find some of the things my classmates are doing--while in the MBA program from hell!--absolutely mindboggling. Now, others are studying really hard, but I really can't understand the ones that party on all the weekends and put off all their schoolwork until they have to do an all-nighter. That's just called lack of maturity, if you ask me, and I think it just comes with youth in general.

And I mean, it's important to have that balance of friends and good academics. When I've had lots of friends, I have done well in school. When I don't have friends, I do horribley in school.

Yes, total isolation is a very bad thing and I had a LOT of problems due to that in my junior and senior years of undergrad. I realize now that my workload was NOT that much then...yet it seemed impossible, and I think part of it was that I had no balance in my life. The key is just to make sure that you allocate your time responsibly and that you don't do things that could be unhealthy for you.

Greg23 said:
The only problem is I don't know sign language. :confused: But I will learn it someday since I would like to communicate with other deaf people, I'm mostly reading lips and using hearing aids to hear other people plus I speak almost perfectly thanks to a great teacher I had when I was 5 at a deaf school but I wasn't enrolled in it, it was for after school and I was the only person in the class. Btw, another question, are kids in deaf schools only sign language or can they be taught lip reading and other methods?

I didn't learn sign language til I was 21 from Gallaudet. Thanks to Gally, I'm very fluent to ASL now! it's never too late to learn! the last question you ask, I'm not the person to answer that..

Greg, the last question you asked......It varies tremedously. There are some kids who only Sign, but they only make up about 1% of the total Deaf population. Most kids are taught TC, that is both speech and Sign.

asu and mmi

RebelGirl said:
high school at 27? or you're speaking of college?

i finished high school at 14....had a good streak in the bicycling world...then went to 2 schools full time at the same time.ASU during the day and MMI every night.. now i go to gally to learn sign.

I mainstreamed for the first 4 years then went to a deaf school for the last 8, whilst my boyfriend mainstreamed all his life, then attended RIT to get involved in the deaf community and expose himself to it and learn from it, etc. :)

Actually I was mainstreamed all my life until I went to Gallaudet to get exposed to the deaf culture. Went there for 4 years and then graduated and now I have that piece of paper and a job. Honestly partying is EVERYWHERE! It happens with hearing people too! Just that the deaf community is smaller is it is easier to pinpoint and analyze it than hearing people.

I went to mainstreamed school all my life. Pre-K thru 12th grade. I had 2 intrepreters and I loved it. I never regreted about it. I am glad that I didnt go to the deaf school because I would miss alots about my hearing culture. I finally went into the deaf culture in 2001, ever since I have been making alots more friends. I am not sorry about it and I am glad that my parents made the right decision about it. If I was in their shoes, I would do the same thing. So that is that. :D

you're not the only person. I have been in mainstreamed schools for 17 years, and I am finishing high school. I had a very few dhh friends but my school system got rid of them due to insufficient services, so I became the only deaf student in whole hs. I just recently applied to NTID/RIT because it is my dream college and I want to "balance" both deaf and hearing worlds since I am profoundly deaf.

I wasn't really 'mainstreamed' per se as that implies that there was conscious acknowledgement of the state of my hearing (or lack thereof, as the case may be), the guiding notion being not separating the dhh child from the hearing world but rather encouraging him or her to embrace it.

While my hearing loss has probably existed since birth (as the issues I have have existed for as long as I can remember), it was not identified until I was 17, and as a result of that up until that point I was being raised as if I were hearing. I was not being 'mainstreamed' in the sense of a typical dhh child as the common understanding (true or not) was that I was hearing.

That said, I did attend hearing schools the entire time, and while I still technically attend a hearing school now (RIT), it's a school with a sizable deaf population, so there's something important to me at RIT that I've never had before and probably would not have access to anywhere else; that is, people who are aware of lack of hearing and are OK with it, which makes me feel better and more confident about myself in addition to opening doors and helping me make new friends.

I really didn't have any proficiency signing before coming to RIT (I'd now say that I'm a high-beginner in terms of vocabulary, beginner in terms of grammar), relying mostly on what hearing I do have (never had a hearing aid until this year) and some limited lip reading ability, so it's a learning process too along with my own growing acceptance of myself.

I grew up in mainstream school through elementary school, junior high school, and high school.

Greg23 said:
who went to mainstream school and high school? (well I'm still a junior in high school) I've considered going to a deaf school but it didn't seem to be a necessity. I've lost about 50 percent, maybe a bit more of my hearing but the mainstream schools I went to was easy to adjust to. Anyone else the same?

You are not the only one. First, I went to a deaf school from Pre-K to 2nd grade and transfer to mainstream school for the rest of my life, 2nd grade to 12th grade. I have no problem with mainstream and met some cool hearing friends. They enjoyed and amazed by ASL. Is it true that mainstream school has a better system than deaf school's system? That’s one of the reason my parents transferred me to a mainstream school.

Hey! I'm a junior at a mainstream high school too!
I did go to a deaf school before but, just too eaasy for me, so I quit.

I have deaf parents and I was born deaf, I have only about 20% of my hearing left. Mainstream was a hard choice for me, I wanted harder classes, but with that, I have no friends.

Seems like you're doing well in mainstream though!

Back