Am I the only one?

Greg23

Reaction score
who went to mainstream school and high school? (well I'm still a junior in high school) I've considered going to a deaf school but it didn't seem to be a necessity. I've lost about 50 percent, maybe a bit more of my hearing but the mainstream schools I went to was easy to adjust to. Anyone else the same?

No ur not only one, i been in hearing impaired classes but in middle school half and half (half of hearing impaired classes and mainstream), but in high school all in mainstream But with interpeter of course. Well, only thing, i like mainstreamed cuz follow my level education, but bad abt it, no deafies in that classroom.

No, you're not the only one. I've been in mainstreamed since 2nd grade. I'm hard of hearing. Right now, I'm a student in RIT/NTID where I can learn more to be part of deaf culture. I'm used to mainstreamed, but I'm learning to get used to it. You know?

I have been mainstreamed from Kindergarten to 12th grade....my Preschool years were with little tykes with various disabilities (deaf/HOH, blind, wheelchair). In my high school years (9th to 12th grade), I was also in an ESE deaf/HOH program in some of my classes with deaf/hoh classmates....other classes in H.S. were with hearing classmates.
My Preschool teacher told my parents they should send me off to a school for the deaf for Kindergarten.....my parents did some research, and voted against it, saying it is miles away from home (back then in early 1970s, kids don't come home unless holidays or summertime), and they wanted me to know my family....plus they wanted me to speak...so I had speech therapy from age 2 up to 4th or 5th grade with speech therapists, including during school hours.
So yes, you are not the only one....I've been there! :)

I've used to be mainstream since kindergarten to grade 5 and transfered to ECD School Grade 6...
few years later, I've made decison and want back to mainstream school in Danforth Tech in Toronto, Ontario. few years later.. then goes to SJW few mos.. transfered to ECD school again...
a year later.. not happy.. decide again goes back to mainstream school then Poofed grad!

I mainstreamed from K-12.. It never crossed my mind going to a deaf school. I played softball and was heading to college with a scholarship.. I knew the deaf school didn't have a softball team so that's one of the reasons I didn't go. If you're a JR in High School, I'd stick with the mainstreaming. Most of the time, when you think you'll go to a deaf school.. they'll make you take a test to see what level you're in and possibly put you back to 10th again. I'm not sure how your state works but it does in Alabama. You're very close to graduating from school, I would think it would be better to stay til you graduate... but follow your heart and do what makes you happy!

I've been mainstream almost all my childhood, expect a few years of oral schools. I never been to all deaf schools. My parents didn't want that, They wanted me to communicate in both deaf and hearing world. ;)

Try the search tool in the future- you will find many topics about mainstreamed Deaf students! :)

I was (and still am) mainstreamed all the way-- to the higher education today (third-year university student). Never went to a deaf school. I was never the "only deaf at the hearing school" so I never missed out that sense of "deaf environment" with 50 plus deaf students at my high school alone. I never regretted my choice (although I could go to a better high school but all is in the past! ;) )
On a side note: I am Deaf the whole life and was in "D/HH Special Needs" classroom in elementary schools to acquire language skills that I missed out in myfirst two years of falling through the cracks with confused auditory results.

:) Welcome to AllDeaf, Greg-- You will enjoy your stay-- if you got a thick skin. ;) I survived-- so far, so you should be fine!

Been mainstreamed ALL of my life too, with the exception of preschool when I was in a self contained EI classroom for kids with all sorts of disabilties.
I do wish I'd been able to attend a school or a program that had a sizable amount of dhh kids or disabled kids. I can remember thinking I was the only one in the world who was dhh. Not to mention the fact that high school was horrible socially!
If you're a JR in High School, I'd stick with the mainstreaming. Most of the time, when you think you'll go to a deaf school.. they'll make you take a test to see what level you're in and possibly put you back to 10th again.
On the other hand, Florida is supposed to be really bad at providing services to kids with disabilties. Maybe instead of opting for a deaf school, transfer to a school that has a regional program for dhh kids.

I was maintstreamed and never been in deaf school.. I played sport and got a scholarship for softball for college, and I was in classroom with other kids and had notetakers and graduated from high school with 3.8 GPA.

I never know any sign languages since I took Sign Language when I was 16 years old and finally learn little bit of sign language. I thought it was hard, but not really.

Been oral communicate while growing up.

I have done Deaf school and mainstream school programs. I will take Deaf school or Deaf university anytime then go to a hearing university with interpreters provided to expand my education and employment opporounites, that is if Deaf university does not have classes on that one.

hmm

most of the deaf i meet at gallywere main streamed...my self included.i finished high school at 14,and went back to school at 27,after massive crash the ended my bicycle racing.

RebelGirl said:
If you're a JR in High School, I'd stick with the mainstreaming. Most of the time, when you think you'll go to a deaf school.. they'll make you take a test to see what level you're in and possibly put you back to 10th again.

Take a test? I have no problem in maintaining my grades (3.4 GPA), the only problem is I guess is that I feel like I'm the only hard of hearing teen in Broward County. Thanks for the advice though.

Greg23 said:
Take a test? I have no problem in maintaining my grades (3.4 GPA), the only problem is I guess is that I feel like I'm the only hard of hearing teen in Broward County. Thanks for the advice though.

Like I said the states varies. 3.4 is very good!! I know how you feel that you feel that you're the only hard of hearing teen in town but as I said.. follow your heart and do whatever makes you happy! You may like the deaf school where you can communicate easily..

vfr said:
most of the deaf i meet at gallywere main streamed...my self included.i finished high school at 14,and went back to school at 27,after massive crash the ended my bicycle racing.

high school at 27? or you're speaking of college?

Mainstreamed all my life, kindergarden through college. I wore one hearing aid up until recently, because the current thought was that it would hurt my hearing more to wear two. I had to switch ears every so often. I love wearing two, now.

It wasn't too bad, mainstreaming. I went to speech and hearing classes to stay ahead on my subjects (HATED it), but whereas I did make some good friends, I sure had to put up with some shit from the hearing kids. Made me a bit of a daredevil and I would usually do the rascally thing most kids were scared to do. Guess I had to prove myself. Didn't help being a preacher's kid, either.

I wish I would have taken classes at the LSD and learned ASL, though.

RebelGirl said:
Like I said the states varies. 3.4 is very good!! I know how you feel that you feel that you're the only hard of hearing teen in town but as I said.. follow your heart and do whatever makes you happy! You may like the deaf school where you can communicate easily..

The only problem is I don't know sign language. :confused: But I will learn it someday since I would like to communicate with other deaf people, I'm mostly reading lips and using hearing aids to hear other people plus I speak almost perfectly thanks to a great teacher I had when I was 5 at a deaf school but I wasn't enrolled in it, it was for after school and I was the only person in the class. Btw, another question, are kids in deaf schools only sign language or can they be taught lip reading and other methods?

Back