Altruism or Selfless

I agree. It is basically the unselfish concern for the welfare of others. Proof comes from the very first act and at that point there's is no knowledge of getting something in return.

Sorry, but I disagree. There is always knowledge of getting something in return, even when that something is an intangible.

It exists.....some people are too bitter to see. Perhaps some feel guilt because they don't have the same feelings.

Christians don't do good deeds for a "reward" in the end because Christians know that good deeds don't get you into Heaven.

Unrealistic much?

Wirelessly posted

Selfhood is not necessarily a bad thing; if we don't have resolutions to make us feel better by ourselves, then the world will truly be apathetic and void of morals and values. So, it's not a bad thing.

Wish I can post a video about emphatic drives without needing to find a transcript.

Selfhood is most certainly not a bad thing. I don't know why it seems that so many equate it with selfishness. Not the same thing at all. I guess there are those that simply don't like brutal honesty. Makes one question too much.

It doesn't mean that at all. It simply means that they have a less spiritual motivation behind their behavior. Behavior is ruled by hedonistic pursuits as well. The explanation offered was simply one example of the motivation that leads, always, back to self.

But, then, I didn't expect you to buy it. You appear to be quite closed minded of any suggestion of behavioral explanation that contradicts your particular religious belief system. However, I have said it before, and will say it again: "Just because you refuse to accept it does not, in any way, mean that it not true."
Just the opposite.

My "belief system" is that sacrificing oneself does NOT guarantee entry into heaven. In fact, the One who voluntarily sacrificed His life for all unworthy people did so with no benefit to Himself. That is my model.

You close your mind to any spiritual explanation that contradicts your psychological belief system.

So I could also say, "Just because you refuse to accept it does not, in any way, mean that it not true."

You refuse to believe that there are some people on this planet who do things simply because they have good hearts and care about their fellow human beings.

Behavioral factors may steer some people's actions but not all.

Sorry, but I disagree. There is always knowledge of getting something in return, even when that something is an intangible.
What does the atheist get in return for himself for throwing his body on the grenade?

Just the opposite.

My "belief system" is that sacrificing oneself does NOT guarantee entry into heaven. In fact, the One who voluntarily sacrificed His life for all unworthy people did so with no benefit to Himself. That is my model.

You close your mind to any spiritual explanation that contradicts your psychological belief system.

So I could also say, "Just because you refuse to accept it does not, in any way, mean that it not true."

You refuse to believe that there are some people on this planet who do things simply because they have good hearts and care about their fellow human beings.

Behavioral factors may steer some people's actions but not all.

Firstly, you have no idea what my spiritual belief system entails. You are assuming. And, quite obviously, you are assuming incorrectly.

Of course there are some people on this planet who do good things out of a caring nature. But, still, it leads back to selfhood, because in the end, the action provides them with a sense of self satisfaction.

Behavioral and cognitive factors steer all people's actions. Again, just because you refuse to accept it, and don't take the time to engage in self honesty in evaluation of action doesn't mean it isn't the way it is.

What does the atheist get in return for himself for throwing his body on the grenade?

Congruence with his particular belief system. Acting a congruent manner leads to self satisfaction. And simply because a person does not believe in a single higher power that is "watching over and rewarding the masses" does not mean that his spiritual life does not exist.

Firstly, you have no idea what my spiritual belief system entails.
That's why I didn't mention your spiritual beliefs. I referred to your beliefs about psychology, which you have made clear to us all in your posts.

You are assuming. And, quite obviously, you are assuming incorrectly.
How could I assume anything about your spiritual belief system when I didn't even mention it?

Of course there are some people on this planet who do good things out of a caring nature. But, still, it leads back to selfhood, because in the end, the action provides them with a sense of self satisfaction.
You assume to know the hearts and spirits of all other people? Are you God?

Behavioral and cognitive factors steer all people's actions.
That's your opinion.

Again, just because you refuse to accept it, and don't take the time to engage in self honesty in evaluation of action doesn't mean it isn't the way it is.
You have no clue as to what kind of time I use to engage in anything.

That's why I didn't mention your spiritual beliefs. I referred to your beliefs about psychology, which you have made clear to us all in your posts.

And on those you are often mistaken, as well.

How could I assume anything about your spiritual belief system when I didn't even mention it?

You made your assumption clear in your post.

You assume to know the hearts and spirits of all other people? Are you God?

No, I am not God. Nor do I know the hearts and spirits of all other people. However, I do know what centuries of research has supported regarding the minds and behavior of people.
That's your opinion.

Yes, it is. And you might add "informed opinion" from more than one souce.

You have no clue as to what kind of time I use to engage in anything.

You leave clues all over the place. Perhaps you are unaware of your own motivations and influences on your behavior.

Back