Altruism or Selfless

evil_queen_lisa

Reaction score
Looked in all the major web dictionaries and cant find a way to say that someone is altruistic or selfless.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
*EQL*

the idea im trying to get across is someone who puts others first, over their needs and wants.
*EQL*

ASL has it right. There is no true altruism. The individual always gets something out of a supposedly "altruistic" action. Therefore, generous or giving would be more appropriate.

hmmm... not really. I see 'generous' as being like 'giving'. I guess im not explaining it correctly. Let me think about it for a bit and I'll get back to you with a better explanation. "self-effacing" doesn't really fit either. Thats more like someone doesnt want to be seen.
*EQL*

I hate to use this word again but it "depends."

Some of the concepts that can be included are "not selfish," "care about others," "benefit others without benefiting self," or "doing good for others."

It depends on the context of how it's being used.

If you're trying to describe a person as altruistic, then go ahead and describe that person's behaviors and attitudes that fit the definition of altruism.

"She is a kind person who uses her time, resources and energy to help other people with no expectation or desire for reward or praise." (example)

For altruistic groups:

"An altruistic society is one that...."

For an academic use:

"The theory of altruism is that...."

One English word sometimes requires more than one sign, and vice verse. Sometimes one sign requires many English words. There isn't always a one-for-one match. :)

I've had difficulty(meaning the perplexed, to put it mildly, reactions from others) using "altruism", too when I opined that the inventor of the CI did so out of altruism.

I've had difficulty(meaning the perplexed, to put it mildly, reactions from others) using "altruism", too when I opined that the inventor of the CI did so out of altruism.

Well, there can be an altuistic intent included, but it is in combination with serving a self interest in most cases. Even Mother Theresa was expecting a reward in the end. (Uh, oh! I'm gonna get it now!):P

Wirelessly posted

My interpreter explained that...

"There's only two things people are motivated by: self and money; actually, it's just self."

She even explained the rationale of selfhood behind a soldier throwing himself on a grenade.

Wirelessly posted

My interpreter explained that...

"There's only two things people are motivated by: self and money; actually, it's just self."

She even explained the rationale of selfhood behind a soldier throwing himself on a grenade.

There you go. When you break it down, in the end is always the self. It is the nature of the beast.

So what was the rationale behind the soldier throwing himself on a grenade?

So what was the rationale behind the soldier throwing himself on a grenade?

Dying in an honorable way is an automatic in road to Heaven. Rather than waiting to get killed in battle, he "saved his fellow soldier by sacrificing himself." Figured if he was going to die anyway, he might as well control the way so he got something out of it, too.

Back