AllDeaf: Suggestions for Improvement

Deaf258 said:
I just had another thought..

Is there a spellchecker option for everytime someone makes a post and wants to make sure it is spelled correctly??? If AllDeaf doesn't have that option already, perhaps consider it in the near future version of AD?

Sorry, no i think it's NOT a good idea to
include "spellchecker" at all... This would take up
too much space/time. This is not that necessary
because we have the common sense to
figure out what other person actually meant...
To correct others for their
spelling errors is also not necessary.
This "spellchecker" should be the last priority.

The top priority is to focus on improving
the "Search" engine to be able to search
one keyword on the entire AD
without having to know
who wrote this or that....

It would require installing an international dictionary. A lot of us here don't really rely on spelling since it's "online slang" that most of us use... such as "wazzup" "kewl" "stfu" "lol" etc...

shameless pimping of a dictionary!

That's true.. but still, I keep seeing too many "(sp?)" in various posts. It's just got kinda annoying.. Another idea, since it is too much of a hassle to install a spellchecker in this forum, you can get your small dictionary program, WordWeb, and it's about over 5MB. It comes with a hotkey "Ctrl+Alt+W" and the dictionary pops up right away! It's a coolest, convenient dictionary I have seen so far. If a word is not listed in the dictionary, it has access to other online dictionaries to further check your spellings and definitions.

Get your copy of WordWeb now!

Deaf258 said:
That's true.. but still, I keep seeing too many "(sp?)" in various posts. It's just got kinda annoying.. Another idea, since it is too much of a hassle to install a spellchecker in this forum, you can get your small dictionary program, WordWeb, and it's about over 5MB. It comes with a hotkey "Ctrl+Alt+W" and the dictionary pops up right away! It's a coolest, convenient dictionary I have seen so far. If a word is not listed in the dictionary, it has access to other online dictionaries to further check your spellings and definitions.

Get your copy of WordWeb now!

Deaf258, that's strange and funny when you got annoyed
about (sp?) i always ignored them only because
it's not my job or responsibility to correct their spelling.
Additonally, this AD is supposed to be a fun forum
nothing too serious etc...

Am I taking it too seriously?? I think not. I am only offering a solution to those peeps who love to use (sp?) all the time..

Y said:
Deaf258, that's strange and funny when you got annoyed
about (sp?) i always ignored them only because
it's not my job or responsibility to correct their spelling.
Additonally, this AD is supposed to be a fun forum
nothing too serious etc...

:werd: no one is perfect !

HEY U two all he was doing was helping u out and making life a bit easy not need to ridcule deaf258 for this he just was merely being a good guy helping another fellow aders who might have spelling plm or very bad typo ( yep that's ME) ... So its it a bad thing no it's a nice gesture for him to offer u help......

Deaf258 said:
Am I taking it too seriously?? I think not. I am only offering a solution to those peeps who love to use (sp?) all the time..

I think your suggestion is a good idea...it really depends on if the majority of AD members and the moderators/admin of this site will approve and have it integrated into this site. :) Don't fret, Deaf258 -- :thumb:

javapride said:
I also want to ask AD if there is any way they can warn us ahead of time if AD will be down for a certain period of time by via e mail
By now, you should've already gotten an e-mail about the upgrade/maintenance and the fact that AllDeaf would be down. From now on, I will send e-mail updates about stuff like that. :)

Deaf258 said:
Is there a spellchecker option for everytime someone makes a post and wants to make sure it is spelled correctly??? If AllDeaf doesn't have that option already, perhaps consider it in the near future version of AD?
That's a good idea, Deaf258. I've thought about it before too, but if I remember correctly, vBulletin (our forum software of choice) once offered a spell checker feature through spellcheck.net until they started charging and vB left them. That was about a year ago. Ever since, vB has not had that feature. A "hack" can be implemented in the vB software, but that would require something like GNU Aspell installed on my server for the spell checker to work. That's something I don't really want to go through as it is time consuming, but if the majority of our members want the feature, I'll reconsider.

javapride said:
HEY U two all he was doing was helping u out and making life a bit easy not need to ridcule deaf258 for this he just was merely being a good guy helping another fellow aders who might have spelling plm or very bad typo ( yep that's ME) ... So its it a bad thing no it's a nice gesture for him to offer u help......

right, he's nice for trying to help... i wasn't
even thinking about trying to ridcule deaf258
about spelling errors... i was trying to
tell all bad spellers NOT to worry too much
about spelling errors these kind of errors
are no big deal ... even if i was not
sure of my own spelling i probably could
have typeddd <sp ?> without expecting
anyone to correct my spelling....

waht are you tlkanig aobut (sp ?)

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe. (sp ? )

Tehy ae absuluthely corerct! terirfiic!

Y said:
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe. (sp ? )

Tehy ae absuluthely corerct! terirfiic!

:lol: Although, I believe this is a :repost: as I did see that somewhere in here and on other forums as well. Heh. :)

Could we add more Smiling Faces Like *Hugs* we have Group Hugs but no Single Hugs...What do you think? :)

Cheri said:
Could we add more Smiling Faces Like *Hugs* we have Group Hugs but no Single Hugs...What do you think? :)
We can add almost any smilie. However, we need to see them first though. If you can find one that looks good, post it here and we might consider.

Alex said:
That's a good idea, Deaf258. I've thought about it before too, but if I remember correctly, vBulletin (our forum software of choice) once offered a spell checker feature through spellcheck.net until they started charging and vB left them. That was about a year ago. Ever since, vB has not had that feature. A "hack" can be implemented in the vB software, but that would require something like GNU Aspell installed on my server for the spell checker to work. That's something I don't really want to go through as it is time consuming, but if the majority of our members want the feature, I'll reconsider.

If you use IE browser, no more need for installing a spell checker in vBulletin!! Google came up with their Toolbar Version 3 Beta.. It comes with a spell checker and will check any words in the forms you fill out!

http://toolbar.google.com/T3/done.html - what's new about the toolbar beta

http://toolbar.google.com/T3 - to install the beta toolbar

I wonder when they'll make a similar one for Firefox.

How about adding a 'check new posts since last visit' link? (Unless I missed that somewhere.) This way, I can easily find new postings instead of having to manually open certain sections to see what's new.

Back