Age is just number...

I think as long as you have something in common itcan be easy to talk to folks of any age. I am 38, and spend time with people from toddler to 90 years old. They all have wonderful things to add to a relationship. Friendships are a beautiful thing. I have really enjoyed seeing how everyone here care about one another. Age doesn't matter here of face to face. I just wish I could find deaf/HOH friends near me.

I don't believe a DEAF child CAN use a hearing aid-60 years ago OR today. I exclude the self defined "cultural deaf". As I have mentioned before : the word "deaf/DEAF" means silence therefore NO hearing aid can assist. All of this from my real personal experience of over 40 years.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
I don't a believe a DEAF child CAN use a hearing aid-60 years ago OR today. I exclude the self defined "cultural deaf". As I have mentioned before : the word "deaf/DEAF" means silence therefore NO hearing aid can assist. All of this from my real personal experience of over 40 years.

drphil - your use of ALL CAPS is confusing. I understand what you are saying, but I would encourage you to use:
deaf - cannot hear
Deaf - person that is culturally deaf

(it just occurred to me that you might have a vision issue and have a hard time seeing the difference between deaf and Deaf thus you use the all caps. If this is true then please forgive my nit picking).

Keep in mind, that each person pretty much defines for themselves if they are hearing, HOH, or deaf. There was a time my audiologist told me my hearing was actually worse than some deaf yet I was HOH.

With that in mind, 60 years ago the hearing aids were not very powerful. If I jumped back 60 years I would have been deaf because no hearing aids could have possibly helped be (perhaps a body aid? Oh God I hated those). Jump forward to today and the hearing aids are powerful enough to help me.

so - at some db hearing loss 60 years ago a person is deaf, at this same db hearing loss today this person might be considered HOH.

At the present time I don't have "vision trouble" according to my recent eye examination.
The use of DEAF is to try and escape from the "straight jacket" of "cultural vs oral" in describing the actual/real condition of deafness-silence.
Does clarity mean anything?

I'm sorry, but, "escaping the straight jacket of cultural vs oral" sounds like a bunch of fancy words put together because they look pretty. This reminds me of a high school paper I had to write where I just made up technical sounding words because I was too lazy to do any real research. I got an A on the paper which astounded me.

I will go with the assumption that you use DEAF just be be different. There is nothing wrong with being different, lord knows I did that enough in High School.

At the present time I don't have "vision trouble" according to my recent eye examination.
The use of DEAF is to try and escape from the "straight jacket" of "cultural vs oral" in describing the actual/real condition of deafness-silence.
Does clarity mean anything?

Why don't you just say "profound deafness"? That's clarity.

I'm sorry, but, "escaping the straight jacket of cultural vs oral" sounds like a bunch of fancy words put together because they look pretty. This reminds me of a high school paper I had to write where I just made up technical sounding words because I was too lazy to do any real research. I got an A on the paper which astounded me.

I will go with the assumption that you use DEAF just be be different. There is nothing wrong with being different, lord knows I did that enough in High School.

It just means you mastered the art of bullshitting your way through high school.

"Profound deafness" doesn't appear to me in any way to "differentiate in the experience of silence"". Is there really various levels of silence?

Still bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006.

"Profound deafness" doesn't appear to me in any way to "differentiate in the experience of silence"". Is there really various levels of silence?

Still bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006.

Yes, there are different levels of "silence" with regards to profound deafness. Some people who are profoundly deaf, still have some levels of residual hearing, albeit small levels and then there are those who have no (zero) residual hearing. So yes, there are different levels of "silence". Heck, I have no residual hearing at all, and I have different levels of silence running through my head and let me tell you, "Silence can be deafening". It can be very loud, but guess what!!! The loudness is actually tinnitus and various forms of it. (At least in my case)

Yes, there are different levels of "silence" with regards to profound deafness. Some people who are profoundly deaf, still have some levels of residual hearing, albeit small levels and then there are those who have no (zero) residual hearing. So yes, there are different levels of "silence". Heck, I have no residual hearing at all, and I have different levels of silence running through my head and let me tell you, "Silence can be deafening". It can be very loud, but guess what!!! The loudness is actually tinnitus and various forms of it. (At least in my case)
My loss is in the profound range but it by no means total silence for me. I can still hear very loud noises (115 dbs across the board) like lightning striking a power plant near me.

My loss is in the profound range but it by no means total silence for me. I can still hear very loud noises (115 dbs across the board) like lightning striking a power plant near me.

Right - that's why I was letting him know that not all in the profound range experience total silence. I am technically considered to be in the profound range, but the audiologist just says total deaf.

I seek maturity over age. The most immature person with whom I've dealt in the last year-and-a-half is 6 years older!

I only ever hear "Age ain't nothing but a number" from rather creepy old men when they are hitting on me. In the supermarket. :lol:

Right - that's why I was letting him know that not all in the profound range experience total silence. I am technically considered to be in the profound range, but the audiologist just says total deaf.

I posted for much the same reason as you. :)

Amongst the Deaf.

Have you noticed that the Deaf associate regardless of age? Not when dating, of course, but in group socials. Even here I see how easy to get along with poster regardless if 20 or 60.

On hearie forum I probably reply to people more my own age. Just realize today.

I hope I explain right.

you explain it just fine for me...I understood you & understood what you mean.

Back