Adjustment to late onset deafness

My doctors say that my hair cells just simply dont work...nothing about them being too short or missing.

Interesting, all i remember was that I have a nerve damage and dead hair cells. Nothing about the size. :lol:

that's where we got our info from, silly.

somebody's feeling grouchy today, eh? :)

Me grouchy? Now that's :lol: worthy. That being said I didn't request your opinion on the cause and I prefer to stick with the Drs I see face to face rather than some guy on a forum. I think that is good advice for everyone.

Please people, let's not forget our manners! :)

Jiro, your advice is very welcome, but TXgolfer has the right to use it or not.

TXgolfer, Jiro was only trying to help, not bug you in any way I think.

There there! (See? I'd be perfect as a teacher! Or an ambassador to the UN)

:). Again. Good luck.

The cause for that big drop years ago was actually vascular. Most of the hearing came back after meds. So basically I had 2 different causes for the loss at that time. Meds corrected the vascular problem but the Menieres continued on slowly.

Me grouchy? Now that's :lol: worthy. That being said I didn't request your opinion on the cause and I prefer to stick with the Drs I see face to face rather than some guy on a forum. I think that is good advice for everyone.

yep. still butthurt, I see. good luck with whatever your situation is :wave:

Please, can we keep this thread more on topic and not have any in0fighting or anything like that? This thread has been so helpful to so many people, myself included and I would hate to have a problem with it.

lol you're too nice but I wasn't helping him cuz I ain't a doctor. Just saying what I think.

it's funny how he got all bothered like that. lol!!! oye I better not lol too hard cuz I ate too much pho soup. :dizzy:

Yep, at U of M. Definitely we'll be enemies when they play! Starting my sophomore yr there and I love it.

You're at U of M? Here's a wave from an ol' Spartan, here! :wave:

During the week of the MSU - U of M game, we'll have to be mortal enemies, but other than that - yay for the great state of Michigan!

(I was born and grew up in the lower southwestern corner of the state, right on the lake.)

You might be a Michigander ...

This is just for glickchick. Everyone else, read at your own risk. You probably won't understand most of it.

Be sure to scroll all the way down. The final joke (not from the one-liners, but the last of the two jokes at the end) made me laugh out loud.

Hehe that's great! While I'm relatively new to Michigan, surprisingly I get many of the references. Big adjustment going from NYC to Ann Arbor, but I love everything about the school and the area.

You're at U of M? Here's a wave from an ol' Spartan, here! :wave:

During the week of the MSU - U of M game, we'll have to be mortal enemies, but other than that - yay for the great state of Michigan!

(I was born and grew up in the lower southwestern corner of the state, right on the lake.)

This is just for glickchick. Everyone else, read at your own risk. You probably won't understand most of it.

Be sure to scroll all the way down. The final joke (not from the one-liners, but the last of the two jokes at the end) made me laugh out loud.

yep. you were right. just skimmed thru. I'm sooo lost :dunno:

Please, can we keep this thread more on topic and not have any in0fighting or anything like that? This thread has been so helpful to so many people, myself included and I would hate to have a problem with it.

I agree. This is one of the first threads I visited when I joined up. Lots of good info.

we're deaf. we know how it works :)

For me - my hair cells are too short

Bad hair cut Jiro? :giggle:

Actually you would need an electron microscope to see the hair cells in the Cochlea. Not exactly practical. There is a lot of debate about why the hair cells stop functioning. Seems a lot depends on the balance of fluids in the cochlea, perhaps genetics, perhaps, perhaps, perhaps... We know so much but understand so little.

Anybody else have anxiety about groups?

My birthday is just around the corner, and my gf wants to throw me a party. That's awfully sweet, especially because she knows that my birthday is pretty much always overlooked. And I *love* my friends; they're an awesome, amusing, lovely group of people.

But the thought of it makes me almost sick to my stomach. The last gathering we had, I ended up crying after everyone left. I missed everything. My gf tried to interpret for me, but would start signing half a sentence and then get caught up talking... not to mention it made me feel on the spot.

It keeps going back to them being used to the way I heard before, and them thinking that hearing aids are the miracle cure... How do you deal with group situations?

Personally I avoid group situations like the plague... For the same reasons.

I went to a housewarming party 2 weeks ago and ended up leaving because I couldn't follow a single conversation. So I guess to answer your question... I don't deal with group situations.

Back