Adjustment to late onset deafness

If you have severed the cochlear nerve in a violent car accident, you also almost certainly severed the facial nerve also.

Maybe she will meet you as you suggested and you can check for facial paralysis! :lol:

I have heard of someone losing their hearing from a car accident..so she isn't the only one

I have heard of someone losing their hearing from a car accident..so she isn't the only one

Of course. And there is more than one way to lose your hearing that way,.

But if you sever the cochlear nerve, you understand the placement of cranial nerve VII?

Trust me, said the woman suffering facial paralysis.

Yes bott I do:) I have learned the 12 cranial nerves and I know that VII or facial nerve comes before the vestibulocochlear nerve :) I'm surprised she doesn't have taste problems as well

Of course. And there is more than one way to lose your hearing that way,.

But if you sever the cochlear nerve, you understand the placement of cranial nerve VII?

Trust me, said the woman suffering facial paralysis.

Botts, she didn't say she "severed" it, but suffered "severe damage." Like a very bad bruising, I guess.

Thanks. The people at the University of Michigan are being amazing. They're going to have a CART system, as well as a note-taker for me. When I'm ready, they'll also provide an ASL interpreter, but that's a ways off as I'm just starting to learn.

You're at U of M? Here's a wave from an ol' Spartan, here! :wave:

During the week of the MSU - U of M game, we'll have to be mortal enemies, but other than that - yay for the great state of Michigan!

(I was born and grew up in the lower southwestern corner of the state, right on the lake.)

Even if you cause severe damage to a nerve it's bad...a nerve cannot regrow or fix itself

Sure, of course. I'm just saying that it sounds like the different degree of damage to the nerves would explain why the facial paralysis will probably go away, while the hearing loss is permanent.

Just got out of the audi's office today... 70dB average loss in the right, 75dB in the left... didn't expect this kind of drop from my last appointment 6 years ago... (I was at 28 right and 35 left) This is going WAY FASTER than I expected... Still a bit shocked I guess.

I'm sorry to hear that. :hug:

there are lots of deaf nurses ...so in reality you could..ps you don't have to "hear" the heartbeat anymore..you can watch it:) a lot of stethoscopes are now visual:)

a career is worth it if it's what someone really wants to do..

I think Lucia plans to become a nurse and she has been deaf since she was very young.

in her post from other thread - she got in bad car accident that damaged her cochlear nerve or something. eek!

I knew a guy who became deaf in both ears after a car accident. I think he also had some facial paralyisis too.

there are lots of deaf nurses ...so in reality you could..ps you don't have to "hear" the heartbeat anymore..you can watch it:) a lot of stethoscopes are now visual:)

a career is worth it if it's what someone really wants to do..

Well as I already switched careers and about to finish a bachelor's degree in elementary education, I'll stick with teaching!

Now there's a career that will take a lot of patience!

My mom taught kindergarten for 20 years. I would have gone stark raving crazy after a week.

the inner working of ears depends on pressure difference in cochlea fluid. what you're experiencing is fluctuation of fluidic pressure.

Really? Are you sure Dr? :lol:

actually since this event happened almost 2 decades ago present tense doesn't really apply.

Anyway, good luck lilybear. My advice would be to journal everything you do and note changes when they occur.

Perilymph Fistulas can occur that way as well. Blows to the head are a common cause in fact. :dunno:

Really? Are you sure Dr? :lol:

actually since this event happened almost 2 decades ago present tense doesn't really apply.

Anyway, good luck lilybear. My advice would be to journal everything you do and note changes when they occur.

we're deaf. we know how it works :)

For me - my hair cells are too short

I had Doctors tell me that my cochlear is lacking hairs.. I had some tell me that I have nerve damage.... Funny thing is.. no one actually looked in my inner ear. They are just guessing with the type of hearing loss I have. Nothing wrong with my outer or middle ear. They can see the ear drum moving and fuctioning fine.

Jiro.. out of curiousity.. How do you know if your hair cells are too short?? Most tell me I lack hairs.. not the size of it.

I had Doctors tell me that my cochlear is lacking hairs.. I had some tell me that I have nerve damage.... Funny thing is.. no one actually looked in my inner ear. They are just guessing with the type of hearing loss I have. Nothing wrong with my outer or middle ear. They can see the ear drum moving and fuctioning fine.

Jiro.. out of curiousity.. How do you know if your hair cells are too short?? Most tell me I lack hairs.. not the size of it.
that's what doctor told my dad. 20+ years later now.... medical diagnostic tools have gotten advanced and accurate but I don't really care to confirm it now.

Even if I got misdiagnosed and all of sudden - I got cured now... I still won't be able to hear and communicate effectively like a hearing person. It will be another long series of painful therapy sessions all over again. I don't ever want to go thru it again. Beside... I can't imagine having to hear all these filthy noises 24/7 especially while sleeping and riding :lol:

Just 5 min away from my home is where my friend lives. He has trouble sleeping everyday cuz his home is right next to main road. He had to keep A/C on just to sleep without disturbance. poor fella..... :aw:

Back