Adjustment to late onset deafness

Not in my case... well not so far. He knows it's progressive obviously, and that it is sensorineural. I have 2 deaf cousins on my father's side (which I don't have any way to contact as we never got in touch after my father and grand-father died) so it's probably genetic in some way. Why doesn't matter I think... because it won't change the result.

what are you doing now in regards to school? You know there are stethoscopes for deaf/hoh right? :)

Hey all,

Just a quick update. So I started ASL classes last week. It's going well, but man, it is really hard. It's going to take a long time to learn this, but I know I need to do it (not too many other choices now that I am totally deaf). 2 of my friends and my family (mom, dad, and sister) are taking the class with me, which is helping.

Still struggling with my new life here. I'm trying to adapt, but honestly, I miss my hearing. When does it get easier?

It does and it doesn't. Others can respond to the ASL aspect. That's great that you've got friends and family learning it along with you.

For me, it got "easier" the more I used whatever technology was available, and got over being shy or diffident about hauling out the mic (FM-type system) for a group luncheon, for instance. I also learned to be less shy about telling people that I need to see their faces when they are speaking to me. At public lectures or meetings, I made sure to get there in plenty of time to grab a front-row seat.

Do you use HAs at all or are they not helpful to you?

Thanks. So unfortunately, hearing aides won't do anything for me, as I've lost 100% of my hearing. It's just so hard to fathom the fact that about 4 weeks ago, I was a completely normal, hearing, carefree 19 yr old chick on summer vacation from college, and now, fast forward and I'm completely deaf and in flux. I think I've come to the realization that this is how I am now, and it's not going to change, but it's still difficult to deal with. Starting the ASL class was tough because it was like the last piece of my identity as a hearing person was going away.

I just find that the little things are the toughest, like running into someone I know in the street, but who doesn't yet know that I am now unable to hear them. Being in NYC, the noisiest place in the world, it's incredibly tough to be going for a run, seeing taxis and commotion, and hearing absolutely nothing. I'm expecting sound, but it's not there.

I'm looking forward to going back to college in a week, but I know it's going to be super tough. The school is making great accommodations for me, but I know it's going to be a major adjustment for me, my friends, and everyone, but I made it my mission that I'm not going to let being deaf kill my dreams.

Thanks. So unfortunately, hearing aides won't do anything for me, as I've lost 100% of my hearing. It's just so hard to fathom the fact that about 4 weeks ago, I was a completely normal, hearing, carefree 19 yr old chick on summer vacation from college, and now, fast forward and I'm completely deaf and in flux. I think I've come to the realization that this is how I am now, and it's not going to change, but it's still difficult to deal with. Starting the ASL class was tough because it was like the last piece of my identity as a hearing person was going away.

I just find that the little things are the toughest, like running into someone I know in the street, but who doesn't yet know that I am now unable to hear them. Being in NYC, the noisiest place in the world, it's incredibly tough to be going for a run, seeing taxis and commotion, and hearing absolutely nothing. I'm expecting sound, but it's not there.

I'm looking forward to going back to college in a week, but I know it's going to be super tough. The school is making great accommodations for me, but I know it's going to be a major adjustment for me, my friends, and everyone, but I made it my mission that I'm not going to let being deaf kill my dreams.

Since I dont know what it is like to be late deafened, all I can say is that keep coming to AD for any advice or support as you go through your first semester of college as a deaf person. Just keep this in mind...many of us who were born deaf have graduated from college so if things get really tough, remember this and keep going! Your education will be valuable later on. :hug:

@AliciaM

I wouldn't want to have someone's life depend on if my batteries will survive or not (+ I couldn't distinguish a heart murmur from a normal heartbeat so not worth it).

@RachelRene

I 'hear' you girl! Your story and mine sounds pretty much alike! The ENT's now looking for Meniere's as I'm having episodes of massive vertigo among other things.

Do the doctors have any idea what happened? If you posted that and I missed it, I apologize.

Good for you. Determination will get you a long way. It's also great that you have asked for accommodation and the school is doing it. What exactly will they provide? Obviously a sign-language interpreter is not going to do you much good yet. Will they have a CART system? (Like closed-captions, but on a screen near the professor who is speaking.) That might work well for you, and probably would benefit others in the class too.

Do the doctors have any idea what happened? If you posted that and I missed it, I apologize.

in her post from other thread - she got in bad car accident that damaged her cochlear nerve or something. eek!

Ah, I must have missed that. Wow.

no you didn't miss it. she posted similar messages all over different threads :dizzy:

I find it hard to believe that you can become deaf from car accident. if the impact must be that strong, then she would have gotten a severe brain damage or.... even death! :Ohno:

People can become deaf from beatings, among other things, so it's not that surprising that a car accident might do it, if your head hits the wrong thing at just the wrong angle.

Just got out of the audi's office today... 70dB average loss in the right, 75dB in the left... didn't expect this kind of drop from my last appointment 6 years ago... (I was at 28 right and 35 left) This is going WAY FASTER than I expected... Still a bit shocked I guess.

Both of my ears took a dramatic plunge like that and lasted about a month and came back. Then my right ear went downhill real fast again but my left ear dropped very slowly. I don't think any 2 people have the same experience which is why it's so difficult for Drs to predict and treat.

Good luck to you

no you didn't miss it. she posted similar messages all over different threads :dizzy:

I find it hard to believe that you can become deaf from car accident. if the impact must be that strong, then she would have gotten a severe brain damage or.... even death! :Ohno:

Call me naive... but I don't think anyone would want to fake being deaf.

Call me naive... but I don't think anyone would want to fake being deaf.

oh I wasn't implying that she was faking it. It's just something new I learned today that it is possible to be deaf from a bad car accident.

Most cases I hear are mostly from serious illness, serious infection, and side effect from aggressive medications.

Both of my ears took a dramatic plunge like that and lasted about a month and came back. Then my right ear went downhill real fast again but my left ear dropped very slowly. I don't think any 2 people have the same experience which is why it's so difficult for Drs to predict and treat.

Good luck to you

the inner working of ears depends on pressure difference in cochlea fluid. what you're experiencing is fluctuation of fluidic pressure.

oh I wasn't implying that she was faking it. It's just something new I learned today that it is possible to be deaf from a bad car accident.

Most cases I hear are mostly from serious illness, serious infection, and side effect from aggressive medications.

same here. Didn't think of this one that could happen.

I can go into a lot more detail based on what the docs said, but the here's the gist of it:i hit my head on the impact, and it caused severe damage to my cochlear nerve and minor swelling to the facial nerve. The swelling to the facial nerve caused slight facial paralysis, which thank god is hardly noticeable (and should be temporary).

So yeah, I never imagined it could happen either, but I'm now living proof that it is possible.

-Lauren

Thanks. The people at the University of Michigan are being amazing. They're going to have a CART system, as well as a note-taker for me. When I'm ready, they'll also provide an ASL interpreter, but that's a ways off as I'm just starting to learn.

Sending you lots of love, girlie... because that is a HUGE change, in such a short time. I know it's a lot to adjust to, and it's hard to let go of one identity and begin to adopt a new one... College was hard on me, too, because it seemed like the hearing issues I could ignore in daily life became glaringly obvious in class. But it sounds like you have a support system, and the school is working with you, and hopefully you'll find people here, and in your ASL class, that you can identify with... and begin building a new identity, and a new life. Because while it can be frustrating, and sad, the one thing is for sure--losing your hearing does not mean losing a full life.

Give yourself time to grieve what's been lost, and just know you're not alone.

Good luck!

If you have severed the cochlear nerve in a violent car accident, you also almost certainly severed the facial nerve also.

Maybe she will meet you as you suggested and you can check for facial paralysis! :lol:

@AliciaM

I wouldn't want to have someone's life depend on if my batteries will survive or not (+ I couldn't distinguish a heart murmur from a normal heartbeat so not worth it).

there are lots of deaf nurses ...so in reality you could..ps you don't have to "hear" the heartbeat anymore..you can watch it:) a lot of stethoscopes are now visual:)

a career is worth it if it's what someone really wants to do..

Back