Ack! S-O-S Help!

operating system not found after funny noise/vibration mean hard drive is died.

Nothing do with battery, motherboard, and virus. No matter how old hard drive is. My father own laptop for 10 years and hard drive still alive. My friend's laptop hard drive got died after few months.

So you can't re-install O/S because hard drive is died. It's easy to figure it out.

Solve the problem. You need replace the new hard drive.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint M Series MP0402H 40GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
Under $50 for that.
:ty:

I got the new hard drive from Newegg. Works great!

It's a pain to install everything again, change settings, hook up network, etc., but at least it works again, and it wasn't too expensive.

:ty:

I got the new hard drive from Newegg. Works great!

It's a pain to install everything again, change settings, hook up network, etc., but at least it works again, and it wasn't too expensive.

Aw dang, wish you get 7200 rpm instead of 5400 rpm. It loads program much faster. Ah well that's life. :ugh::dunno:

Catty

She's not hardcore gamer or hardcore PC users.
You got that right! I have no (none, zero, nada) games on my laptop. I even got rid of the ones that come with the computer. :)

I followed The Highlander's suggestion to shop newegg. I didn't get the exact hard drive that he suggested but I did buy one from the same place.

I got the Seagate Momentus 5400.2 60 GB 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache ATA-6 notebook hard drive OEM for $49 + $5.29 shippping.

I followed The Highlander's suggestion to shop newegg. I didn't get the exact hard drive that he suggested but I did buy one from the same place.

I got the Seagate Momentus 5400.2 60 GB 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache ATA-6 notebook hard drive OEM for $49 + $5.29 shippping.

Wow. You got a very good deal to buy it. :dance2:

Got my XP fixed.. I simply slip the XP CDrom and ran it. Hit "R" for repair. I use "CHKDSK" and hit return. It scanned and fix. I rebooted and Bingo!! I'm back on M$ world in order to get my network printer working (to keep my wife happy). I am still newbie to Ubuntu. I'm going to get back to Ubuntu and setup network printer sharing (My printer, HP PSC 2175 is compatible w/ Ubuntu).. My Linux box is behind router and I'm using M$ on laptop upstair wirelessly.. I did setup and ran SAMBA on Ubuntu. It can "see" my Lappy's name but can't get in. MY lappy can "see" Ubuntu CPU's name but can't get in. So I'm at moot point that I can't either access files on other computer tho.

Oh well! At least I got XP fixed.

Catty

Wow. That's a lot of work. Maybe, you could look up both administrator's passwords to see if they allow you to get in both computers.

Got my XP fixed.. I simply slip the XP CDrom and ran it. Hit "R" for repair. I use "CHKDSK" and hit return. It scanned and fix. I rebooted and Bingo!! I'm back on M$ world in order to get my network printer working (to keep my wife happy). I am still newbie to Ubuntu. I'm going to get back to Ubuntu and setup network printer sharing (My printer, HP PSC 2175 is compatible w/ Ubuntu).. My Linux box is behind router and I'm using M$ on laptop upstair wirelessly.. I did setup and ran SAMBA on Ubuntu. It can "see" my Lappy's name but can't get in. MY lappy can "see" Ubuntu CPU's name but can't get in. So I'm at moot point that I can't either access files on other computer tho.

Oh well! At least I got XP fixed.

Catty

I got my XP to get in Ubuntu's file. It was Ubuntu's Login program. I changed the password and bingo it got me in after typing Ubuntu's server password. And finally got XP client printer working. I posted new thread in blog.

Reba,

If your XP crash and won't boot up properly. Try using XP Cdrom and boot into Windows Setup (once it's finished setting up drivers). Once you are in XP setup. hit "R" to repair. Then Once you in the DOS menu. Type "Help" to get lists of commands you want to use.. type "CHKDSK" and hit return. Let it scan hard drive and repair it. And also type "CHKBOOT" to repair bootup record.

After that, take out XP Cdrom and reboot ur system. You should be able to get in your XP desktop. That's for your future reference.

Thanks
Catty

I got my XP to get in Ubuntu's file. It was Ubuntu's Login program. I changed the password and bingo it got me in after typing Ubuntu's server password. And finally got XP client printer working. I posted new thread in blog.

Reba,

If your XP crash and won't boot up properly. Try using XP Cdrom and boot into Windows Setup (once it's finished setting up drivers). Once you are in XP setup. hit "R" to repair. Then Once you in the DOS menu. Type "Help" to get lists of commands you want to use.. type "CHKDSK" and hit return. Let it scan hard drive and repair it. And also type "CHKBOOT" to repair bootup record.

After that, take out XP Cdrom and reboot ur system. You should be able to get in your XP desktop. That's for your future reference.

Thanks
Catty
My XP didn't crash; the hard drive tore up; that is, physically damaged. I replaced the hard drive, loaded everything up again, and it works fine now.

Thanks for the info for future reference. :ty:

sometimes when that happens your mouse will still move around but no desktop icons. Try this. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL then click task manager. From there click the bottom right button that says new task. Type in explorer and click ok. That will sometimes bring your desktop back. Good luck.

Back