Ack! S-O-S Help!

I think that OS was located in hard drive or just in motherboard or something?

IT's located in hard drive!!! Sheesh!! Motherboard just use BIOS to boot up the first thing you power on then Hdd boots up XP after BIOS. If you wanted to believe me, flip ur lappy upsidedown and unscrew the cover and unscrew bracket that shiny thin rectangular thing (that's hard drive) and slide it out ((don't lift the hdd out cuz of pins plugged in jack, just slide out to unplug then lift hddr nice and easy as it were a bomb. DON"T DROP IT!! you'll kill hddr if you drop it on floor. LOL)). Then flip ur lappy upright, Boot up ur lappy, you'll see BIOS screen then say "no boot drive". Try using ANY LiveCD Linux such as Knoppix, Ubuntu, ect. Boot it from CDrom and it'll boot right up to Linux w/o hdd. M$ haven't had a way to boot WinXP w/o hdd LOL. I've heard Bart's PE which allow you to boot into XP on CD. IT'll be a stripped down version WinXP to use. M$ would not offer support on that. Cheer Cheer goes to Linux!!!

I ordered a new hard drive from newegg. It should be here tomorrow.

Good luck!

Be sure ur laptop has to be correcatily that kind of hard drive! Cuz if not it can ruined it very badly or maybe damage!! U must be sure u got the order right kind of HD for ur laptop... I hope u did... that how I learned something abt it... unless maybe I am wrong lol... but u know I mean, tho...

But glad u ordered it.. hopefully it runs better and be happy with it! I had that same plms with my old on long time ago!! 2nd times! Once very first time I got my new computer from my bro and one month later it went crash!! It was dead! Couldn't belive that happened! But finally got it fixed with my warranty..whew! then a yr later, it was running so bad and funny... so damn slow... finally had to re-installed to be cleaned comptelty... found it it was dead! Sheesh! So finally got me free hd cuz of my warrnty... lucky me lol... then it ran for more 9 yrs now...which it was Windows 98! I planned to have it clean by re-intallaed again as it was been too long...long overdue... cuz it now belong to my mother but she not know how only use email peroid! lol... Anyway.. I also have another older Windows 95 still ran and used by my cousin which I gave her...so far still working! Can't belive it lol... I had 5... 4 pc and one laptop now... lol but now only 2 pc and one latptop... one for my cousin and other one was very older than any others... windows 3.11....threw away! No good! It has no internet, tho.

So good luck tho and do let me know...

Hi Reba,

wish I was there earlier to give you a little bit of advice. I been working for school as ITS for almost 11 years.

In my small business (Part time), I do a computer consulting and repair service for home, business and educations.

1. When you get the hard drive from newegg

You need to take out the old hard drive out (2.5") then put the new one in. Then pop in the Windows disc in and follow the instructions. Won't be hard to do.

2. After your done with the Windows installation. If you want to transfer your old data from your 1st hard drive. I suggest you buy a usb to 2.5" ide converter.

When you get it, plug it in with your 1st hard drive then put the usb into your laptop with the new one installed. Then you should be able transfer 'em into your laptop. If you don't really know where to find your personal files, I'll be more then happy help through a desktop remote connection.

If you want to know more about this software, on your windows, go to "Run" from start menu and type "mstsc" then click "Ok". When it's open, click "Help". That'll give you more idea what it can do.

I been doing this for my work at the school and to my long distance customers.

If you prefer in person, I wish you a good luck with the old hard drive.

Have a good evening.

Be sure ur laptop has to be correcatily that kind of hard drive! Cuz if not it can ruined it very badly or maybe damage!! U must be sure u got the order right kind of HD for ur laptop... I hope u did... that how I learned something abt it... unless maybe I am wrong lol... but u know I mean, tho...
I believe we ordered the right one. We checked the form factor, the interface, the rpm's, and the capacity.

But glad u ordered it.. hopefully it runs better and be happy with it!
Thanks. I hope so, too. :P

So good luck tho and do let me know...
It arrived this afternoon. I'm not going to work on it tonight. I want to wait until I don't have to rush, and I'm not sleepy.

Hi Reba,

wish I was there earlier to give you a little bit of advice. I been working for school as ITS for almost 11 years.

In my small business (Part time), I do a computer consulting and repair service for home, business and educations.

1. When you get the hard drive from newegg

You need to take out the old hard drive out (2.5") then put the new one in. Then pop in the Windows disc in and follow the instructions. Won't be hard to do.

2. After your done with the Windows installation. If you want to transfer your old data from your 1st hard drive. I suggest you buy a usb to 2.5" ide converter.

When you get it, plug it in with your 1st hard drive then put the usb into your laptop with the new one installed. Then you should be able transfer 'em into your laptop. If you don't really know where to find your personal files, I'll be more then happy help through a desktop remote connection.

If you want to know more about this software, on your windows, go to "Run" from start menu and type "mstsc" then click "Ok". When it's open, click "Help". That'll give you more idea what it can do.

I been doing this for my work at the school and to my long distance customers.

If you prefer in person, I wish you a good luck with the old hard drive.

Have a good evening.
Thanks.

We already took out the old one before we ordered the new one, so we could verify the form factor and interface specs.

I probably won't do more until tomorrow or Friday. Depends on my work schedule. I want to be able to work on it without interruptions.

I have the Windows XP disc, and the security update disc. I backed up my files on my Seagate external hard drive. I plan to download them but not all at once. I can pick and choose from the Seagate (at least, that's what it says).

What do you think?

it could be software/hardware conflict. I cannot put my mac to sleep because it will crash in its sleep and won't wake up. its due to the usb 2.0 pci card causing the issue. I just set it to monitor to automatically go to sleep when its idle, not the computer.

Thanks.

We already took out the old one before we ordered the new one, so we could verify the form factor and interface specs.

I probably won't do more until tomorrow or Friday. Depends on my work schedule. I want to be able to work on it without interruptions.

I have the Windows XP disc, and the security update disc. I backed up my files on my Seagate external hard drive. I plan to download them but not all at once. I can pick and choose from the Seagate (at least, that's what it says).

What do you think?

You're welcome.

Glad to hear you did back it up!

Ok, good you got the old hard drive out, now google it with your old hard drive's model numbers, that'll help you verify it.

You backed it up to your external hard drive before the laptop crash? If so, when was it happen?

What I am saying that when you get your new hard drive installed THEN use the USB to 2.5 IDE adapter connected to your old one and plug it in to your laptop with your new OS installed. That way you should get the most recent files to back it up. It's very similar to usb flash drive. I'm just suggesting that you'll have higher chance to back it up the most recent data.

If you happen back up the most important files before it crash and don't need to back it up till it got crash, you don't need to buy the usb to 2.5" adapter.

OR... you can send your old hard drive in the mail to me, then I'll look it up and see if I can back it up the files you want into a blank CD or DVD (Depends on how many files' size) then mail it back to you. I charges people like this for $50 with free return shipping. Using paypal is highly recommended. If you're interested, we can discuss more about it thur VP.

Have a good evening. :ty: for respond.

Last edited:
Ok, good you got the old hard drive out, now google it with your old hard drive's model numbers, that'll help you verify it.
Did that.

You backed it up to your external hard drive before the laptop crash? If so, when was it happen?

What I am saying that when you get your new hard drive installed THEN use the USB to 2.5 IDE adapter connected to your old one and plug it in to your laptop with your new OS installed. That way you should get the most recent files to back it up. It's very similar to usb flash drive. I'm just suggesting that you'll have higher chance to back it up the most recent data.

If you happen back up the most important files before it crash and don't need to back it up till it got crash, you don't need to buy the usb to 2.5" adapter.
I keep very few files on the laptop that aren't also on my PC. The only files that are on the laptop that aren't in the PC are my saved emails in Outlook Express. The most recent ones weren't backed up but none of them were really crucial.

OR... you can send your old hard drive in the mail to me, then I'll look it up and see if I can back it up the files you want into a blank CD or DVD (Depends on how many files' size) then mail it back to you. I charges people like this for $50 with free return shipping. Using paypal is highly recommended. If you're interested, we can discuss more about it thur VP.
Thanks for the offer but I don't think that will be necessary.

:ty: for respond.
:ty:

Did that.

I keep very few files on the laptop that aren't also on my PC. The only files that are on the laptop that aren't in the PC are my saved emails in Outlook Express. The most recent ones weren't backed up but none of them were really crucial.

Thanks for the offer but I don't think that will be necessary.

:ty:

Good. Lucky for you didn't lose anything important.

You're welcome.

TTYL and thanks for some chats. :wave:

Hi Reba,

What I am saying that when you get your new hard drive installed THEN use the USB to 2.5 IDE adapter connected to your old one and plug it in to your laptop with your new OS installed. That way you should get the most recent files to back it up. It's very similar to usb flash drive. I'm just suggesting that you'll have higher chance to back it up the most recent data

DeafHalo, didn't you realize that her hdd is no good. What she described sound like it had bad bearing in platter and reader head won't be able to read data out of it cuz it's vibrating badly. YOu could extract it what you plan to do if she willing mail you old hdd if she had a precious files in it. If not then she'll start froms scratch.

Catty

Newer Laptops have a program that for the first time you setup Windows XP or Vista, It will ask you to slip in DVDR to DVDrw drive and burn a copy of original Windows OS before you can use it. I did the same on Acer Aspire laptop when I got it. There are software for older laptop that you can buy and install to let you make backup copy of OS w/ everything in it.

Catty

Hi Reba,

What I am saying that when you get your new hard drive installed THEN use the USB to 2.5 IDE adapter connected to your old one and plug it in to your laptop with your new OS installed. That way you should get the most recent files to back it up. It's very similar to usb flash drive. I'm just suggesting that you'll have higher chance to back it up the most recent data

DeafHalo, didn't you realize that her hdd is no good. What she described sound like it had bad bearing in platter and reader head won't be able to read data out of it cuz it's vibrating badly. So she is out of luck for transferring hdd to new drive.

Reba have to start from scratch.

Catty

Hi Catty,

Yes, I do realized that her hard disk is no good (I'm just suggesting like I said), but for my customers, I always test it to be sure it's DEAD and it's worth to try and see if the hard disk can be able to read/write then I can back 'em up. Most of the time I got lucky. I used to do that sometime for serious customers that want to back it up. One time my customer gave me the old bad hard drive, so I put it in the freezer for about ten minutes or less then I took it out and plug it back to the computer, it works for short time and got a chance to back 'em up! I know this sound crazy at first for me, but it's work at lease. You can google it and see for yourself, that's where I learn from it. If you couldn't find it and I'll be more then happy to give you a direct link.

Hi Catty,

Yes, I do realized that her hard disk is no good (I'm just suggesting like I said), but for my customers, I always test it to be sure it's DEAD and it's worth to try and see if the hard disk can be able to read/write then I can back 'em up. Most of the time I got lucky. I used to do that sometime for serious customers that want to back it up. One time my customer gave me the old bad hard drive, so I put it in the freezer for about ten minutes or less then I took it out and plug it back to the computer, it works for short time and got a chance to back 'em up! I know this sound crazy at first for me, but it's work at lease. You can google it and see for yourself, that's where I learn from it. If you couldn't find it and I'll be more then happy to give you a direct link.

Yup. It can be done. It's a game of chance. If not then take it apart in a "clean room" environment and take platters to another Similiar type hdd so that you can run it and extract it. It may be complicated and risky. But worth it.

I've customized one of old hdd by removing and cutting out top cover of hdd and put Plexiglass window inside of it then add LED light inside of it pointing to top platter. (soldered from onboard hdd's LED). then put cover back in and screw it back in. It's soooo cooowwll to watch Hdd r/w head flicks soo fast w/ strobe of Hdd LED. It can be found on website by google search "hard drive mod" here's website: linear1 case mods » hard drive mod. I love CPU mods (plenty of funny ways to build cpu case). But hdd didn't last that long cuz I bumped the hdd accidently while swapping and the dust from inside of plexiglass and glue fell on platter and it damaged it. Ooops!! it's old hdd anyway (dumped in trash) LOL. :rockon:

purplecatty said:
Yup. It can be done. It's a game of chance. If not then take it apart in a "clean room" environment and take platters to another Similiar type hdd so that you can run it and extract it. It may be complicated and risky. But worth it.

Lol, which remind me when in my childhood, I used to take apart almost everything from the computer, I didn't have much social life with deaf peoples back then. I live far away in the country. Very beautiful place but almost none of deaf people I know around there. That's the main reason I became skilled on the computers so I start my own business ever since and works for the school as ITS. Yeah, taking apart on the HHD is the most risk. :)

I've customized one of old hdd by removing and cutting out top cover of hdd and put Plexiglass window inside of it then add LED light inside of it pointing to top platter. (soldered from onboard hdd's LED). then put cover back in and screw it back in. It's soooo cooowwll to watch Hdd r/w head flicks soo fast w/ strobe of Hdd LED. It can be found on website by google search "hard drive mod" here's website: linear1 case mods » hard drive mod. I love CPU mods (plenty of funny ways to build cpu case). But hdd didn't last that long cuz I bumped the hdd accidently while swapping and the dust from inside of plexiglass and glue fell on platter and it damaged it. Ooops!! it's old hdd anyway (dumped in trash) LOL. :rockon:

That's cool to hear you did some mod on the HHD. Me too, I do love mess it around whatever from my mind! I wanted to put couple of the computer's parts inside the mini refrigerator with my favorite soda. So I don't have to put the fans on 'em. But I didn't get much chance to play with it. Oh well.

I once saw from the internet about a guy build his own rat case in his computer's CRT monitor (empty). So he can have his pet next to him! Neat idea, but the problem is he smells his pet's craps. :giggle: There's much more of gallery for MODS. Their designs look awesome most of the time.

:rockon: back to you too.

purplecatty said:
Lol, which remind me when in my childhood, I used to take apart almost everything from the computer, I didn't have much social life with deaf peoples back then. I live far away in the country. Very beautiful place but almost none of deaf people I know around there. That's the main reason I became skilled on the computers so I start my own business ever since and works for the school as ITS. Yeah, taking apart on the HHD is the most risk. :)

That's cool to hear you did some mod on the HHD. Me too, I do love mess it around whatever from my mind! I wanted to put couple of the computer's parts inside the mini refrigerator with my favorite soda. So I don't have to put the fans on 'em. But I didn't get much chance to play with it. Oh well.

I once saw from the internet about a guy build his own rat case in his computer's CRT monitor (empty). So he can have his pet next to him! Neat idea, but the problem is he smells his pet's craps. :giggle: There's much more of gallery for MODS. Their designs look awesome most of the time.

:rockon: back to you too.

IF you love extreme modding try this!! YouTube - 5 ghz Overloading CPU project Also This is the BEST part!! --->>YouTube - Oil Cooled CPU

Show it off to ur friends :rockon: :rockon: :evil: :evil: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Have Fun
Catty

Need help with my computer that has problem with boot that it repeat itself over and over again and i cannot get it start up. I tried everything with F8, F12 and Delete to get it start, but no luck! But i just found it out that on the internet that looks good to be true .... The Boot CD and have you ever tried this one yet? Do you think that this one will help to start boot my computer without taking it to computer shop for extra bucks? (I had to borrow my wife's computer to use it) Or do you have any ideas how to get my computer back on i meant boot it up on BIOS??? I am so helpless with that!!!!!

Back