A rant

deafdyke said:
Reba and Seri, here are some Asperger's views on what I said...http://www.xmission.com/~winter/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/3192.html.:

I don't think it's too big of a deal at all deafdyke, so I don't think you need to defend yourself. My post was just meant to point out that there are other words that could be less potentially harmful to use, and lower the risk of offending anyone.

I remember one time I posted on a collecting board for a toy I collect, venting about something that had happened to me. I used the phrase "isn't that retarded??", not thinking anything of it at all.

One of the girls there got extremely offended and angry, saying her little brother was mentally handicapped and that it was offensive to her when people used the word in the way that I did. I was floored...I had never really thought about it, and even after thinking about it, I still didn't really find it offensive, but...I was glad she pointed it out and now I use the word more carefully, especially since there are many other words I can use.

Some will be offended, some won't think anything of it. Pretty much a standard in life so I wouldn't worry about it too much, I'm sure anyone that has read your posts here realizes you didn't mean it as an insult. Thanks for the link though, it IS interesting to see others' view on the subject.

I used the phrase "isn't that retarded??"
Yeah, but that's more like how some people say "that's so gay."
People use "that's so retarded or that's so gay as obvious insults.....but I didn't say "That's so Asperger's" ....I did not use it as an insult or negatively....I was using it sort of like a simale or a benchmark to descibe the level of obsession that they have in that chatroom. Saying that they are obsessed doesn't really cover it. An obession is more of an extreme interest.
With Asperger's if they have the obessions (and that's interesting that it's not a textbook first tier symptom....always thought it was. That's the way it usually is discussed in articles and websites....I will have to double check on that.....)
it's like the interest is ALL they talk about......I was simply trying to convey the extremity of their interest in CIs. How about if in future instead of using the desciptor Asperger's on its own, I'll use the phrase Asperger's obession?

Talk about an obsession

I read this thread with great intrest and I really don't want to be dragged into it, BUT I am a sucker for sticking my neck out. deafdyke you and breezy really have a bad hate on for the CI Chat on Hearing Exchange, that is sad but if the chat was as bad as your examples (I have never seen it like that anytime I have been there????) I guess you would be justified. I have to say I have found great support in that room, and plenty of folks willing to help anyone who asks. I have not seen anyone pressured to get a CI, and anyone who I have seen there when they ask are told to talk to an Audi or other professional about weather a CI is right for them. Of course the chat in that room is mostly about CI's and peoples experience with them, it is a "CI Chat" what else would you expect??? I hate to see trash talk like I have seen in this thread about any group that is trying to offer support to others, it is a sad thing! I have been going to CI CHat often and will continue to go as often as I can. They are a great group of folks and considering there is a specific subject they are there to discuss "Cochlear Implants" which is of particular interest to me I will keep going there. I don't know what happened to make you 2 both so hostile towards HE and it is a shame I get the feeling from reading your posts you are both very intelligent ladies and could offer much to any chat room.

BTW I was implanted in June of this year, and I am doing very well with my CI, it's not any "8th wonder of the world" and I did not expect it would be. I guess the CI center (& the folks in CI Chat on the Hearing Exchange) prepared me right "low expectations and high hopes" and I am very happy with the result.

Regards
Mike "Ears Hopin" P

deafdyke you and breezy really have a bad hate on for the CI Chat on Hearing Exchange, that is sad but if the chat was as bad as your examples (I have never seen it like that anytime I have been there????) I guess you would be justified. I have to say I have found great support in that room, and plenty of folks willing to help anyone who asks. I have not seen anyone pressured to get a CI, and anyone who I have seen there when they ask are told to talk to an Audi or other professional about weather a CI is right for them. Of course the chat in that room is mostly about CI's and peoples experience with them, it is a "CI Chat" what else would you expect???
Maybe we were a little too hard on the chat. However, the thing is....it's not just a CI chat....If it was just a CI chatroom, then Breezy and I would have absolutly no objections. However, except for Wednesdays....the HE chat is a general hearing health chat. It's just that ALL they talk about is CI, CI, to the point where it's almost like the chatters have an Asperger's obssession.
I remember a thread started by someone (not Breezy or me or Naj) that said that she thought that the chats were too focused on CIs.
Agreed....the support in that chat room might be good, but....it's like ALL they talk about are CIs. Breezy and I love our hearing aids, but we don't spend every single waking hour talking about them, the way some of the chatters do.

MEEP. *Reads* .. o.o
I don't think DD likes CIs xDDDD. Rofl. I personally wouldn't want one, I'd just probably function how I do now with rehabilitation and lips reading. xD

DD likes CIs
Nope.....you're wrong on that. I think that CIs can and are good tools,but some folks are promoting it like it's the Eighth Wonder Of the World!
You don't see this with hearing aids or whatever.....

Back