A rant

TheWolf said:
#3 i don't think some one with a moderate loss, such as yourself, should be bitching about the fact that thier loss isn't bad enough to obtain a CI! be happy aids work for you.
HOOOWWWLLL!

I don't qualify for a CI and I can't use aids (they don't work). This sucks. Sorry just complaining LOL

Julia

The Wolf.....you complety missed my point. I think the CI is wonderful.....especially for people with progessive loss or auditory nereopathy....I'm just sick of them being HYPED AND MARKETED....some of the advocates are almost Asperger Syndrome about them! If they were hyped and marketed in a resoniable manner, ala hearing aids or whatever, I wouldn't even be complaining. But the hype has gotten to the point where it's OVERKILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Whew! I sure missed alot of the action early on. I can see all kinds of good arguments for a balance presentation for CIs. I agree that not everybody is a suitable candidate for them. I know the way I took to it like a whale in the water right off the bat is not typical either. It is a shame that if one is doing quite well with HAs should even consider getting a CI just because of whatever reason one has. Heck, I would have stayed with HAs if I could have but it was not really an option for me. A CI worked beauifully for me and I have no regrets. I also had the attitude that it was going to work and that I think is one of the most important aspects getting a CI.

I agree with some speaking earlier that there is too much of the "hype" factor that it is a "cure" and so on. It doesn't cure deafness but rather allows one to be a part of the hearing world in varying degrees depending on one's ability to utilize them. When I talk with others about my CI (because they asked), I try to explain it in a way that is realistic about the experiences that others have with them both positive and negative...not just mine.

My two cents... :thumb:

The Wolf, You misunderstand me. We are in different countries. I am NOT one of those radical Deaf folks who is anti-CI/hearing aids. I am just against the commercialization/hype associated with CI. I would be ranting if people were all raving about DIGTIAL hearing aids. You guys have universal health care. CI is limited and rationed over there. However, here it's almost like I dunno....a status symbol among AG Beller yuppie types. The criteria for implantation is A LOT looser here, then in many other countries. The CI is marketed up the wazoo here. Ask many of us Americans here. They will tell you no different! I am not just bashing CI b/c it's popular to do so or whatever!

or is it because you loath the fact that you are not "deaf" enough to get one, be honest (not that you would about this).
No, why the heck would I be angry about that fact? I wear hearing aids....I have come to terms LONG ago with the fact that I am deaf....(and I have a SEVERE loss.....not a moderate loss) I just think it's being marketed a little too agressively....

Oh, and I have NOTHING against people raving about a product......It's just that TOO much of the CI raving is too shill/commercial-ly. Were you aware that quite a few of the CIers have been PAID by the CI companies to put the CI in the best possible light? I'm not against the CI, and I definitly am not jealous of people who can get it.....I'm just VERY VERY cynical and skeptical....

deafdyke said:
... However, here it's almost like I dunno....a status symbol among AG Beller yuppie types.
:confused:
Three of my good friends have CIs. None of them would be considered "AG Beller yuppie types." They still sign, they are lower middle class income level, and they are not status seekers. They wanted their CI's for practical reasons.

Do I sense some class envy here?

deafdyke said:
....some of the advocates are almost Asperger Syndrome about them!
What does that mean? I know what Asperger Syndrome is but what are you trying to say in that sentence?

Reba said:
:confused:
Three of my good friends have CIs. None of them would be considered "AG Beller yuppie types." They still sign, they are lower middle class income level, and they are not status seekers. They wanted their CI's for practical reasons.

I happen to know some at a different forum, but it wouldn't be polite of me to name them. :)

Fortunately, most CI users are great people.

No,no, no.... not at all.....there are a lot of implantees who are still heavily involved in the Deaf world....but it does seem like there are some AG Beller types who get it b/c it's the LATEST TrEnDy gadget to have. Sort of like the people who HAVE to have the latest cellphone/computer/etc.
What I meant by that Asperger Syndrome comment, is the fact that some implantees seem to be almost monomania obessed with them, in the way that an Asperger person would be. There is a site that shall not be mentioned where chat subjects are up for grabs....but you wander in...and ALL THEY talk about is CI, CI, CI. Even HearAgain (who is VERY happy with her CI) thinks that some people are Asperger.-y in relation to CI.
Fortunately, most CI users are great people
Agreed.....many CIers just want another tool or whatever....and not all of them are all high and mighty about having it...but some are...and some get it b/c it's the NEWEST tReNdIeSt thing right now! Didn't you read where HearAgain, posted about the kid who was doing really well with hearing aids, but his mom implanted him b/c he might be able to hear better?

deafdyke said:
...What I meant by that Asperger Syndrome comment, is the fact that some implantees seem to be almost monomania obessed with them, in the way that an Asperger person would be...
It just seems like that is an offensive statement to people with Asperger syndrome.

Offensive? How? I wasn't ragging on people with Asperger's Syndrome. By definitation, a person with Asperger's Syndrome is monomania obssessed with something (eg pro wrestling, jeans, '80's music etc)
That is one of the DSMV critieria for Aspeger's as a matter of fact.

deafdyke said:
Offensive? How? I wasn't ragging on people with Asperger's Syndrome. By definitation, a person with Asperger's Syndrome is monomania obssessed with something (eg pro wrestling, jeans, '80's music etc)

It is just as easy, more appropriate, and less potentially insulting to simply say they are "obsessed" with CI's. It's kind of like when hearing people say in that really exasperated voice "What, are you deaf or something?" when someone mishears...while they are not really being insulting, many deaf people resent the attitude and tone that comes across with the statement as it is unnecessary...why not simply ask "Didn't you hear me?". I can easily see someone with AS or someone who loves someone with AS resenting or being insulted by your continued comparison since you come across as using the syndrome as an insult.

Just my take on it, not picking on you ;)

Seri

*blushes*....sorry about that.....I wasn't using it as an insult. I was more using it as a desciptor.....There are obesseions and then there's ultra extreme obessions like the ones that people with Asperger's have.....and I am sure that anyone who knows and/or loves someone with Asperger's can understand the comparison.

Hear Again said:
deafdyke: I hate to say this, but I've read that the FDA is considering approving CIs for unilateral losses.

Where did you read this?!? :shock: Do you have a link?

deafdyke said:
CIObsessed:Hello! Why don't you get a CI? They are so wonderful! You must totally get a CI! They are so cool! I heard my poop drop in the toilet today...could never have done that with hearing aids!

ms_2071.gif
ms_2071.gif

ms_2071.gif
ms_2071.gif

Levonian.....seriously that is exactly what goes on in those chats! Ask Bree, ask Naj!!!! It's really not that far off.......

deafdyke said:
It's almost like mass marketing or like a bunch of Asperger's Syndrome people whose obessesion is the CI!

AD is the last place I expected to read a post that uses a negative stereotype for people with a disability.

We hearies take strong criticism for the stereotypes that we use in dealing with/describing deaf/hoh folks, here on AD. The vast majority of this criticism is completely deserved.

I'm shocked to see this behavior perpetuated by those who should fully understand its destructive nature.

It's offensive and extremely disappointing.

brianb
Husband of a beautiful HoH lady.
Father of an awe-inspiring Asperger's child.

deafdyke said:

Obsession is listed as one of the diagnostic criteria for Aspergers, but it is not a manditory component. The Asperger's diagnosis can be made without 'monomaniacal obsession'. I've never heard this term from any of my son's medical team. It sounds nice and clinical, but is extremely defamitory.

Obsessive behavior is, at best, an optional criteria. The diagnostic criteria is hierarchical. Obsessions are in the third tier. Only one third tier symptom need be present to pass the criteria. Tier 3 contains four criteria, of which, obsessions are only one.

brianb -- TS/OCD
Father of TS/Aspergers

Back