A rant

deadyke: It would be interesting to read current stats regarding those who have been implanted. I would guess that a majority of people who qualify for CIs do not have them because of insurance related issues (especially those outside of the U.S.) I'm sure there are probably other factors that contribute to this as well. For example, in Canada, the waiting list for a CI evaluation and surgery can be as much as a year long! :(

Being able to trial a CI before implantation would be great! If I remember correctly, this can be done with the BAHA.
Yeah, that would be awesome!!!!! Like I think some people are buying into the hype of CIs, too much, and opt for cis instead of hearing aids, and then might get severely disappointed when it's not what they were expecting. And you're right....it can be done with the BAHA (I've got that type of loss where BAHAs are often discussed) and with that hearing aid that's not really an implant, but has titiaum fixtures....resound maybe?
For example, in Canada, the waiting list for a CI evaluation and surgery can be as much as a year long!
Yeah, so? I mean that's a good thing...gives people a window of oppetuntity to think it over...and from what I recall like little kids aren't made to wait that long...it's just people who decide to upgrade or who are older.

Not knowing what a c.i. sounds like or being able to try one without having surgery made making the decision to get one really hard.

whenever i come across somebody who is going to get the CI...i always tell them its not going to work for the first 6 months. Sometimes i even try to discourage them so they are not excited about it when they get the CI. It helps prevent them from getting overexcited and then get let down by the results and throw it away.

mine works great for me, i could almost say its a miracle cure for me, but then again, i had 15 years of therapy and had the benefit of being implanted at age 6. (1991).

I spoke with a CI doctor who installs CI's...and he makes the soon-to-be-implantee sign a contract saying they WILL go to speech for AT LEAST 1 year (usually paid for by the insurance), or else he wont perform the surgery. He has had too many cases of people complaining that its not working right. but thats only because they were expecting more from it.

also those who are all for CI CI CI CI CI CI CI....bleh, just slap their head.

as much as im for the CI...i know the limits...i know its not a miracle and not everybody can have it. But i also do whatever i can to make sure the rumors are corrected because im tired of bashing the CI of false facts. People go as far as saying taking a shower will electrocute you :nono:

DEAFDYKE, if you only would open yourself to CI... listen to those who got them.. maybe you'll see how great they are..... gotcha!! just kidding :laugh2: bet you were bristling reading this :) hope you are not mad at me..

BTW- has anybody ever heard of Beverly Biderman who wrote the book "Wired for Sound"? I found it very interesting, informative, and of course being severe to profund H loss - considered having myself implanted.

Went to the dr, was told I am a "borderline" candidate for CI, was sent for thorough hearing test (probably 3 hrs at least), and was told that I manage too well with my current BTE to have CI implanted.

In a way I was relieved, because of what Beverly wrote- she had to learn how to hear again..

her book, IMO, would be a very good reference as to what one can expect from CI.

http://www.specialneeds.com/books.asp?id=7510

Audiofuzzy

deadyke is right in pointing out that too many people who could still benefit from HAs (or body aids) are opting for CIs (especially parents of deaf children. Just today I read a post in which a parent said their child was doing very well with hearing aids, but she chose to have him implanted because she knew he could hear a little better with a CI. <sigh>) Learning how to hear with a CI takes hard work, but it's well worth the effort if a person is willing to make the committment.

I've probably been a CI candidate for the past 2-3 years but didn't consider being evaluated until last year. My CI application spent close to a month sitting in a drawer because I kept telling myself I had too much hearing to qualify. In my heart of hearts I knew I was wrong, but couldn't admit the truth. After the hearing evaluation (Audiofuzzy, my testing also took 3 hours), I became a little emotional because it confirmed what I (and my family/friends) had suspected all along.

Being told I was a CI candidate was a mixed blessing. On one hand I was thrilled because it was what I was hoping for. On the other, I was saddened because I knew my hearing had finally reached the point where nothing further could be done.

As you can see, there are many different emotions involved with getting a CI. A person really needs to sit down and take the time necessary to find out all they can about CIs. If they don't, he/she could be making a decision they'll regret later.

deafdyke said:
Just to clarify, I am not talking about anyone here....virtually everyone here is very down to earth about CIs. What I am talking about are people at chats and different message boards who are overobessed with CI. A couple of people here, know what I am talking about.
A chat:(completely made up, but to give you an idear)
Me: hello
CIObsessed:Hello! Why don't you get a CI? They are so wonderful! You must totally get a CI! They are so cool! I heard my poop drop in the toilet today...could never have done that with hearing aids!

ILOVECIs!: "Yes, CI, CI, CIs!!!!!"
Me: "I am not eligable for CIs"
TotallyInLoveWithCIs:"How do you know? We love CIs...CIs...CIs CIs!"

Oh dear!

I understand how you feel. I would not like it when I'm in your shoe. *sigh*

It doesn't mean that you are anti-CI because you did not against CI but offer your opinion how you feel about CI is normal like me what I did with threads but with AIM is the worst.

They have no right to press your feeling about CI but respect you and your wish.

but she chose to have him implanted because she knew he could hear a little better with a CI. <sigh>) Learning how to hear with a CI takes hard work, but it's well worth the effort if a person is willing to make the committment.
That is extremely sad...I mean I can kinda understand the reasoning. It's sort of like the way I can hear with ITE aids but can hear even better with BTEs.
However I really do think in ambigous cases, that the parents should wait until the kid's old enough to help make the decison. I wonder if perhaps most of those CI sucess cases are products of families where acheivement is really really overstressed....you know the type of families where parents buy their kids toys to increase their SAT scores? I mean there have ALWAYS been kids who have used their residual hearing to the max...I know that Curtis Pride can only hear 5% of stuff with a hearing aid and yet he was an oral sucess.
I am glad I am not being attacked here. I think everyone here is very very down to earth about CIs!

"I know that Curtis Pride can only hear 5% of stuff with a hearing aid and yet he was an oral sucess. I am glad I am not being attacked here. I think everyone here is very very down to earth about CIs!"

deafdyke: That's amazing he could function so well with only 5% aidable hearing! Then again, perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised. There are some people who have been trained to use their residual hearing well while others have not -- but even then, there are many other factors to take into consideration. While I think it's important that people learn to use the residual hearing they have as much as possible, I *strongly* disagree with a totally oral approach for moderately or severely HoH who could benefit from the simultaneous use of voice and sign/TC. I'm a big fan of TC for children who receive minimal benefit from HAs or need an alternative mode of communication when they are in situations where they can't hear.

Your theory about CI success stories makes sense. In most of the posts I've read from parents of CI children, there is a heavy emphasis on success, test scores and social/educational performance. It's unfortunate because in some cases deaf children are not allowed to explore the world and to "simply be a kid."

I *strongly* disagree with a totally oral approach for moderately or severely HoH who could benefit from the simultaneous use of voice and sign/TC. I'm a big fan of TC for children who receive minimal benefit from HAs or need an alternative mode of communication when they are in situations where they can't hear.
As am I! I believe that even mildly hoh kids can benifit from Sign!
Your theory about CI success stories makes sense. In most of the posts I've read from parents of CI children, there is a heavy emphasis on success, test scores and social/educational performance. It's unfortunate because in some cases deaf children are not allowed to explore the world and to "simply be a kid."
I know....I always warn parents of kids with disabilties NOT to make therapy a lifestyle. Some therapy is good...but emphasizing it to the exclusion of everything else....ugh! I wonder how many of those kids will look back and resent their parents for making their entire life an eternal therapy session.
I just find it incredibily ironic that most of the parents who look down on Sign, would totally love it if their kids got the chance to be bilingal in Farsi/French/Spanish etc.....

Oh deafdyke *shakes head* you know i don't have to say much b/c you know how much i hate HE and everyone in there. I bet if one jumped in a fire they all would, and they'd all find something positive to say about it, and encourage other ppl to do it.

Here's another example of how insane and brainwashed those 'ppl' are. :squint:

CIgroupie: Hey ppl, i got my CI activated today. If anyone in here doesn't have one, you seriously need to go out and get one b/c if you don't you're going to die. Being deaf is the worst affliction in the world and hearing aids don't work. Donuts don't really have holes in them either.

Me:^^Why don't you just go to hell. I wear HA's and they work fine. I'm not a robot like you. I don't think CI's are for everyone.

Some1Else: Stop it Bree, you're hurting all of our feelings....

Me: Robots don't have feelings. I don't care what you have to say.

NAJ: BREE AND DEAFDYKE I'M HERE!!! I GOT MY NEW AID I'M SO EXCITED!!

Me: NAJOOBAFOO!! YAY!!!

Deafdyke: that's awesome!

CIgroupie: That is horrible. Go exchange it for a CI. NOW.

NAJ: No, Ci's are bad. I dont want one.

DIXIE: OH BUT YOU DO!!!!!! DO you have any information to validate your point? You need facts, hard core facts. CI's solve everything, even war and debt. Maybe one day CI's will solve the fact that i work in a factory.

Deafdyke: Shut up, Dixie. We hate you. You're a mean old bitch with purple hair and green skin. You eat mice for dinner. CI's aren't for everyone, you need to point out the bad facts too about CI's, like everything, they're not perfect.

Me: They give you gonhorrea and syphallus.

DIXIE:You don't know that. CI's restored my hearing and everything...everyone agrees with me...they're perfect.....they're perfect they're perfect.

CIgroupie: You two are just trying to give CI's a bad wrap b/c you're jealous. Does anyone remember that bout of GangGreen i had on my head after surgery...wasn't that pleasant?? *light hearted laugh*

DIXIE: Yes yes, i do!! I had that too! My infection lasted 6 months and it was wonderful. My hair grew back in patches and everything i hear sounds like it's coming from a radio. It's wonderful. When i was deaf i couldn't do anything, it was the worst thing in the world.

CIgroupie: I know, and i'm happy to say that most of the deaf schools are closing down and killing deaf culture. It's not even a culture it's a disability. Being deaf cripples ppl. It's aweful.

DIXIE: Oh i know...b/c i was deaf i had a bad job b/c i'm a stupid woman who works in a factory making sex toys for hermaphrodites. My husband doens't have a penis but that's ok b/c i have a CI now...

Sharon Deafdyke and Bree this is your only warning. You don't have CI's are bring evil spirits into this chat. Robots don't like that.

*SHARON KICKS BREE AND DEAFDYKE OUT AND BANS US*

The End.

*NOTE*that fictional chat isn't that different from the actual ones themeselves.

Breezy and deafdyke: Are you two serious?? Do these people really encourage you to stop using HAs even though you benefit from them? Sheesh! Inasmuch as I love my CI, I realize that they aren't for everyone. Like other CI users on the board, I won't share my experiences unless I'm asked to (or unless a question is posed on this board in regards to CIs). The way some of these people talk, you'd think CIs are the 8th wonder of the world. LOL! :) I love my CI, but I'd never discourage someone from using HAs or sign!!

deafdyke: If you want to shut these people up for good, why don't you tell them you have a conductive loss? People with conductive hearing loss can't benefit from a CI. :)

Yes, we're completely serious....they act like EVERYONE is a canidate for CI including people with otosceloris that has not progressed to the coahlea...Bree and I DO reconize that there are cases where the implant is the only option....and even some cases where an aid works, but the person could hear more with the CI....there are still many severe and profounders out there who do just fine with primative analogs....and the thing is they are OBESSED with the CI....that's all they talk about, to the point where you wonder if you accidently wandered into an Asperger's Syndrome chatroom
The way some of these people talk, you'd think CIs are the 8th wonder of the world.
You're not kidding!

deafdyke said:
Yes, we're completely serious....they act like EVERYONE is a canidate for CI including people with otosceloris that has not progressed to the coahlea...Bree and I DO reconize that there are cases where the implant is the only option....and even some cases where an aid works, but the person could hear more with the CI....there are still many severe and profounders out there who do just fine with primative analogs....and the thing is they are OBESSED with the CI....that's all they talk about, to the point where you wonder if you accidently wandered into an Asperger's Syndrome chatroom
You're not kidding!

I swear to god one of them said CI's are the 8th world wonder. I SWEAR IT!!!!HE is really extreme, they'll go to any extent to push CI's on ppl and talk about it all the time. They have no lives. it's aweful. I know tons of ppl with HAs and it's not all we talk about, hell, it's not something i'd push on anyone with a hearing loss. As soon as you tell them you have a loss, they go, "Have you considered getting a CI?" I swear to god...one day they'll start coming to your door...

I know tons of ppl with HAs and it's not all we talk about, hell, it's not something i'd push on anyone with a hearing loss. As soon as you tell them you have a loss, they go, "Have you considered getting a CI?" I swear to god...one day they'll start coming to your door...
I know...I mean me and Naj were talking about how well we can hear with our Phonaks, but it's not the ONLY thing we talk about. It's like they belong to the Church of CItology.....
"Ding-dong.....":Hello! Have you heard the wonderful news? CI is here, CI, is the ANSEWER. CI saved me from the devil of deafness! Boohoo,hoo being dhh is just so horrid! " I wouldn't care if they promoted it in a reasoniable manner, like people coming in and saying that they have a progressive loss or they feel that their aids aren't enough any more.....but if you even mention that you have a loss....suddenly you're in Asperger's Syndrome Land!

deadyke and Breezy: I hope I never become one of "them." Thank goodness I have a life outside of my CI! Speaking of which, why don't these people *enjoy life* now that they can hear instead of spending all their time in chat rooms touting the CI? I bet if you asked some of these people to comment on current events, hobbies or any other topic outside of hearing loss, they'd probably be at a complete loss for words! :)

Hear Again, glad that this thread didn't raise any hackles. Gotta say I am IMPRESSED with how far the Deaf community and implantees have come.
I was really really afraid that some of the implantees here would have their hackles raised by this topic...I think that the implant community is slowly but surely accepting that the effectiveness of them, is very simlair to hearing aids. Some people can only hear enviromental noises with aids, ditto with CI. Some people can only hear a percentage of speech with aids, ditto with CI and so on and so on. I mean I remember reading that AG Bell thought that digital aids and those high frequncy transponders or high powered aids were going to be the ANSWER to get everyone talking.....look it's ten years lata!!!

Yeah me too, i'm impressed with how well this thread has gone without any arguments. I'm not saying that ppl with CI's are bad, or that CI's are bad altogether, but i know that CI's aren't for everyone, just like HA's aren't for everyone either. I greatly respect you for not pushing your views on anyone, and i know you feel the same. What i don't agree with is how these ppl are going about it, like, they spend all their time online talking about CI's this, CI's that, like fuck, get over it. And Hear Again i don't think you'll ever become one of them, don't worry, ha ha you're cool. And yeah the ppl at HE don't know shit all about what's going on in the world, other than who's getting a CI, who's being activated, which deaf schools are closing down, how Sign is bad and this and that. Like, get over it. These ppl have on lives and they need to be stopped! AHHH!!!!!! *runs*

You know I wonder if some of the regular chatters are simply shills or front-men for the CI corparations. I definitly don't deny that there are folks who love their implants, but some of the people there......iyiyi!!!!!!

Back