A hearing baby can learn sign language, why does it deny a Deaf baby from learning?

Oddball

Stay weird
Premium Member
Reaction score
This picture is coming from...moeart.com

http://www.moeart.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/babies.jpg

Now, can you tell me why can a hearing baby learn to communicate in sign language whereas forbid a Deaf baby from communicating in sign language? What is wrong with this picture? (Please keep in mind, I emphasize on parents of deaf children who are in denial).

Discuss it!

Attachments

• babies.jpg
    babies.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 21
Who stated this rule?

Nope. I want to bring this up because that's how I perceive this situation between a deaf baby and a hearing baby who are given sign language. I have seen some parents want their deaf babies to get "fixed." The babies are denied from learning other tools such as sign language added to their oral skills.

Some of hearing babies can access into anything included sign language from early on.

That's something I don't understand the difference between two.

(FYI, I am not a Deaf militant)

Long ago, my sister learned sign language at around 18 months old while I already know signing. She didn't talk until she was around two years old and I was only four years old. Now, today, I noticed many baby deafies don't take signing. That's sadden me. :(

Is just how society is, unfortunately. We can only try to educate who we can.

Many children who do things 'differently' because of 'disability' (nobody yell at me, I put the words in quotes...) are forced to do things another way. This used to be more common, even left handed babies forced to use their right hand... but this seems to be getting better. I'm not sure if it will ever completely go away, but the more we educate, the better it will become, I think.

because they are afraid that a deaf baby will be too depended on signing.. A hearing baby will learn to speak no matter what.

but yeah, they say "teach your baby to sign so she won't be frustrated"

Their "fears" are ungrounded and were disproven years ago.

The people who suggest signing for hearing babies are not the same ones who forbid signing for deaf babies.

I suppose.

Nope. I want to bring this up because that's how I perceive this situation between a deaf baby and a hearing baby who are given sign language. I have seen some parents want their deaf babies to get "fixed." The babies are denied from learning other tools such as sign language added to their oral skills.

Some of hearing babies can access into anything included sign language from early on.

That's something I don't understand the difference between two.

(FYI, I am not a Deaf militant)
Oh, ok. That's something I've never heard of. Everyone I know who is deaf with deaf kids usually sign to their deaf kids. Everyone I know who is hearing with deaf kids still learn sign language themselves while teaching their deaf kids sign language. (I guess it's because they know me?)

it look cruel to me sorry that is my POV

if i have deaf baby the baby will LEARN signs i don't give a fuck if people said i can't teach deaf baby
when i was little i start to learn to sign when i was 3 1/2 and my mom, my older sister did learn along with me and my brother did followed me too to learn sign when he was almost one year old since that my mom and my sister did learn signs.
now his daughter (my little niece) is learning to signs because of me he thought it will be cool if she can communicate with me, my brother always come to me for some help with signs.

i don't care how cruel the world is to deafies

My deaf sister was four when I came along. Our parents couldn't or wouldn't learn sign, so she taught me. All I remember is thinking it was the way of the world to speak to some and sign to others . . . and puzzle as to why everyone wasn't "programmed" that way.

My deaf sister was four when I came along. Our parents couldn't or wouldn't learn sign, so she taught me. All I remember is thinking it was the way of the world to speak to some and sign to others . . . and puzzle as to why everyone wasn't "programmed" that way.

Makes perfect sense. My son, for the longest time, did not see deaf as lack of auditory function and hearing as having auditory function. Tohim, the difference was that deaf signed and hearing spoke. In fact, I didn't realize it until I saw him tell another child, but he believed I was deaf because I signed. When he was about six, I saw him tell another kid that "Mommy deaf." I asked him later why he told his friend that and he reiterated, "Mommy deaf". I asked, "Believe mommy deaf, why?" His reply was, "Mommy sign, mommy deaf." I had no idea that he did not understand that I was hearing.

This picture is coming from...Maureen Klusza - illustration & design

http://www.moeart.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/babies.jpg

Now, can you tell me why can a hearing baby learn to communicate in sign language whereas forbid a Deaf baby from communicating in sign language? What is wrong with this picture? (Please keep in mind, I emphasize on parents of deaf children who are in denial).

Discuss it!
Children will learn the language of their parents first. Lately parents realize that babies can pick up signs quicker than speech, but I would not call that sign-language.
These babies (and their parents) will discontinue signs when the child starts communicating with speech.

So, "sign language" for hearing babies and sign language for deaf babies are not related.

Last edited by a moderator:
Children will learn the language of their parents first. Lately parents realize that babies can pick up signs quicker than speech, but I would not call that sign-language.
These babies (and their parents) will discontinue signs when the child starts communicating with speech.

So, "sign language" for hearing babies and signlanguage for deaf babies are not related.

Not all people discontinue sign because a child has developed some speech.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, ok. That's something I've never heard of. Everyone I know who is deaf with deaf kids usually sign to their deaf kids. Everyone I know who is hearing with deaf kids still learn sign language themselves while teaching their deaf kids sign language. (I guess it's because they know me?)

Excuse me for pointing out your post in 'Parents apathy in their deaf children's edcuational progress etc' (http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-educati...ld-s-educational-progress-etc.html#post922270) and the post (#25) is:

VamPryox said:
Some parents are like that. I know someone who recently had a deaf baby. Instead of actually accepting the fact that her baby is deaf, she always makes sure that the baby has his hearing aids on 24/7, exposes him to everything that's musical, tries to find information on why the baby is deaf so that she has something else to blame, does not use sign language (even though she knows sign language herself) to communicate a bit with the baby, etc. She's probably one of the worse mother-with-a-deaf-child that I've ever seen. Grr!

I remember this post because it really haunts me. By the way, is there any change in that deaf child's situtation????

Last edited:
Excuse me for pointing out your post in 'Parents apathy in their deaf children's edcuational progress etc' (http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-educati...ld-s-educational-progress-etc.html#post922270) and the post (#25) is:

I remember this post because it really haunts me. By the way, is there any change in that deaf child's situtation????
No changes yet. He's almost 11 months old. He's already crawling fast and very alert of his surroundings, but nothing related to communication.

Despite learning speech, I wish I had sign language growing up and I wish my parents learned it.

Back