A hearing baby can learn sign language, why does it deny a Deaf baby from learning?

Not all people discontinue sign because a child has developed some speech.

Before anyone jumps my case saying I didn't understand cloggy's post, those edits the mod did were to his post, not mine. Thanks!

Nope. I want to bring this up because that's how I perceive this situation between a deaf baby and a hearing baby who are given sign language. I have seen some parents want their deaf babies to get "fixed." The babies are denied from learning other tools such as sign language added to their oral skills.

Some of hearing babies can access into anything included sign language from early on.

That's something I don't understand the difference between two.

(FYI, I am not a Deaf militant)

Oddball: The hearing parents are not teaching a language. They are signing the "odd" word(s) in the voiced English sentence. That does not make it sign language, but voiced English with some visual cues.imo

Hearing parents of hearing babies do not concern themselves with signing as being their childs only form of communication.

jmo

Oddball: The hearing parents are not teaching a language. They are signing the "odd" word(s) in the voiced English sentence. That does not make it sign language, but voiced English with some visual cues.imo

Hearing parents of hearing babies do not concern themselves with signing as being their childs only form of communication.

jmo

Voiced English with some visual cues....you just described CS.

For a deaf child (or any child), when do they normally begin communicating?

A hearing child will normally say their first word at approximately 9-12 months. A baby who is exposed to sign will normally approximate the first formal sign at around 6 months. But even prior to that, they will begin attempts at communication by pointing objects that they want, reaching up when they want to be held, or by babbling in psuedo-conversations with their caregivers.

When signing to my daughter we were limited to a small vocabulary of signs, and no grammar. I never had the feeling I was teaching sign-language. When signing and speaking, only the grammar of speech was used of course.

I wish CS had been available to us.... speaking and adding signs/cues that are within context would have been great!

A hearing child will normally say their first word at approximately 9-12 months. A baby who is exposed to sign will normally approximate the first formal sign at around 6 months. But even prior to that, they will begin attempts at communication by pointing objects that they want, reaching up when they want to be held, or by babbling in psuedo-conversations with their caregivers.
He's 11 months and only babbling nonsense. He doesn't point at anything he wants nor does he understand what he wants. :dunno:

When signing to my daughter we were limited to a small vocabulary of signs, and no grammar. I never had the feeling I was teaching sign-language. When signing and speaking, only the grammar of speech was used of course.

I wish CS had been available to us.... speaking and adding signs/cues that are within context would have been great!

cloggy - CI and CS work well together. The bonus, imo, being that CS is providing clarification of the sounds.

Typical of an oralist philosophy. Why is it that you didn't take the time to learn and provide a proper model of sign language for your daughter?

He's 11 months and only babbling nonsense. He doesn't point at anything he wants nor does he understand what he wants. :dunno:

He seriously needs to be exposed to some ASL. At this point, he simply has no idea what language is or what its purpose is because he has not had the exposure and feedback necessary. He is in for some serious delays that are going to affect him not just linguistically, but cognitively as well.

cloggy - CI and CS work well together. The bonus, imo, being that CS is providing clarification of the sounds.

I believe the topic of the thread is sign language, not CS. And its application to hearing and deaf children, not just children with CI. Let's get back on topic.

His mother knows sign language. Does she signs with you? How about other deaf friends? Does that means she refuses to sign in front of him and only when he is not in the room???

Nope. I want to bring this up because that's how I perceive this situation between a deaf baby and a hearing baby who are given sign language. I have seen some parents want their deaf babies to get "fixed." The babies are denied from learning other tools such as sign language added to their oral skills.

Some of hearing babies can access into anything included sign language from early on.

That's something I don't understand the difference between two.

(FYI, I am not a Deaf militant)
I think hearing parents, who are not part of the Deaf community, teach their hearing children sign language because they view it as something to make their life more convenient until their children learn to speak. (I wonder if there are any statistics that show the percentage of parents that stop using signs with hearing children once they begin to speak and the ones that continue.)

However, when hearing parents have Deaf children they do not have this option.

I think it comes down to awareness. Hearing people need to know more about the Deaf culture, not only when they have Deaf children, but well before.

Cheers.

He seriously needs to be exposed to some ASL. At this point, he simply has no idea what language is or what its purpose is because he has not had the exposure and feedback necessary. He is in for some serious delays that are going to affect him not just linguistically, but cognitively as well.
He is involved in an early intervention program. There's a woman or two who comes from a local university that comes to observe and help. He only wears his hearing aids during these 1-hour sessions. She still denies that he's deaf and still refuses to use sign language with him.

His mother knows sign language. Does she signs with you? How about other deaf friends? Does that means she refuses to sign in front of him and only when he is not in the room???
She refuses to sign anywhere. She practically hates deaf people.

She's hearing. She never signs with me. She never signs with any other deaf people. She doesn't sign anywhere or with anyone.

He is involved in an early intervention program. There's a woman or two who comes from a local university that comes to observe and help. He only wears his hearing aids during these 1-hour sessions. She still denies that he's deaf and still refuses to use sign language with him.

That's a sad, sad situation, Vampy. One hour of early intervention is not going to make up for the other 18 hours a day, 7 days a week that he is not receiving language. This woman, unfortunately, sounds like the one creating a handicap for her son through her refusal to recognize and deal with his deafness. She is in need of a wake-up call.

That's a sad, sad situation, Vampy. One hour of early intervention is not going to make up for the other 18 hours a day, 7 days a week that he is not receiving language. This woman, unfortunately, sounds like the one creating a handicap for her son through her refusal to recognize and deal with his deafness. She is in need of a wake-up call.

It sounds like the mom needs to go get herself some help. Her denial of the situation not only keeps her from dealing effectively (and that is bad enough) but denying her kid any sort of communication is just majorly f___ed up. Does she think he's magically going to start hearing or learn to read lips?

Originally Posted by Cloggy

posted by Jillio;
Typical of an oralist philosophy. Why is it that you didn't take the time to learn and provide a proper model of sign language for your daughter?

its not just typically oralist, its also Disablist !!, they [hearies=abled bodied - they are the same to me] seem to have an innate hatred for differences, also tend to catergorise that difference as a class of lesser beings.
Disgusting arrogance be nice if say a 100 hearies went Deaf (say becuase of an botched top secret military experiement took place nearby causing this damage) for a whole year or maybe for good (1 day is not enough) and see how you'd like it, with all this language oppression you are banging for in the name of 'education'. They'd even realise the flawness in the welfare, rehabilitattion system, all the same they would be in a huge shock. this sort of scenario would be fantastic, oh not to mention some of them would probably kill themself which i dont care after all they realised what an asshole they were (or not). like i care.

Back