A film about a deaf person

Thanks for this post, TheWriteAlex - it's very informative, and you've drawn my attention to things that I would never have identified on my own.

You're welcome, and this is not the only issue that should be closely examined when making a film about a deaf character. Please be very careful and scrupulous during your research. The last thing we need is another film that misrepresents the Deaf.

Good reason to have deaf film makers, or at least pay a Deaf advisor.

Hume Cronin?

My fee is 25$ an hour, FYI :cool2:

You're welcome, and this is not the only issue that should be closely examined when making a film about a deaf character. Please be very careful and scrupulous during your research. The last thing we need is another film that misrepresents the Deaf.

My fee is 25$ an hour, FYI :cool2:

25 bucks an hour?

Hume, you get what you pay for ;)

oh? so are you fluent in ASL and well-known in deaf community?

Srs_Cat.jpg

here's an idea. Far to many movies have deaf actors and actresses who can speak very well or well enough for an average hearing person, and its often the same 3 or four actors and actresses getting the parts. When using several deaf actors find some who speech is more like that of Luke Adams, not just like that of Anthony Natale. Also have a person who doesn't speak become successful, and show how they communicate with those who don't sign, but don't make the communication the object of the movie. In other words make a good story where the person just happens to be deaf. Show how video phones, blackberry's, iphones, pen and paper all work as successful communication devices when someone doesn't know asl. Also just caption the sign language don't dubb it with a voice over. Stay away from having any actors with a CI, as this will just reinforce stereotypes.

here's an idea. Far to many movies have deaf actors and actresses who can speak very well or well enough for an average hearing person, and its often the same 3 or four actors and actresses getting the parts. When using several deaf actors find some who speech is more like that of Luke Adams, not just like that of Anthony Natale. Also have a person who doesn't speak become successful, and show how they communicate with those who don't sign, but don't make the communication the object of the movie. In other words make a good story where the person just happens to be deaf. Show how video phones, blackberry's, iphones, pen and paper all work as successful communication devices when someone doesn't know asl. Also just caption the sign language don't dubb it with a voice over. Stay away from having any actors with a CI, as this will just reinforce stereotypes.

What stereotype does it reinforce?

see Post #31

Just simply having a CI actor does not reinforce any stereotype, especially the one you're referencing above. A person can be a fluent signer and member of the Deaf community and still have a CI, and a movie can accurately show that. In fact, using a CI actor who signs would actually help to BREAK stereotypes. Hearies often think that a CI = cure for deafness. To see a deaf person with a CI still using, gasp!, ASL would be a welcome shock to their perspective.

Just simply having a CI actor does not reinforce any stereotype, especially the one you're referencing above. A person can be a fluent signer and member of the Deaf community and still have a CI, and a movie can accurately show that. In fact, using a CI actor who signs would actually help to BREAK stereotypes. Hearies often think that a CI = cure for deafness. To see a deaf person with a CI still using, gasp!, ASL would be a welcome shock to their perspective.

You think I didn't know that? How many hearies will know that??

I have to side with him. No need to market CI's

I beg to differ. CI reinforces the stereotype that the deaf needs to hear and it gives a false illusion that a deaf person's quality of life can be greatly improved by being in both hearing and deaf worlds fluently.

wonder how many CI people are like that.... :hmm:

You think I didn't know that? How many hearies will know that??

I have to side with him. No need to market CI's

I guess you stopped reading halfway through my post? It's for precisely this reason that we need accurate portrayals of CIs and ALL issues related to deafness in films that will reach a hearing audience. By censoring CIs in a film just simply because it is a CI, you are missing a great opportunity to educate. And when you do that, you leave open the door for such wonderfully enlightening films on CIs like Sound and Fury. That was a great one, wasn't it? :roll:

I beg to differ. CI reinforces the stereotype that the deaf needs to hear and it gives a false illusion that a deaf person's quality of life can be greatly improved by being in both hearing and deaf worlds fluently.

wonder how many CI people are like that.... :hmm:

It all depends on the filmmaker's depiction of the CI. Couldn't the CI character easily have a difficult time understanding voices? Wouldn't such a depiction give the audience a different perspective than the one you suggest?

Back