A deaf girl aged 7 dies by cochlear implant.

you nailed it! i was gonna say something like this :thumb:

i got a forwarded email from a friend from someone (not naming names)... but they went on and on about how CI was deadly because of the girl (sigh)... and REFUSE TO GET CI and ARE AGAINST CI because of what happened to the little girl! AND even tried to force me and others to BELIEVE IT to get on their "side"!!??? :ugh:... they obviously DIDN'T READ CAREFULLY like i have been trying to emphasize all along about them "jumping to conculsions with reading carefully or understanding/getting the real facts"...

the title of the threat says it all as what i have been trying to say... :|

There will always people who are against CIs and will use whatever means to try to get people to turn against CIs and there will always be people who support CIs. I got the same email too from my friend and she told me that a group of deafies are going to form a committee to educate people about the dangers of CIs.

I wont get a CI cuz I dont like the idea of surgery but that is my own personal choice and I dont need one as of now. Maybe in the future I will. I wish CIs come without surgery and then I could be more comfortable with wearing it.

Where did it say that the girl died from the CI? Most of the other ADers posts were about the vacinne and why did the dr go ahead with the surgery without proof of immunization. I dont recall seeing anyone posting a thread saying that the girl died from the CI unless u were referring to the title of the thread?

that is understandable.. if you can hear sounds and words.. why not check out micro savia by phonek??? i heard they are supposed to be EXCELLENT... in fact a friend of mine just got them and can hear like a hearing person (can make out sounds and even UNDERSTAND WORDS!!! that he never did before with his old HAs/digital HAs-- he pondered about CI until he got these new HAs recently)... so you have an option here girl! :) <<< SORRY IT IS OFF TOPIC!!! :D

just like lilysdad pointed out, check the title of the thread... plus i got emails from people regarding this... which is why i mentioned it ...

I consider myself extremely lucky. Another hour or so without the antibiotics, and I would not be here. I was rushed to the ER via ambulance, which might have also saved my life - for if you arrive via ambulance, you take priority over other emergency room patients. It's serious stuff.

Well, let's think...(this was years ago so bear with me if I seem a bit off...)...the initial implant was April of 2002. I went for the checkup (with the CI surgeon) in beginning of May to check scar, etc, make sure everything was healing well. So I'd have to say perhaps May or June of 2002 was when I had the vaccine. I came down with meningitis on January 12, 2004.

it is funny how the meningitis turned up months after your CI... but yes, you are extremely lucky that everyone moved fast to tend to you when you first got meningitis!!! a friend of mine almost died from it too.. (she is hearing)... sheesh! it is really scary!!!

Yeah you sure were lucky, Malfoyish. I've seen pictures of what that disease can do and it's not pretty.

I plan to get shots to prevent this from happening to me.

Either that, or the vaccine was what bought me a little more time when it all went down. No idea - I didn't ponder it too much, for the whole thing was crazy enough as it was.

No - my CI was still effective. However, my surgeon/CI Team decided to remove it and re-implant without the use of a spacer - (and while they were at it, provide me with an upgraded model) so they would further reduce the risk of a second bout of meningitis.

I've been here a while, I kind of stay out of CI threads most of the time though. :) I saw this one though, and HAD to add a little something, LOL.

It just dawned on me that you had one of those older AB models with the positioner that has been linked to meningitis. Thank goodness they haven't made them since 2002. So yep, I agree the vaccine might have actually have made the difference between life and death for you.

It must have been quite an ordeal for you to have it taken out and then replaced with a new model.

And it's very wise for you to stay out of CI threads - they do go around in circles a bit don't they? :giggle:

it is funny how the meningitis turned up months after your CI... but yes, you are extremely lucky that everyone moved fast to tend to you when you first got meningitis!!! a friend of mine almost died from it too.. (she is hearing)... sheesh! it is really scary!!!

One of the sucky things about meningitis is - ANYONE can get it. The CI (or at least the model that I had) just increased the risk in my case. What might have happened (they're not sure, it's just a theory) is - I had strep throat, didn't know about it...the infection "traveled" and ended up building up bacteria in that pocket being created by the positioner. But yeah, it's scary...I didn't know what the hell was happening to me - I woke up that morning feeling "a little off..." (Had been sick over the weekend and felt that I might be getting over it)...then around 3-4pm in the afternoon, my ears started ringing, I started getting nauseous, dizzy...couldn't walk straight, passed out in the bathroom (this part I don't remember...my stepson called my husband to tell him I "fell asleep in the bathroom") and my eyes were moving involuntarily. Couldn't control 'em!

I am glad your friend recovered, though!!!! Thank Merlin.

Yeah you sure were lucky, Malfoyish. I've seen pictures of what that disease can do and it's not pretty.

I plan to get shots to prevent this from happening to me.

Good idea. :) I wish you all the luck in the world if you're on your way to becoming implanted!

It just dawned on me that you had one of those older AB models with the positioner that has been linked to meningitis. Thank goodness they haven't made them since 2002. So yep, I agree the vaccine might have actually have made the difference between life and death for you.

It must have been quite an ordeal for you to have it taken out and then replaced with a new model.

And it's very wise for you to stay out of CI threads - they do go around in circles a bit don't they? :giggle:

AYEP. LOL. You say one thing, someone else "decides" that you said something else, which you never would have insinuated in the first place, so you defend yourself. More things are said and "assumed," and a lit match becomes a forest fire, so to speak. I have made it clear that the whole meningitis episode has somewhat altered my perception of CI's in general, MOSTLY because it was an ambiguous choice in the first place. I am not against, nor am I a major advocate. However, I DO insist that those of you who are implanted or are considering implantation are doing it because they WANT to and they're 100 percent sure about it - and that they're well aware of the risks, vaccine or not. :)

As for the re-implanting - I do have to admit that doing the whole thing again made me nervous...but they insisted on it because they wanted to remove the positioner. Seemed like a small price to pay not to have a risk of enduring meningitis again - at least for a reason relating to my CI.

Last edited:
But the thing I don't get it is how did the child get into school without being vaccinated?? as it's a mandatory here to be vaccinated before pre-k... this child is 7 years old... it doesn't make sense at all.. and also the doctor did a poor job as well not checking to see if she's been vaccinated as it should be in her records... still it doesn't make sense, that just me...

Yes. Exactly. I was wondering about that. Maybe, the school made an exception in this case. I don't know. Either way, it is sad that this girl died.

Me either :( Doctors should have asked anyway, if she has been vaccinated or not, before going ahead with the surgery, that's what I think it should had been done this way.

I would think that doctors are always thinking of making money. The more they implant people, the more cars they collect to put in their garage. They are just thinking of money not for the welfare of the patients.

It shows that the mother neglected to follow up and have her vaccinated. But went ahead with the surgery. Oh well...

I am sure that I will get some flak due to my comments.:cool:

I would think that doctors are always thinking of making money. The more they implant people, the more cars they collect to put in their garage. They are just thinking of money not for the welfare of the patients.

No flak. I am interested in factual truth and wonder if you have anything to back your opinions. Can you prove that doctors make a lot of money out of their patients?

I am prepared to give you a link to a study that shows that doctors and hospitals actually lose money by giving a patient a CI.

All doctors?!? I don't think so...doctors are human like everybody else and they put on their pants like everybody else. I agree that some are think of padding their wallet but I sure don't believe that for all doctors.

One of the sucky things about meningitis is - ANYONE can get it. The CI (or at least the model that I had) just increased the risk in my case. What might have happened (they're not sure, it's just a theory) is - I had strep throat, didn't know about it...the infection "traveled" and ended up building up bacteria in that pocket being created by the positioner. But yeah, it's scary...I didn't know what the hell was happening to me - I woke up that morning feeling "a little off..." (Had been sick over the weekend and felt that I might be getting over it)...then around 3-4pm in the afternoon, my ears started ringing, I started getting nauseous, dizzy...couldn't walk straight, passed out in the bathroom (this part I don't remember...my stepson called my husband to tell him I "fell asleep in the bathroom") and my eyes were moving involuntarily. Couldn't control 'em!

wow!!! a young kid was quick enough to use his judgement to call your husband! sheesh... had he not done this, who the heck knows what the results would have ended up as? how old is your stepson by the way? :)

It shows that the mother neglected to follow up and have her vaccinated. But went ahead with the surgery. Oh well...

i have to disagree with you on this!

i don't believe all doctors are always thinking of $$$??
i know many of them- who TRULY CARE ABOUT THEIR PATIENTS AND THE PATIENTS' WELL-BEING!

like my doctor at northwestern for instance... i think he is one of the most caring doctors i have ever met! (i am sure he makes a great living but he does his job and knows it very well too! everyone loves him!) compared to the one i had at yale! :rl:

my uncles are doctors... one of them is ob/gyn... everytime i go to his office... all the nurses, other doctors, secretaries always tell me how wonderful he is and how much he is loved by them and the patients too ...

they are doctors because THEY WANT TO HELP PEOPLE... other than making a great living! ya know??? :)

it is VERY UNFORTUNATE that the mother of the deceased little girl didn't take responsiblity to get her vaccinated! (she forgot? sheesh)
i got my vaccination as soon as there was an appt open at the office and i went for it AS FAST AS I COULD so i wouldn't forget or worry about getting it, etc...

If its true, their doctor licence would be cancelled, and charge them for a fraud, or the police would be interested to chase them!!!

Everyone needs money for a living, their jobs is risky and more qualified, they deserved more $.

Come on!!

Everyone needs money for a living, their jobs is risky and more qualified, they deserved more $.

Come on!!

Yep - the insurance to cover litigation costs alone is horrendous. My ob/gyn from when I had my daughter got charged $120,000 per year so just he could practice!

No wonder my dad used to complain about the high cost of malpractice insurance.

the deaf girl make danger too young that for coclhear implants , the parent 's did'nt know tech her daughter some CI that but the deaf girl must best hearing aids this easy and the deaf girl have very danger her big headaches that why and their her parents are did'nt know wrong way CI .... their have be best hearingaid 7yearsold deaf girl thankya aussielady

My daughter had a cochlear implant last week, and I just noticed something today on the discharge paperwork from the hospital. There was a section about the meningitis vaccine and it stated that Victoria received the vaccine in 2006. I don't think the hospital would have allowed surgery without the vaccine, even if the doctor or myself overlooked it. Our hospital is in New York City, which is known for the best of everything, but I would think even a small hospital should pick up the fact that someone was missing the vaccine. I don't recall where this little girl was from, for all I know it was a large well known hospital.

What a sad thing to happen. Regardless of who's fault, I feel bad for the family.

I agree some doctors try to make more $$ off their patients but don't forget that HMOs and other medical insurances and big pharmacies companies are making HUGE profits off the patients. So its a whole lot of folks sucking all the $$ out of the whole medical system. That sucks.

Back