A deaf girl aged 7 dies by cochlear implant.

Chicken pox (varicella) stays dominant in the body. You can get shingles later, which is very painful. Shingles consists of painful skin lesions and malaise. If the shingles occurs your head, it's called Ramsey Hunt Syndrome, which causes hearing loss.

Oops! Should have read this before I replied.:giggle: I have had both chicken pox and shingles.

oh! so sad about the little girl!

:hmm: I know someone - an older person - who has shingles recently and she was in much pain. I didn't know much about it before.

I was exposed to chicken pox specifically many years ago - where my friend and I had a sleep-over and we slept in same bed. Both about 9 or so - she woke up with chicken pox and I was sent home. Her little sister later got it. My mom called the doc. about it in relation to me but I don't know what was said. But I never - so far as I know - ended up with it. I don't remember being sick and I had a lotta of ear and cold infections as a kid.

I think that you can reduce your chances of shingles if you get the vaccine. Does anyone know? It's older people who are most at risk for shingles.

I think that you can reduce your chances of shingles if you get the vaccine. Does anyone know? It's older people who are most at risk for shingles.

My daughter just told me that it does not. She had found that out when she had her daughter vaccinated, as she thought that would be the case also.

I am a Cochlear Implant candiate since 2005, I have read some of these stories, somehow these stories are true since I have meet many different deaf people in different state. First of all I like the cochlear implants but the other hand nope, I have a lot of disadvantage in my future sake. First of all you are not allow to have any MRI flat period due to high voltage, which of course when you have your MRI your implant will totally be destroy, second your brain will be attach to the metal devices inside the machine ( which that is a scary thought) 3rd a 7 year old boy who had a CI has an heart attack and they use the fib and shocked him and it went up to his brain totally fried his brain out. Pronounce dead. The paramedic were baffled and so was the team of the er deptment as well. I am seriously thinking of removing mine in the future cause of your health will go down by the time you are in prime time 50's as you will be
ask to take mri for your medical issue then what ( need to be diagnosis cancer ) or other serious medical issue. I do not believe in forcing an baby or a child to have an CI
its a very dangerous position to be in . It doesn't matter what age of this child you should consider to wait until they reach by the time they are 12 years old let them make their own decision whether to have a CI or not. No hearing parent should force an child to get one. I agree with the other deaf members as well

........ one can get an MRI even with an implant, they just need to have the magnet removed from the internal device and the MRI telsa has to be 1.5, no higher. the electrode is only inside the inner ear (cochlea), it doesn't even touch the brain, the internal implant does not touch the brain at all. .......

Oh I want know too! Three times this year I have shingles. If I never get again, that oky me!!!!!

Yes there is a shingles vaccine but only for people over 60. My sister has had shingles and looked into it. She had them on her eye, oh I felt so badly for her! I wouldn't wish that on anyone!

I have always been told that if you had the chicken pox as a child that you will have shingles as an adult.

But really, I think it's random as to who has shingles and who doesn't. Kind of like, who will get severe migraines, and who doesn't. I don't think anyone can say absolutely for sure who will get the shingles.

As for the OP, the meningitis was the cause of death, not the CI itself. I agree that the doctor should have informed them to ensure that she is vaccinated, but it's also a parents responsibility to ask questions and doing thorough research on major decisions such as this.

I can remember the uproar re possibility of getting meningitis before my Implant operation in July 07. Got vaccinated forthwith-no problem.

I am a Cochlear Implant candiate since 2005, I have read some of these stories, somehow these stories are true since I have meet many different deaf people in different state. First of all I like the cochlear implants but the other hand nope, I have a lot of disadvantage in my future sake. First of all you are not allow to have any MRI flat period due to high voltage, which of course when you have your MRI your implant will totally be destroy, second your brain will be attach to the metal devices inside the machine ( which that is a scary thought) 3rd a 7 year old boy who had a CI has an heart attack and they use the fib and shocked him and it went up to his brain totally fried his brain out. Pronounce dead. The paramedic were baffled and so was the team of the er deptment as well. I am seriously thinking of removing mine in the future cause of your health will go down by the time you are in prime time 50's as you will be
ask to take mri for your medical issue then what ( need to be diagnosis cancer ) or other serious medical issue. I do not believe in forcing an baby or a child to have an CI
its a very dangerous position to be in . It doesn't matter what age of this child you should consider to wait until they reach by the time they are 12 years old let them make their own decision whether to have a CI or not. No hearing parent should force an child to get one. I agree with the other deaf members as well

Thank You for your experience share with us !! I wish FDA would listen your concern to update in the database for other the parents s view other side instead of listen to the professional medication. :roll:

Back