A deaf girl aged 7 dies by cochlear implant.

Yeah I agree but do you think the parents may have a case even it was partly their fault too?....:::curious:::

I think there is definitely a case in civil court. It will come down to who the buck stops with. For example, I have 3 kids in school. The school district does not allow a parent to simply state that a child had the required shots. It has to be on a doctor's stationary and signed.

Also, isn't it required by the FDA that a CI candidate must get a meningitis shot before surgery?

I think there is definitely a case in civil court. It will come down to who the buck stops with. For example, I have 3 kids in school. The school district does not allow a parent to simply state that a child had the required shots. It has to be on a doctor's stationary and signed.

Also, isn't it required by the FDA that a CI candidate must get a meningitis shot before surgery?
No, it was not mandated by FDA. FDA and CDC recommended to get one. Just recommendation.

Yes, I'm agree with you on this.

I can't understand why the doctor agree to have CI surgery without the proof of vaccinated pass.

Both above(canuck.. and Liebling), one of my daughter's students doesnt have her immunization record, her parent doesn't believe in immunization. She is still going to school, just fine, it's their religion or belief :cool:

good point vaccine before CI surgery!

By the way, I wish, FDA change a new law to let the children make their own decision when they become older enough. Instead of 18 mos old to get them implants. :pissed:

:werd:

Me either :( Doctors should have asked anyway, if she has been vaccinated or not, before going ahead with the surgery, that's what I think it should had been done this way.

Just my opinion--but the doctor should have refused to do the surgery without proof of the vaccination.

Is that a new ruling? Here in Australia people too have to show proof of vaccination before enrolling in school but those who don't because they don't believe in it can claim conscience objection. That means their kids can still go to school but if an outbreak happened in the community then those kids will get sent home immediately.

There are certain exceptions here in the states. For instance, if the parents belong to a religious sect that refuses medical treatment, and there are those fundamental sects out there-the child can be admitted to school withou being vaccinated. But there has to be proof of long standing membership to that particular sect. And if it is deemed a threat to the well being of others for the child to not receive vaccination, the court system can order the child to receive the shots.

it is very tragic. She was too young to be gone...I hope the parents of deaf children will resist to have their child to receive cochlear implant and lets go back to old deaf world again and do not let deaf people to be exctint. Deaf people need to identify themselves, not CI and i feel sorry for them bec they dont know who they are, deaf or hearing which is not right.

The reality is that there will always be some kind of medical invention to try to eliminate deafness and the parents will go for it. That's reality. Oh well.

This is very unfortunate for the parents and I feel sorry for them. I don't see this as a place to point blame but rather to raise the issue and concern for those getting ready to go under the knife for any operation. Use the stories you read about to prepare yourself for the best possible out come with anything you do.

The vaccination prior to CI surgery is not required by any law, hospital, doctor or insurance company at least where I live. It was strongly recommended and communicated many times but was NOT required when I received my CI this past December. I also tried and tried to get the shot but it wasn't until I was in the operating room did I finally get the vaccination and hoped it wasn't to late but I had to remember and ask for it. I made the choice to get the shot and it was MY responsibility to make sure I got it. Responsibility lies with each and every one of us and with those caregivers of those who can't make decissions for themselves both young or old or for those who are just incapable of doing for themselves.

It is also a LAW to wear your seat belt. How many do? If you die because you smashed your head against the windshield and were not wearing your seatbelt or if you break a leg sking down a mountain, I'm sorry but it's called life and there is no one to blame. These are choices we all make each and every day. If you are afraid of the outcome because of the choices you make, get yourself out of the situation so you don't have to make a choice. No one can predict the future to any real degree of accuracy. If we could, someone would get jellous, come along and screw it up just to make us mad.

Again, instead of pointing blame here, what can we learn from it?

I knew an article like this was bound to appear. But of course this is the worst possible forum to post it in.

As they say: prevention is the best cure. I think in the future parents should make sure that their child get the proper shots and that doctors should refuse to operate on the child till they get a record of the child's shots.

This also applies to adults.

I don't believe the CI is responsible for her death, because my 6 weeks old baby niece never had this CI, died from bacterial meningistis too - come on!!!

This is very unfortunate for the parents and I feel sorry for them. I don't see this as a place to point blame but rather to raise the issue and concern for those getting ready to go under the knife for any operation. Use the stories you read about to prepare yourself for the best possible out come with anything you do.

The vaccination prior to CI surgery is not required by any law, hospital, doctor or insurance company at least where I live. It was strongly recommended and communicated many times but was NOT required when I received my CI this past December. I also tried and tried to get the shot but it wasn't until I was in the operating room did I finally get the vaccination and hoped it wasn't to late but I had to remember and ask for it. I made the choice to get the shot and it was MY responsibility to make sure I got it. Responsibility lies with each and every one of us and with those caregivers of those who can't make decissions for themselves both young or old or for those who are just incapable of doing for themselves.

It is also a LAW to wear your seat belt. How many do? If you die because you smashed your head against the windshield and were not wearing your seatbelt or if you break a leg sking down a mountain, I'm sorry but it's called life and there is no one to blame. These are choices we all make each and every day. If you are afraid of the outcome because of the choices you make, get yourself out of the situation so you don't have to make a choice. No one can predict the future to any real degree of accuracy. If we could, someone would get jellous, come along and screw it up just to make us mad.

Again, instead of pointing blame here, what can we learn from it?

Yea, I agree! Life is not a cakewalk. Never was and never will be. Deciding not to make a choice can be as bad as making a choice. In either case, a choice has been made!!! Pick your poison.

If one is that afraid to make choices, find a hole in the ground, get buried, and be done with it!

But the thing I don't get it is how did the child get into school without being vaccinated?? as it's a mandatory here to be vaccinated before pre-k... this child is 7 years old... it doesn't make sense at all.. and also the doctor did a poor job as well not checking to see if she's been vaccinated as it should be in her records... still it doesn't make sense, that just me...
Hmm... odd.

I went deaf from bacterial meningitis back in 1981 - it can happen to anyone. Hopefully people WILL learn from this- and any type of surgery on the head that is even moderately invasive will require a vaccination, like I was required to show before I had my CI implanted.

From my view, I don't think Cochlear Implants killed her. It's Bacterial Meningitis. It killed her. But it's sad to hear it.

From my view, I don't think Cochlear Implants killed her. It's Bacterial Meningitis. It killed her. But it's sad to hear it.

Absoultely right, look at my 6 weeks old baby niece died from Bacterial Meningitis, and she never had this CI operation!!!

Apparently many children going for cochlear implants are already predisposed toward getting meningitis anyway, whether or not they had a CI due to the nature of their ear conditions.

I looked at the FDA website and they said that in the recent study 32 out of 4,264 children developed meningitis over 4 years after their implant. I did a calculation and worked out that this represents 0.75% - which is a small percentage - not even 1%. Most of those children had implants with a positioner in it that hasn't been manufactured since 2002 so the actual risk of getting meningitis with a modern implant is probably even lower.

Judging from the data that you've given us R2D2, I'd say that the chances of contracting meningitis via CI is negligible. In other words, it's highly unlikely that you could get meningitis via implants.

I'm sure the parents wish they had gotten those shots to prevent this.

Back