A deaf girl aged 7 dies by cochlear implant.

Well all I'll say is, I believe it...the same thing happened to me.

I was vaccinated AFTER my implant, (before they were so adamant about vaccines) but ended up with a bout of bacterial meningitis ANYWAY. I posted something about it in 2004 when I joined AllDeaf. Those of you interested can refresh your memories here:

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...-cochlear-implants-meningitis.html#post159427

refresh my jog memory.. Yes actually you did move quicker and get vaccines but The parent/doctor have not gone for the Deaf Child yet... until *poofed she is passed away* OppiSe She has not get vaccines! That sad!
Have they gone vaccines before surgery or later whatever depend the case.. SHOULD HAVE CHECKED VACCINE RECORD.. prior first before proceed.

Oh shucks, I wish I'm not here today before I born this thread!
:ugh3:

I was vaccinated AFTER my implant, (before they were so adamant about vaccines) but ended up with a bout of bacterial meningitis ANYWAY. I posted something about it in 2004 when I joined AllDeaf. Those of you interested can refresh your memories here:

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...-cochlear-implants-meningitis.html#post159427

you were very lucky to have survived it! yikesss!!!

an old hearing friend of mine got meningitis when she was in her early 20's ---almost died from it! AND SHE IS HEARING!!! so i wish deafies would stop spreading false information :squint: AND fabricating them WITHOUT READING CAREFULLY! UNLESS they don't know HOW TO READ!!??? :dunno: most deafies have a tendency to do something like this without getting "the real facts!" :ugh:

so i wish deafies would stop spreading false information :squint: AND fabricating them WITHOUT READING CAREFULLY! UNLESS they don't know HOW TO READ!!??? :dunno: most deafies have a tendency to do something like this without getting "the real facts!" :ugh:

True but don't you think it goes both ways where the doctors should make sure that their patients do get their vaccine shots first before making arrangement on surgery?...

And.....

I'm confused on the part where you said " spreading false information " in which part do you meant by that?...

SHOULD HAVE CHECKED VACCINE RECORD.. prior first before proceed.

:werd: I totally agree, I'm just speechless to know that a few doctors hasn't done their part on double checking their patient's shot record before going ahead with the surgery....

True but don't you think it goes both ways where the doctors should make sure that their patients do get their vaccine shots first before making arrangement on surgery?...

And.....

I'm confused on the part where you said " spreading false information " in which part do you meant by that? ...

of course i agree that the patients should always follow the doctor's order to get vaccinated prior to the surgery! i followed his orders otherwise he wouldn't have done my surgery... ( i already posted about this in an earlier thread :) )

oh what i meant was that, some deafies said "SEE THAT IS WHY I AM AGAINST CI, CUZ SHE DIED! cuz it was a brain surgery, near the brain, etc... blah blah!!! they obviously didn't read CAREFULLY before JUMPING THE GUN... to why she died! getting implanted wasn't the cause of her death... it was due NOT GETTING VACCINATED...

as her mother said that she forgot.... YIKESS! but of course it is the doctor's responsibility to double check to see if the child/patient recieved a vaccination! apparently, he probably made an DEADLY ASSUMPTION and proceeded with the implant without double checking with the parents and getting a documentation to prove it too! :pissed: (so at this point, both parties are at fault unfortunately :( )

Ah I understand what you mean now, Thank you FC,

IMO, theres a lot of risks involved in surgery, of course people gonna to have an opinion based on what they hear or read, and some would say " I'm not going to have a heart surgery since I heard someone die from it etc " it's the same thing, I think it more of having a fear of going thru a surgery whether it's CI implant, heart implant, etc etc ya know....That's very common hearing it coming from people that don't like to go through these type of surgeries...

How soon after the vaccine did you get the meningitis? When I was doing my research into vaccines I discovered that in some cases you can actually get the disease from the vaccine itself, although a milder form than the full blown disease. This is why some of my friends are against vaccines. Vaccines are effectively the virus in a deactivated form injected into you.

Also vaccines do not have 100% efficacy - in other words they will not work on every single person that has been vaccinated - only at best 90-95%. So that means that there will always be a small percentage of the population who will still get the disease anyway despite having been vaccinated. Still 90% is better than 0%.

Ah I understand what you mean now, Thank you FC,

IMO, theres a lot of risks involved in surgery, of course people gonna to have an opinion based on what they hear or read, and some would say " I'm not going to have a heart surgery since I heard someone die from it etc " it's the same thing, I think it more of having a fear of going thru a surgery whether it's CI implant, heart implant, etc etc ya know....That's very common hearing it coming from people that don't like to go through these type of surgeries...

yes i understand... but EVERY SURGERY has risks regardless how minor or major it is... if you get my drift... i know how some of them "think"... they just jump the gun...especially with the issue about the CI... just from my experience... that's all :)

yes i understand... but EVERY SURGERY has risks regardless how minor or major it is... if you get my drift... i know how some of them "think"... they just jump the gun...especially with the issue about the CI... just from my experience... that's all :)

I wont get a CI cuz I dont like the idea of surgery but that is my own personal choice and I dont need one as of now. Maybe in the future I will. I wish CIs come without surgery and then I could be more comfortable with wearing it.

Where did it say that the girl died from the CI? Most of the other ADers posts were about the vacinne and why did the dr go ahead with the surgery without proof of immunization. I dont recall seeing anyone posting a thread saying that the girl died from the CI unless u were referring to the title of the thread?

Wow, something like 54 threads before the anti CI comments started. Im impresed actually. Or was it intentional?
THE CI WAS NOT/IS NOT THE ISSUE. The fact that the parents failed in vaccinating the kid. Period. As soemone else posted here. "It is just a matter of time before something like this happens" Considering the source of that statement, I am also suprised. Some here make it seems like the CI is more dangerous than the plague. However, when someone finally finds a current case of a ci RELATED death, it turns out that the cause of death is caused by a lack of parental responsibility. NOt the CI.
If it really doesnt suprise you that a kid died due to a CI, I challenge you to provide ANY cases of a CI being responsible for the death of a child. Afterall, the headline in the story is misleading. Well, theres a suprise. Imbellishment of a story, by the media, to get ratings and readers. Whats that old saying "a fool is born every minute" or something like that.

Shel, read the title of the post.

Everything is dangerous Lily's Dad, when I said everything that's inculding CI too....

Shel90 said:
I wont get a CI cuz I dont like the idea of surgery but that is my own personal choice and I dont need one as of now. Maybe in the future I will. I wish CIs come without surgery and then I could be more comfortable with wearing it.

I understand really, hey you have to feel comfortable wearing it, if you don't then you're just not ready, I'm the same way, in the middle of feelings of not knowing what I want either, but it would be nice to hear something through, but I don't like the idea of having to go through surgery to get it ....Yeah I have that fear also...

How soon after the vaccine did you get the meningitis? When I was doing my research into vaccines I discovered that in some cases you can actually get the disease from the vaccine itself, although a milder form than the full blown disease. This is why some of my friends are against vaccines. Vaccines are effectively the virus in a deactivated form injected into you.

Also vaccines do not have 100% efficacy - in other words they will not work on every single person that has been vaccinated - only at best 90-95%. So that means that there will always be a small percentage of the population who will still get the disease anyway despite having been vaccinated. Still 90% is better than 0%.

Technically you can't get the disease from the vaccine (from a deactivated vaccine, anyway), it's an immune response. You still get some symptoms, but it's nothing close to having the disease, and it's purely the body's response to what it sees as an invader (e.g., fever as a way of fighting infection). I tend to get a low-grade fever and exhaustion from vaccines, and it's nasty, but I still get my flu shot every year - better a short, predictable illness than one that comes out of nowhere and drags on for weeks. I can't think of a situation where this would kill a patient, except perhaps via an autoimmune disorder (or an out of control fever, but the odds of that are vanishingly small today).

You're absolutely correct about the percentages, though. And as you point out, the percentages are better - if you have an X% chance of getting a disease without the vaccine, it's less than a tenth of that with the vaccine, and that's a much smaller percentage than the rate of adverse reactions to vaccines. Unfortunately, a small number of parents are quite strongly opposed to vaccines.

Wow, something like 54 threads before the anti CI comments started. Im impresed actually. Or was it intentional?
THE CI WAS NOT/IS NOT THE ISSUE. The fact that the parents failed in vaccinating the kid. Period. As soemone else posted here. "It is just a matter of time before something like this happens" Considering the source of that statement, I am also suprised. Some here make it seems like the CI is more dangerous than the plague. However, when someone finally finds a current case of a ci RELATED death, it turns out that the cause of death is caused by a lack of parental responsibility. NOt the CI.
If it really doesnt suprise you that a kid died due to a CI, I challenge you to provide ANY cases of a CI being responsible for the death of a child. Afterall, the headline in the story is misleading. Well, theres a suprise. Imbellishment of a story, by the media, to get ratings and readers. Whats that old saying "a fool is born every minute" or something like that.

In my previous post I said "I dont recall anyone posting a thread..." I meant to say "I dont recall anyone posting a post..."

Yea I see the title..interesting that the title of the thread is different from the Title of the actual article posted. Oh boy.

Yea, it was nice to read most ADers posts discussing this issue rather than bashing the CI.

SHOULD HAVE CHECKED VACCINE RECORD.. prior first before proceed.

You're right, they should have, but they didn't have the awareness they had today. I went in for a checkup, (this was AFTER the implant) and the doctor THEN told me, "Listen, you don't need to worry about it, but just to be on the safe side...go to your physician for the meningicoccal vaccine." I did that the following week. *shrug* Point is, I had the vaccine AFTER the surgery, and I really didn't know too much about the meningitis risk until AFTER I ended up almost dying from it.

you were very lucky to have survived it! yikesss!!!

an old hearing friend of mine got meningitis when she was in her early 20's ---almost died from it! AND SHE IS HEARING!!! so i wish deafies would stop spreading false information :squint: AND fabricating them WITHOUT READING CAREFULLY! UNLESS they don't know HOW TO READ!!??? :dunno: most deafies have a tendency to do something like this without getting "the real facts!" :ugh:

I consider myself extremely lucky. Another hour or so without the antibiotics, and I would not be here. I was rushed to the ER via ambulance, which might have also saved my life - for if you arrive via ambulance, you take priority over other emergency room patients. It's serious stuff.

Well, let's think...(this was years ago so bear with me if I seem a bit off...)...the initial implant was April of 2002. I went for the checkup (with the CI surgeon) in beginning of May to check scar, etc, make sure everything was healing well. So I'd have to say perhaps May or June of 2002 was when I had the vaccine. I came down with meningitis on January 12, 2004.

You're right, they should have, but they didn't have the awareness they had today. I went in for a checkup, (this was AFTER the implant) and the doctor THEN told me, "Listen, you don't need to worry about it, but just to be on the safe side...go to your physician for the meningicoccal vaccine." I did that the following week. *shrug* Point is, I had the vaccine AFTER the surgery, and I really didn't know too much about the meningitis risk until AFTER I ended up almost dying from it.

I consider myself extremely lucky. Another hour or so without the antibiotics, and I would not be here. I was rushed to the ER via ambulance, which might have also saved my life - for if you arrive via ambulance, you take priority over other emergency room patients. It's serious stuff.

Well, let's think...(this was years ago so bear with me if I seem a bit off...)...the initial implant was April of 2002. I went for the checkup (with the CI surgeon) in beginning of May to check scar, etc, make sure everything was healing well. So I'd have to say perhaps May or June of 2002 was when I had the vaccine. I came down with meningitis on January 12, 2004.

Wow..u are lucky!

Wow that was a close shave! Either you were one of the 5-10% whose vaccine was not efficient or perhaps you got a strain of meningitis that isn't covered by vaccines yet.

I haven't see you in here before (very wise!) although you are a regular of AD obviously. Out of interest did the meningitis affect the way your CI worked at all?

uhmmmm -- koff koff (wink)

Wow that was a close shave! Either you were one of the 5-10% whose vaccine was not efficient or perhaps you got a strain of meningitis that isn't covered by vaccines yet.

I haven't see you in here before (very wise!) although you are a regular of AD obviously. Out of interest did the meningitis affect the way your CI worked at all?

Either that, or the vaccine was what bought me a little more time when it all went down. No idea - I didn't ponder it too much, for the whole thing was crazy enough as it was.

No - my CI was still effective. However, my surgeon/CI Team decided to remove it and re-implant without the use of a spacer - (and while they were at it, provide me with an upgraded model) so they would further reduce the risk of a second bout of meningitis.

I've been here a while, I kind of stay out of CI threads most of the time though. :) I saw this one though, and HAD to add a little something, LOL.

you nailed it! i was gonna say something like this :thumb:

i got a forwarded email from a friend from someone (not naming names)... but they went on and on about how CI was deadly because of the girl (sigh)... and REFUSE TO GET CI and ARE AGAINST CI because of what happened to the little girl! AND even tried to force me and others to BELIEVE IT to get on their "side"!!??? :ugh:... they obviously DIDN'T READ CAREFULLY like i have been trying to emphasize all along about them "jumping to conculsions with reading carefully or understanding/getting the real facts"...

the title of the threat says it all as what i have been trying to say... :|

Either that, or the vaccine was what bought me a little more time when it all went down. No idea - I didn't ponder it too much, for the whole thing was crazy enough as it was.

No - my CI was still effective. However, my surgeon/CI Team decided to remove it and re-implant without the use of a spacer - (and while they were at it, provide me with an upgraded model) so they would further reduce the risk of a second bout of meningitis.

I've been here a while, I kind of stay out of CI threads most of the time though. :) I saw this one though, and HAD to add a little something, LOL.

same here too! :lol:

Back