7 year old girl abducted from my sisters apartment complex!( Updated 12.5.11)

Wirelessly posted (Backberry)

My opinion of his guilt is inconsequential.You were still on the tips and evidence trip in the post I replied to.

It is a wannabe trip. Steiny wants very much to be a police officer. But he isn't one.

Actually what they said was they were able to arrest the suspect due to tips from the public. Since you nor I know what those tips were it is foolish on your part to believe anything has been proven.

i never said information was withheld. I said the information that was released was not descriptive enough - including the posters plastered all over town of jorelys rivera. Another poster got fixated on the whole white honda thing .... I explained exactly why that wasn't descriptive enough.

If it turns out during brunn's arraignment that there is not enough evidence to convict then that means there is a high likelihood he is not the killer. There are a few residents of river ridge claiming they have very specific information completely exonerating brunn. Only time will tell and at this point it is very foolish to make claims that anything has been proven.

Although my own guess is that the gbi has dna evidence proving his guilt.

2005309swsw.gif

Cherokee Tribune - Resident Suspect was helping search for girl

Local paper interviewed my oldest (not older) sister:

Shelley Hendrix, a Canton resident, said her sister used to live in the River Ridge apartment complex, where she often took her children to play on the playground — the last place people in the area saw Jorelys alive.

Hendrix said even in light of recent events, she still feels that her family is safe in Canton.

“We moved to Canton after my daughter was a victim of an attack where we used to live,” she said. “I understand the feeling of not feeling safe in your own home, in your own community.”

She added that upon hearing Brunn’s arrest, she was immediately relieved.

Hendrix is also the founder of Church for Chicks, a non-profit church ministry for women. She said Jorelys’ story hit close to home.

“I have two teenage daughters and I’ve worked with youth and teens,” she said. “My niece is Jorelys’ age. When anyone is attacked, the closer you are to it, the more you are impacted by it. We all feel the vulnerability and horror of this.”

She also watched Wednesday’s press conference live and was thankful of the local authorities for their efforts.

“They are all exhausted, you can see it” Hendrix said. “You can tell it was not just a case to them… they saw her as a person.”

Read more: Cherokee Tribune - Resident Suspect was helping search for girl

Maybe some of you all remember me posting about the attack on my neice.

Would having her on a leash have prevented this? I doubt it quite seriously. When you have children, if you have children, you are entitled to leash them when you take them out. I still see it as inhumane and degrading. Holding their hand and paying close attention to where they are is much preferable for a parenting skill.

You only had the one child, didn't you?

I've seen harried moms at the mall trying to corral 3 or 4 young kids from time to time, and it's not easy. If such a mom finds using a child-leash allows a kid a little freedom while allowing her to hold the hand or the stroller of her youngest ones, more power to her.

It's better, of course, to teach the kids to stay close to mom, don't touch stuff they shouldn't, don't go more than 10 feet away, etc., etc. - but between trusting a 3 or 4 year old to do that, vs. physically controlling them, it's understandable why some would opt for the physical control.

Incidentally, just to be clear - I certainly don't think using a child-leash in this particular situation would have ever occurred to anyone. The child was 7; most people give 7 year olds some autonomy in coming and going, especially in what appeared to be a closed environment (from play area to apartment and back).

Personally I don't fault the baby-sitter, especially if she was also keeping an eye on other, younger children. (Was she?) It would be normal to let a 7 year old run back to her apartment, if it's right there, to get a drink or use the bathroom or whatever.

This killing is no one's fault but the killer's.

You don't need a leash today as you could use a GPS bracelet or something and tell the child to keep it with them at all times. I don't see this as a bad thing for child of that age. Once they become a teenager, it's their choice to let them know where you are and continue to use it.

I think it is a good solution.

Incidentally, just to be clear - I certainly don't think using a child-leash in this particular situation would have ever occurred to anyone. The child was 7; most people give 7 year olds some autonomy in coming and going, especially in what appeared to be a closed environment (from play area to apartment and back).

Personally I don't fault the baby-sitter, especially if she was also keeping an eye on other, younger children. (Was she?) It would be normal to let a 7 year old run back to her apartment, if it's right there, to get a drink or use the bathroom or whatever.

This killing is no one's fault but the killer's.

Which is why I feel there is more to the story than what is being said. Ga. DFAC (Dept of Children And Families) is very high on confidentiality, that I do know for a fact. I do not think they took the other children away just because the child went to the house to get something to drink. If that was true all the kids that walk to the bus stop or to school unsupervised would be taken away from their parents.

:(
let there be peace
let there be love
let there be hope
renewal....

It's hard to know. They might be over-reacting, thinking "better safe than sorry;" they might have specific information about the mother being unfit; the apartment itself might appear unsafe, or there could be some other concern.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I saw 2 unattended kids in a parking lot yesterday. One kid had thrown 2 car seats out of the vehicle and was running in circles around the vehicle. The kids weren't very old. Who thinks that's acceptable parenting? Kids need supervision.
Why didn't the baby sitter take the girl with her? That's what I would have done. Something doesn't add up.

Georgia DFCS has returned the mothers kids to her as of this afternoon/evening.
Also, thanks to stein for keeping the thread updated with news.
As for the perp the GBI and FBI are looking at cold cases in other states/areas he's lived in for similar events. As I said in my last post I do not think this is the first time for this man. Recently his brother has come out to defend his brother but regardless of how squeaky clean his brother makes him out to be Ted Bundy was just the same. Was very friendly, nice, dressed well. Who would have thought? I am awaiting the news conference/court appearance by Ryan Brunn and will update later when I hear more.

I only ask just one thing. Please stop the bickering back and forth in regards to this case. I do believe that the GBI has the right person as hard as it is to believe that a 20 year old could do something like this they would not have arrested him if they did not have loads of evidence against this man. I trust the GBI/FBI and the local police department. They did an outstanding job in my opinion. IF it is not the correct person which I'm doubtful it isn't then we can cross that bridge but until then keep the family in your prayers and let this be a lesson to everyone that monsters come in all shapes and sizes.

Here's something that really stood out to me as far as the sociopathy this person exibits-the fact that he was as cool as a cucumber when police swarmed over the complex and the fact that he searched for the little girl with the search crew. This is very common in serial killer cases-they like to involve themselves in the investigation, searches for the victim. It's also very damning that two weeks before Jorelys went missing/found dead he made a remark to one of the tenants that it'd be easy for someone to harm a child and mentioned the vacant apartments. It was that statement that led to suspicion on his part and stein is right-the tips did come from the public and in this case it came from a tenant.

I would like to know stein what the tenants you mentioned had that could prove he's innocent, clearing him of all charges? I have not spoken to my sister since the arrest so I am not aware of these persons but would like to know if it has something to do with an alibi. I'm assuming so.

:)
Thanks,
S.

p.s for the sake of clarity I am NOT accusing the perp of being a serial killer. if you know anything about them you will understand what I'm talking about where I'm coming from. Thanks.

Last edited:
Georgia DFCS has returned the mothers kids to her as of this afternoon/evening.
Also, thanks to stein for keeping the thread updated with news.
As for the perp the GBI and FBI are looking at cold cases in other states/areas he's lived in for similar events. As I said in my last post I do not think this is the first time for this man. Recently his brother has come out to defend his brother but regardless of how squeaky clean his brother makes him out to be Ted Bundy was just the same. Was very friendly, nice, dressed well. Who would have thought? I am awaiting the news conference/court appearance by Ryan Brunn and will update later when I hear more.

I only ask just one thing. Please stop the bickering back and forth in regards to this case. I do believe that the GBI has the right person as hard as it is to believe that a 20 year old could do something like this they would not have arrested him if they did not have loads of evidence against this man. I trust the GBI/FBI and the local police department. They did an outstanding job in my opinion. IF it is not the correct person which I'm doubtful it isn't then we can cross that bridge but until then keep the family in your prayers and let this be a lesson to everyone that monsters come in all shapes and sizes.

Here's something that really stood out to me as far as the sociopathy this person exibits-the fact that he was as cool as a cucumber when police swarmed over the complex and the fact that he searched for the little girl with the search crew. This is very common in serial killer cases-they like to involve themselves in the investigation, searches for the victim. It's also very damning that two weeks before Jorelys went missing/found dead he made a remark to one of the tenants that it'd be easy for someone to harm a child and mentioned the vacant apartments. It was that statement that led to suspicion on his part and stein is right-the tips did come from the public and in this case it came from a tenant.

I would like to know stein what the tenants you mentioned had that could prove he's innocent, clearing him of all charges? I have not spoken to my sister since the arrest so I am not aware of these persons but would like to know if it has something to do with an alibi. I'm assuming so.

:)
Thanks,
S.

p.s for the sake of clarity I am NOT accusing the perp of being a serial killer. if you know anything about them you will understand what I'm talking about where I'm coming from. Thanks.

It was announced yesterday afternoon about 4 p.m. (WSB) that some residents had very specific information indicating the police arrested the wrong guy. There was supposed to be a news conference about it ... I haven't read anything since then, but rumors do fly.

This is weird though:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/mother-warns-strange-man-offering-candy-daughters/nFwLq/

Henry County police have issued a "be on the lookout" for the 2000 model white Dodge Caravan. The driver is described as white, in his 40s or 50s with a mustache and medium build.

I missed the news coverage on that particular item. Thanks for the update!

I came back to post some snippets of information regarding what I had posted above so the other members would know where I was coming from in my opinion and what led me to my opinion:

"GBI Director Vernon Keenan said Brunn had keys to both the vacant apartment and the trash compactor."

"
Residents at the apartment complex said that on the night that Jorelys was reported missing, Brunn calmly joined the search for the missing 7-year-old and helped distribute her missing person flyers."

" Her body was crushed in the trash compactor, police said. "

Granted the last tidbit was disgusting but it proves my point. Only a clinical sadistic sociopath could so such a thing to another persons body, as well as take part in pretending to "care" about the missing child, search for her, pass out flyers to appear innocent as a bystander.

I'm still awaiting the court appearance....

I came back to post some snippets of information regarding what I had posted above so the other members would know where I was coming from in my opinion and what led me to my opinion:

"GBI Director Vernon Keenan said Brunn had keys to both the vacant apartment and the trash compactor."

"
Residents at the apartment complex said that on the night that Jorelys was reported missing, Brunn calmly joined the search for the missing 7-year-old and helped distribute her missing person flyers."

Granted the last tidbit was disgusting but it proves my point. Only a clinical sadistic sociopath could so such a thing to another persons body, as well as take part in pretending to "care" about the missing child, search for her, pass out flyers to appear innocent as a bystander.

I have been waiting for it too - the Judge is Frank Mills. I am pretty sure the GBI has damning evidence. The kind of evidence that is disturbing (DNA evidence, she was raped).

That pimple on humanity needs to be popped. My father has been very upset and hasn't spoken to anyone except me about this. He said he hopes he resists at some point so he can get shot between the eyes, right after being shot between the legs.

I have been waiting for it too - the Judge is Frank Mills. I am pretty sure the GBI has damning evidence. The kind of evidence that is disturbing (DNA evidence, she was raped).

That pimple on humanity needs to be popped. My father has been very upset and hasn't spoken to anyone except me about this. He said he hopes he resists at some point so he can get shot between the eyes, right after being shot between the legs.

I just got off the phone with my sister for updates and the court date had already been done but it was not aired at the time. I had asked about the rumors regarding his alibi and she told me that she's heard from other tenants that he was at wal-mart during the crime but I told her if that was the case he would not have been there searching for the girl. WSB will have the court appearance on at 4pm according to my sister. I'm still searching the net for the grand jury indictment to read the list of charges and evidence against him.

I'd hug your father if I could. This has torn up everyone I know since my sister lives at the apartments. It's been a very difficult case to watch unfold in my own backyard and getting the phone calls and text messages from my sister and hearing the fear in her voice. It's been stressful but even though the person has been arrested the stress has not really left. I think for most of us who have friends/family who live there, and took part in the search for the little girl we will always be a little more on guard than most people. It has been a big wake up call to everyone I know that's been affected by it and one I wish never happened in some regards because once you know monsters like this exist life is never the same for those affected by it, more so than others is the family of the victim. Once you're touched by evil, once you see it if you're not trained to deal with it from an academic perspective, or from being an officer it's something that can eat a person alive and I'll admit, all the books I've read, the classes I've taken are just that. Books and classes. Seeing it with your own eyes, being a part of it is very different and I didn't expect that I'd be this affected by it. I thought I'd be prepared to look into those eyes but wasn't. Your father wasn't either and I doubt the seasoned GBI officers were either. This is by far one of the most horrific cases I've seen and I think it'll be a long time before anyone in those apartments, my sister, your father and cherokee county will be able to move on.

I agree with one of the posters a few posts back that counseling needs to be offered to the tenants and to anyone affected by this horrific crime including the family.

"

No way am I saying you are wrong, but be careful about jumping to the serial killer conclusion. The things you mentioned could also be true of an innocent person. And many of the characteristics you have listed regarding serial killers are also true of people guilty of single murders. Fact is, serial killers are an extremely rare phenomenon, and even so, they can't all be painted with the same brush. This guy's age would be against his being a serial killer. Serial killers get away with their crimes for years before being caught. This guy is only 20 years old.

I just got off the phone with my sister for updates and the court date had already been done but it was not aired at the time. I had asked about the rumors regarding his alibi and she told me that she's heard from other tenants that he was at wal-mart during the crime but I told her if that was the case he would not have been there searching for the girl. WSB will have the court appearance on at 4pm according to my sister. I'm still searching the net for the grand jury indictment to read the list of charges and evidence against him.

I'd hug your father if I could. This has torn up everyone I know since my sister lives at the apartments. It's been a very difficult case to watch unfold in my own backyard and getting the phone calls and text messages from my sister and hearing the fear in her voice. It's been stressful but even though the person has been arrested the stress has not really left. I think for most of us who have friends/family who live there, and took part in the search for the little girl we will always be a little more on guard than most people. It has been a big wake up call to everyone I know that's been affected by it and one I wish never happened in some regards because once you know monsters like this exist life is never the same for those affected by it, more so than others is the family of the victim. Once you're touched by evil, once you see it if you're not trained to deal with it from an academic perspective, or from being an officer it's something that can eat a person alive and I'll admit, all the books I've read, the classes I've taken are just that. Books and classes. Seeing it with your own eyes, being a part of it is very different and I didn't expect that I'd be this affected by it. I thought I'd be prepared to look into those eyes but wasn't. Your father wasn't either and I doubt the seasoned GBI officers were either. This is by far one of the most horrific cases I've seen and I think it'll be a long time before anyone in those apartments, my sister, your father and cherokee county will be able to move on.

I agree with one of the posters a few posts back that counseling needs to be offered to the tenants and to anyone affected by this horrific crime including the family.

It would really be a good idea for crisis intervention debriefing to be done with the complex residents and those who participated in the search. Otherwise, there is going to be all kinds of psychological fallout from this.

I have been telling both of my sisters that I understand how those residents feel. I was a Gallaudet student when Eric Plunkett and Benjamin Varner were murdered. It was surreal.

When the DC police arrested the initial suspect, everyone felt relieved. Then the second murder happened .... :shock: paranoia set in.

I sure hope they have the right guy. I wouldn't want to feel deja vu all over again.

Back