7 year old girl abducted from my sisters apartment complex!( Updated 12.5.11)

About supervision. I remember back then my parents let me go out riding bikes with my friends around the neighborhood when I was in elementary school so I had to be 7 or 8 at the time. If they removed the other children because the mother let a teenager babysit her daughter, then I dont understand how that can be considered unsupervised?
When I was 7 or 8, I would be riding my bike alone or with friends miles away to places like 7-Eleven or a local community college or some park. I was all over the place.

I guess nowadays, no place is safe any more. :(

When I was 7 or 8, I would be riding my bike alone or with friends miles away to places like 7-Eleven or a local community college or some park. I was all over the place.

Crimes happened back then too. We just did not have the media frenzie to notify everyone of each horrific crime that is commited. People were less aware of what was going outside of their town.

it's because nobody knows the name of their neighbors. so sad... where's a community??? :(

My neighbor across the street has two white Hondas.

If the reporter had gotten more information from MacFarland (the witness who saw the car running) and was to say, for example, an 80's era white Honda 2 door hatchback, or even, 90's model 4 door sedan - that would have narrowed it down.

If this had been a case of a child abduction, and the person who abducted the child was driving a "white honda", they could have theoretically been several states away or even in Mexico by the time an accurate description of the car was given to the public.

The police ask for public assistance all the time. I would think reporters (the link between the public and the police) should do more accurate and descriptive reporting - not graphic details -

It is those type of details that get fugitives caught. I know you know this Reba, I am just saying it to get it off my chest ;)

AMW | About John Walsh from America's Most Wanted

I still remember the first time I saw John Walsh - I was living in Florida when our family saw his plea for help from the public to find his son Adam.

and that's why no further description was given because it was irrelevant. if there was a case of child abduction where suspect was on the run in vehicle, amber and/or blue alerts will be broadcasted.... and yes with complete detail of vehicle.

in this case, it was not necessary. a poor child was found. since you stated that police never stated that they're interested in locating a white honda, then reporters need to stop playing detective. they should publicize what police stated. period.

Doing so-called detective work on their own and publicizing so-called clues not released by police will just further complicate the case and cause delay because police department hotline will be flooded with useless and irrelevant tips.

Crimes happened back then too. We just did not have the media frenzie to notify everyone of each horrific crime that is commited. People were less aware of what was going outside of their town.

You are right. I started following this situation on AD on the 3rd and until yesterday it did not get mention in Houston. Otherwise I don't think without AD I would have known.

I just saw this thread now, it's a sad story and I hope your sister moves out of that area. In the last news post, the other siblings have been taken into state custody.

I just saw this thread now, it's a sad story and I hope your sister moves out of that area. In the last news post, the other siblings have been taken into state custody.

Why would the sister need to move out of that area? Everytime some one is killed in your area you move?

Why would the sister need to move out of that area? Everytime some one is killed in your area you move?

Not all areas of a city are the same, there is less crime in some and more crime in others. Yes, all areas are affected by crime. And, yes, it does not mean you will not be affected, but the chance that you or your family will be affected by it varies greatly, to the point of being shot on a street corner, unfortunately.

In my family, my sister-law's sister, still lives in an area of town which is now a drug war zone(unheard of years ago), because she believes that since she grew up there she is safe. In the mean time, she's been mugged twice, that's not rational. Some people grow up in neighborhoods that were once safe and are later unsafe, yet they refuse to leave. While this is admirable, it is naive to thing you cannot be affected.

Just like the weather, crime changes over time.

Not all areas of a city are the same, there is less crime in some and more crime in others. Yes, all areas are affected by crime. And, yes, it does not mean you will not be affected, but the chance that you or your family will be affected by it varies greatly, to the point of being shot on a street corner, unfortunately.

In my family, my sister-law's sister, still lives in an area of town which is now a drug war zone(unheard of years ago), because she believes that since she grew up there she is safe. In the mean time, she's been mugged twice, that's not rational. Some people grow up in neighborhoods that were once safe and are later unsafe, yet they refuse to leave. While this is admirable, it is naive to thing you cannot be affected.

Just like the weather, crime changes over time.

It is not like she is in the smack in the middle of a drug war or high crime area. A child was murdered and it occurs to me it does not seem like it is a common crime in her area. So why would she need to move? It can happen anywhere at anytime to anybody.

It is not like she is in the smack in the middle of a drug war or high crime area. A child was murdered and it occurs to me it does not seem like it is a common crime in her area. So why would she need to move? It can happen anywhere at anytime to anybody.

Yes it can. I'm seeing this happen in Houston on a weekly basic and it just makes me sick. Houston does have pockets of high crime areas but oftentimes the abductions take place in a "safe" area. I can't count the number of times I've watch news reports and a neighbor says: "That just has not happened in this neighborhood! This only happens elsewhere!"

If you check the reviews of the apartment complex they are mixed, but it doesn't sound like a nice place to live. Perhaps this is just a one off event?

River Ridge at Canton

another review

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/GA-Canton-River-Ridge-at-Canton.html

Again, more mixed, but this one really caught my eye from March 2011
dead body found in trash compactor

Date posted: 2/11/2011
Years at this apartment: 2011 - 2011
the criminal activity here is unreal.
the office refuses to help in this matter.
the gate to walk in is always open, they never lock it at night.
a couple months ago several cop cars were near the trash compactor and cops interviewing residents.
the apartments are located less than a mile from the most known drug area in canton, ask any deputy in the area.
there are holes in the fence off the main road and into an unsafe neighborhood next door to the complex.
also, my truck has been hit twice since living here.
it's worth the extra 100 dollars a month to live somewhere where the manager actually cares about resident safety.
the walls are paper thin.
i can hear the people above me using the restroom and music from the neighbors beside me.
nobody cleans up after their dogs.
regretting not paying extra to live next door at heritage!

But what really got me was this reply:
joshjones2121 Date: 02/23/2011 I agree the manager Sherry is a rude woman, and allows convicted sex offenders to live in the community. She doesnt care about the property she only cares about filling the units with whatever trash she can drag in.We should be able to leave things outside and not have to worry about it being stolen becuase they allow convicts to live here. When my lease is up yall kiss asses can have this garbage can you call a community.
Read more: http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/GA-Canton-River-Ridge-at-Canton-1206418.html#ixzz1frjgQSPn

Last edited:
ok. sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

Arrest Made in Death of 7-year-old Jorelys Rivera | firstcoastnews.com

CANTON, Ga. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting that an arrest has been made in the Jorelys Rivera homicide case, citing the Georgia Bureau of investigations.

From the AJC:

GBI investigator Vernon Keenan declined to identify the man, but investigators plan to release more details in the case at a 1:45 p.m. press conference today, Lt. Jay Baker with the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office said.

Town of Canton resident Drew Baucom said earlier today that the abduction, sexual assault and beating death of 7-year-old Jorelys Rivera makes him feel like his home is violated.

Police said the girl was last seen Friday. They believe she was abducted near a playground, taken to a vacant apartment nearby and attacked. She was stabbed and beaten, and her body was dumped in a trash bin.

Investigators have said since her body was found that they believe the killer is someone who lives in the River Ridge apartments or had regular access to them.

Baucom, a 17-year-old, said the crime makes him worried that something similar could happen again.

Associated Press

Man, and Christmas is 3 weeks away...I feel really bad for the family, especially the girl who won't be around on Christmas morning. This really ruined their holiday already...

His facebook profile picture:

ryanbrunn.jpg

I'm glad that they found him, and he's off the streets.

Back