7 year old girl abducted from my sisters apartment complex!( Updated 12.5.11)

That is a good question, sallylou. We may not know for some time what good can come from this. I think everyone has to get past the shock and the grief before we can even begin to look for meaning. I am certain that meaning will be found; just not today or tomorrow.

Some children's murders/abductions that have changed the laws..

Polly Klaas
Megan Kanka
Amber Hagerman
Adam Walsh

Some children's murders/abductions that have changed the laws..

Polly Klaas
Megan Kanka
Amber Hagerman
Adam Walsh

Absolutely. I think that maybe this one is just too fresh for anyone to see past the horror yet.

Jillio, I have already addressed this and made it quite clear that I am respectful of my sister and my family. Your attempts to further berate me are failing. Please take it to another thread. Thankyou.

No attempt to berate. Simply calling your attention to something that you obviously don't consider.

Words and actions need to match up. But hey, you can continue to act with disrespect in these matters if you so choose. Just thought you might like to know why people see you as disrespectful in general when it comes to the topic of rape and sexual assault. No biggie, though. Carry on.

That is so horrible. FBI will investigate it immediately. I hope that there are some security cameras in the area to find out who is the monster.

I just ordered my child safety kit

Polly Klaas Foundation - Polly's Story

In light of what happened to Jorley, pls take the time to order your child safety kit from this foundation.

My son will start walking to and from school on his own or with a group of friends (I am hoping for the latter) in 3 years so I am taking all kinds of prevative measures to ensure his safety. It cant hurt.

I am thinking of getting that alarm system installed in which I will be able to monitor my son's comings and goings on video using my phone's app.

I looked up the child sex offender registry and to my dismay, I found so many of them living nearby but not within a mile of my house due to my house being in a school zone. Still..it is disturbing.

Take the time to register yourselves to this foundation.

We all need to keep in mind, as well, that child abduction and sexual assault is most often accomplished by someone known to the child. That familiarity is responsible for the child letting their guard down. We need to incorporate this fact into our plans for keeping our kids safe.

In light of what happened to Jorley, pls take the time to order your child safety kit from this foundation.

My son will start walking to and from school on his own or with a group of friends (I am hoping for the latter) in 3 years so I am taking all kinds of prevative measures to ensure his safety. It cant hurt.

I am thinking of getting that alarm system installed in which I will be able to monitor my son's comings and goings on video using my phone's app.

I looked up the child sex offender registry and to my dismay, I found so many of them living nearby
but not within a mile of my house due to my house being in a school zone. Still..it is disturbing.

It really is disturbing. I just looked it up for my Virginia house, and found 103 offenders in my zipcode and "contiguous" zip codes. (Which means some of these guys are within a couple miles, and some are as much as 10 miles distant. None were in my immediate neighborhood, thankfully.)

Looked up our N.C. area, and did a search for "5 miles radius." There are 14. (Again, none in my immediate neighborhood.)

The NC set-up has these guys graphed on a map. You click on a little indicator, and that person's whole story comes up: picture, age, date of offense, date of registarion, type of incident, age of victim.

It turned my stomach. Age of victim was sometimes as young as 6 - and that one was with a 76-year-old offender. Grandpa, maybe?

I swear, if I were a parent, I'd be paranoid about my kids ever being anywhere out of my sight.

I looked up the child sex offender registry and to my dismay, I found so many of them living nearby but not within a mile of my house due to my house being in a school zone. Still..it is disturbing.

I did a similar thing like you a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised to see so many in my area and it's mostly rural after a mile's drive up HWY 29.

I did a similar thing like you a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised to see so many in my area and it's mostly rural after a mile's drive up HWY 29.

You need to keep in mind that "sex offender" is very, very broad, and could include an 18 year old and a 15 year old having consensual sex.

The sex offender registry is really just another way to provide a false sense of security to the general public. How often is someone that is registered as a sex offender picked up and found to be guilty of another case. In this case, they questioned the sex offenders registered and living in the area and could find no connection to this crime. That is what happens 99 out of 100 times. In the meantime, kids are being sexually assaulted at an ever increasing rate. It's because everyone is so concerned about protecting their kids from the strangers on the registry, but not too concerned about protecting them from family members and friends. Family members and friends are the most likely perpetrator in a child sexual assault.

You need to keep in mind that "sex offender" is very, very broad, and could include an 18 year old and a 15 year old having consensual sex.

you have a point there though I recall that many of the offenders were in their 50s and 60s.. There's not a lot of young people where I live.

you have a point there though I recall that many of the offenders were in their 50s and 60s.. There's not a lot of young people where I live.

And, at that age, what do you want to bet that it involved a victim from their own family, or someone they had a close friendship with?

The sex offender registry is really just another way to provide a false sense of security to the general public. How often is someone that is registered as a sex offender picked up and found to be guilty of another case. In this case, they questioned the sex offenders registered and living in the area and could find no connection to this crime. That is what happens 99 out of 100 times. In the meantime, kids are being sexually assaulted at an ever increasing rate. It's because everyone is so concerned about protecting their kids from the strangers on the registry, but not too concerned about protecting them from family members and friends. Family members and friends are the most likely perpetrator in a child sexual assault.

I believe it.

But that's kind of the point. If I lived next door to a sex offender, I would want to know it, and not accept neighborly offers to "look after the kids for you" from such a neighbor.

Going by the bios of the sex offenders I clicked on that were relevant to my areas, there were no "18 year old with a 15 year old" type of situation. The men were mostly in their 40's, 50's, and 60's, and victims were mostly age 6 to 13 or so.

But that's kind of the point. If I lived next door to a sex offender, I would want to know it, and not accept neighborly offers to "look after the kids for you" from such a neighbor.

Going by the bios of the sex offenders I clicked on that were relevant to my areas, there were no "18 year old with a 15 year old" type of situation. The men were mostly in their 40's, 50's, and 60's, and victims were mostly age 6 to 13 or so.

Just because there were none in your area doesn't mean it doesn't occur.

I would suggest never leaving your children with a neighbor unless your neighbor happens to be someone you have known for many years and are aware of their history. No need to check the sex offender registry. The ones that are the most risk are the ones that aren't on the registry because they have never been arrested and convicted.

Back