29 years old and hearing myself for the first time

well, apparently only candidates with this kind of hearing loss qualify:

•Stable bilateral sensorineural hearing loss
•Moderate to severe sensorineural hearing loss defined by Pure Tone Average (PTA)

That could be me.. maybe I ought to go check it out..

Perhaps hearing for the first time with that particular device.....or for the first time since she lost her hearing...

No, I think it would be almost like HA's only it'll use my natural hearing for most part.

She specifically states on her YouTube page that she was born deaf.

I was born with the worst possible deafness you can diagnose but I could hear myself with my hearing aides. She had to be soooooo severely profound deaf not to be able to hear herself. That is very very rare.

that is what I am trying to find out...was she HOH and the reporters manipulated the title to make it more dramatic or was she really that deaf?

I was born with the worst possible deafness you can diagnose but I could hear myself with my hearing aides. She had to be soooooo severely profound deaf not to be able to hear herself. That is very very rare.

that is what I am trying to find out...was she HOH and the reporters manipulated the title to make it more dramatic or was she really that deaf?

This is her video, on her own page talking about herself in the first person, so I'm pretty sure she made that title. Although it is a little misleading to say that if she's not totally deaf and has some hearing in one of her ears, and totally deaf in the other.

This is her video, on her own page talking about herself in the first person, so I'm pretty sure she made that title...

Well, there is no captioning and I cant hear well enough to understand her. Lemme go back and double check...

Double checked...no captioning so I have no f**** idea what she or the others are saying. Anyone else has the captioning?

I was not able to see the captioning either. Anyone else have any luck?

According to the comments, it said that she has been wearing hearing aids since the age of 2. That's pretty late in life for a child to start learning how to speak. I doubt that this woman is profoundly deaf, probably moderate.

Even with a moderate hearing loss, she should be able to "hear" herself. Maybe not "understand" herself.

Even with a moderate hearing loss, she should be able to "hear" herself. Maybe not "understand" herself.

Right, I am profoundly deaf and I can hear myself, but I don't understand myself most of the times.

Right, I am profoundly deaf and I can hear myself, but I don't understand myself most of the times.

amen to that too! I "hear" what I am saying so that helps me understand myself. Weird, isnt it>?

If a hearing person whom is very close to me, I can "hear" what they are about to say and actually understand what they say via "hearing" without lipreading. It freaks me out sometimes! :eek3:

According to the comments, it said that she has been wearing hearing aids since the age of 2. That's pretty late in life for a child to start learning how to speak. I doubt that this woman is profoundly deaf, probably moderate.

After looking up more articles on this particular woman, apparently it's a new type of hearing device that is added to your ears. They have to to perform a surgery to implant it. Then 6 to 8 weeks later, it'll be activated just like a cochlear implant would be. It has a price tag of $30,000 for the tests, pre-op, surgery, activation, etc.

I decided to look up on this hearing device, apparently it's designed for people with moderate to severe hearing loss. That was something that I wondered about the first time I came across the YouTube clip because not much details were shared at first.

The first mistake the mainstream media made was how sensational they made it out to be. The second mistake they made was misleading the readers on the facts. Not to mention how much I don't like how the comments on YouTube are getting pretty ugly coming from all sides.

For her, it was a sensational experience, but please don't exploit her experience. The worst thing about this is that it'll give people the wrong idea. They are portraying it as a "miracle cure" when it's not. They did the same thing with cochlear implants a million times over the past decade. These devices do assist people in hearing, but the results vary from individual to individual. For some, it works great, for some, it works okay, for some, it doesn't do much.

I'm glad that this device is working out very well for her.

I just saw the video, and in a google search came across this board. Figured I would sign up and shed a bit of light on whats going on in the video (I am not deaf by any means, although I'm sure my boss would claim otherwise).

captioning for the video:

0:00-0:03 (nervous laughter) Nurse: "its like... so close."
0:06 Nurse: "There ya go."
0:10 Sarah: (sniffle)
0:12 Nurse: "you're not right over it..."
0:14 (EXTREMELY faint beep noise.. perhaps from computer)
0:20 Nurse: "there ya go."
0:22 Sarah "It's beeping."
0:23 Nurse: "So now technically your device is on"
0:25 Sarah: (laughing)
Nurse: "can you tell?"
0:28 Nurse: (very sincere)"oh, its exciting!"
0:34 Nurse: "here, you can put it down for a second.. just get used to the sound."
0:40 Sarah: (sobbing)
Nurse: "Whats it sound like? (quietly off camera) "tell her to grab some tissues."

0:47 Sarah: "I don't want to hear myTHelf cry" (this is the only point where her accent is audible).

0:52 Sarah: (laughing softly)
0:56 Nurse: "can you hear me? can you hear your voice?
1:00 Nurse: "does your voice sound pretty loud?"
1:01 Sarah: "um.. (sigh).. no, not really."
1:04 Nurse: "well thats good! (breaks into laughter)"
1:05 Sarah: (laughing) "My laugh does sound loud"
1:06 Nurse: "good, you'll get used to all of that over time."
1:13 Sarah: (gasp)
1:16 Nurse: "do you want to hear your husband say something?"
1:22 Husband: (chuckles)

there isn't much speaking in the video other than from the nurse, but sarah still speaks fairly well. I was amazed at first also, but having watched the video a few times I can pick up on it a little bit.

To be alienated from the world because of the loss of hearing is heartbreaking. To have the chance to hear again with MORE clarity is a medical breakthrough and I will even use the word "miracle" hear. I am so happy for her and grateful for this new technology. I am shocked at the number of negative comments (skepticism okay, nasty comments not) regarding her success. This company is building dedicated centers to implant this device and I will have one in the next three years.

To be alienated from the world because of the loss of hearing is heartbreaking. To have the chance to hear again with MORE clarity is a medical breakthrough and I will even use the word "miracle" hear. I am so happy for her and grateful for this new technology. I am shocked at the number of negative comments (skepticism okay, nasty comments not) regarding her success. This company is building dedicated centers to implant this device and I will have one in the next three years.

Sorry you feel that way. I never once felt alienated.

Back