29 years old and hearing myself for the first time

Phi4Sius

Reaction score
29 year old deaf girl receives Envoy Esteem hearing implant - hears herself for the first time:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsOo3jzkhYA]29 years old and hearing myself for the 1st time! - YouTube[/ame]

She didn't sign at all so I am assuming here that she is a deaf Oralist who opted for CI.

She can't really hear herself unless she talks into a recorder and plays it back. You know?

I don't think she's deaf. That Esteem only works for moderate hearing loss, right?

She sounded like a hearing person when she spoke. I hardly heard any Deaf accent. I'm wondering how well she heard before the implant.

I was looking through their site and apparently it now works for severe loss: Indications

That's interesting. Looks like it won't work for a lot of people. I see it has to be pretty much a perfect structure. And I am curious how it works for SNL since it seems to just amplify if I am reading it right.
I thought even moderate/severe people with SNL don't hear lots of consonants. :hmm:

The Esteem® is intended to alleviate hearing loss in patients by replicating the ossicular chain and providing additional gain. The Esteem® is indicated for patients with hearing loss that meet the following criteria:
•18 years of age or older
•Stable bilateral sensorineural hearing loss
•Moderate to severe sensorineural hearing loss defined by Pure Tone Average (PTA)
•Unaided speech discrimination test score greater than or equal to 40%
•Normally functioning Eustachian tube
•Normal middle ear anatomy
•Normal tympanic membrane
•Adequate space for Esteem® implant determined via high resolution CT scan
•Minimum 30 days of experience with appropriately fit hearing aids

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Most people who have that issue have otosclerosis with progressive hearing loss, and they don't qualify. It seems to be aimed at a very limited market.

I was looking through their site and apparently it now works for severe loss: Indications

It says up to severe loss. To me that means those with certain severe and profound loss is not recommended.. I was looking into website wondering if that would be for me. When I read that above, I knew it wasn't for me (yet).

What many hearing people fail to understand is that for some of us, no device is available to help us. Including HAs in cases of severe recruitment. Many people believe that deaf people can slap on a device and be "fixed." These people have more faith in the medical profession than actually warranted. My nurse friend suggested that I seek alternative care. She knows that medical doctors cannot help me. Wish that other people could understand that.

If she is hard of hearing then how is it that she is hearing herself for the first time? :confused:

That has crossed my mind. Could be that the writer missunderstand what she meant?

Well..it is apparent she is happy so best of luck to her with her new implant.

What I like about this system is it uses natural ear to work better and only amplify what drum in ear picks up. Instead of forcing ear to work harder like I think HA does. HA listens for you and amplify sounds while this one takes input from drum bone.. and then takes what it "says" and move other bone in ear to help "hear".. I like that idea..

That will only work for conductive hearing loss. It will not work for people with sensorineural hearing loss. I am happy that people with conductive hearing loss have a new option. How effective it will be remains to be seen. Stapes surgery fell out if favor because of its failure rate. This will not help people with stapes issues because of otosclerosis (most people with stapes issues). This is just another example of a hearing person who doesn't understand the medical issues with hearing loss.

Last edited:

That will only work for conductive hearing loss. It will not work for people with sensorineural hearing loss. I am happy that people with conductive hearing loss have a new option. How effective it will be remains to be seen. Stapes surgery fell out if favor because of its failure rate. This will not help people with stapes issues because of otosclerosis (most people with stapes issues). This is just another example of a hearing person who doesn't understand the medical issues with hearing loss.

well, apparently only candidates with this kind of hearing loss qualify:

•Stable bilateral sensorineural hearing loss
•Moderate to severe sensorineural hearing loss defined by Pure Tone Average (PTA)

Back