2008 jeep grand cherokee srt-8

Hey, I say I dont like ETC not PCM. Understand? I agree with your mention, I say about the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) that I had some experince with the ETCs on the newer vehicles that I noticed the engine won't respone or pick up the speed when you accelerate the pedal about 25% or more after exit from the gas station or from the stop only turn on left or right corners. You see the post #4 by diehardbiker, mentioned about the GM SUV, is that I think it is ETC same happen to me before, I drove a 2005 Chevy Tahoe AWD with a 5.3L V8, on the straight road for road test (customer complaints no power), found the engine won't flare up when I accelerated the pedal about 50 to 75% when exited from the gas station, the engine will pick up the speed after back off pedal and re accelerate. Complicate. I told a customer to take it to the dealer for the ETC issue. I drove a MBZ or BMW
with ETC, there were no driveability problems. Thats why I negative with the ETC. I stay with the cabled throttle body.

Ah. I get your point now. I believe GM's program to control you and won't let you to push too much power and improve gas mileage.

I remember I checked on chevy cavalier for vacuum gauge. It said 20 in HG then I snap the engine and it won't drop to zero due cable at wrong location. Stupid GM.

I read lot people complained about GM's manual skip shift. So there is hack for it.
How To Disable GM's Manual Skip Shift For Seven Bucks - GM Skip Shift - Jalopnik

I have no problem with my Subaru with ETC too.

I have the Keep Grand Cherokee Limited

I have the Hemi 5.7 liter limited, one model below the SRT8 and I love the power and the AWD.

Ah. I get your point now. I believe GM's program to control you and won't let you to push too much power and improve gas mileage.

I remember I checked on chevy cavalier for vacuum gauge. It said 20 in HG then I snap the engine and it won't drop to zero due cable at wrong location. Stupid GM.

I read lot people complained about GM's manual skip shift. So there is hack for it.
How To Disable GM's Manual Skip Shift For Seven Bucks - GM Skip Shift - Jalopnik

I have no problem with my Subaru with ETC too.
Interesting, hey ETC is not cheap part, expensive. Fk ETC. I remember I replaced 2 ETCs on a 2002 and 2005 Nissian Altimas. The new ETC came with a complete throttle body assy cuz the ETC were riveted to the body. Reprogram on a 2002 model after replaced new ETC assy. Relearn procedure on a 2005 model, can be manually or scan tool to reset the ETC relearn. I did fixed the loose female terminals of the ETC connector in a 2003 GMC Yukon, 5.3L. My smog tech who replaced a pedal accelerator sensor on a 2003 Toyota Camry, 3.0L. ETCs are horrible.

Interesting, hey ETC is not cheap part, expensive. Fk ETC. I remember I replaced 2 ETCs on a 2002 and 2005 Nissian Altimas. The new ETC came with a complete throttle body assy cuz the ETC were riveted to the body. Reprogram on a 2002 model after replaced new ETC assy. Relearn procedure on a 2005 model, can be manually or scan tool to reset the ETC relearn. I did fixed the loose female terminals of the ETC connector in a 2003 GMC Yukon, 5.3L. My smog tech who replaced a pedal accelerator sensor on a 2003 Toyota Camry, 3.0L. ETCs are horrible.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. My 2001 Subaru with 130k milesage still have stock ETC and it run smooth. Thank you for explain. I love to learn new something and troubleshooting for everyday.

I learned how to test on ETC from hand device (direct to ETC) and OBDII (laptop) but I never replace the ETC before.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. My 2001 Subaru with 130k milesage still have stock ETC and it run smooth. Thank you for explain. I love to learn new something and troubleshooting for everyday.

I learned how to test on ETC from hand device (direct to ETC) and OBDII (laptop) but I never replace the ETC before.
The 2002 Nissan Altima came with high idle and MIL on, I pulled a DTC P0505(Idle too high) , investigated the vacuum leaks and IAC, none of them were found and noticed the IAC was not in the system that confused me. I realized the ETC in the system, doesnt have IAC solenoid cuz the PCM control the butterfly throttle plate open/ close upon the start up such as cold start or A/C on or keep charge the battery when the electrical is consumption without hit the gas pedal. New throttle body that came with ETC/TPS as built-in assy, took a care of it. I saw the part invoice paper, quoted $450 dollars, guess the service writer charged a customer about $800 dollars. That was 2 years ago.

The 2002 Nissan Altima came with high idle and MIL on, I pulled a DTC P0505(Idle too high) , investigated the vacuum leaks and IAC, none of them were found and noticed the IAC was not in the system that confused me. I realized the ETC in the system, doesnt have IAC solenoid cuz the PCM control the butterfly throttle plate open/ close upon the start up such as cold start or A/C on or keep charge the battery when the electrical is consumption without hit the gas pedal. New throttle body that came with ETC/TPS as built-in assy, took a care of it. I saw the part invoice paper, quoted $450 dollars, guess the service writer charged a customer about $800 dollars. That was 2 years ago.

98' Buick Century came with high idle (2,000rpm) and MIL on, We checked thru real-time and oh my lord! ETC is 50% throttle. We can't control to ETC thru laptop (OBDII) . We disconnect ETC from PCM then use our hand device to ETC and no problem with control. So we replaced the new PCM then flash it. Now IDLE is 700rpm and 10% throttle. Total $300 for PCM only. Just happen in 6 months ago. It was my interpreter's Buick. :)

Good thing I have cable throttle on my Honda. I wish they still used cable throttle because it's more reliable and much simple. I don't see anything wrong with having cable throttle. The issues with cable throttle CAN happen is like stuck throttle cable or snapped off cable.

I prefer cable throttle than "By wire" crap.

On other side, I can see its advantage which is in the event the vehicle is stolen, that technology can control by remote so that cop can safely stop the chasing.

Im sticking with the Jeep thing.

Good thing I have cable throttle on my Honda. I wish they still used cable throttle because it's more reliable and much simple. I don't see anything wrong with having cable throttle. The issues with cable throttle CAN happen is like stuck throttle cable or snapped off cable.

:laugh2::laugh2: You remind me from someone.

Dude walked in school's 88 Dodge shadow with manual. He started the engine and engine was ROAR like crazy. He was FREAKED OUT and shut it down. He walked out the car and he yelled "WHAT THE FUCK!?" So We checked the engine and we found throttle's spring was disconnect. That's mean throttle was WIDE open. I asked him how you feel when you start the engine? He said, "It fucking scary shit of me!"
:laugh2::laugh2:

98' Buick Century came with high idle (2,000rpm) and MIL on, We checked thru real-time and oh my lord! ETC is 50% throttle. We can't control to ETC thru laptop (OBDII) . We disconnect ETC from PCM then use our hand device to ETC and no problem with control. So we replaced the new PCM then flash it. Now IDLE is 700rpm and 10% throttle. Total $300 for PCM only. Just happen in 6 months ago. It was my interpreter's Buick. :)
ETC in a 1998 Buick Century? Cant be. Must be a 2003 or newer. I better check
with the repair information tmw. :wave:

Yeah, stuck throttle cable can be dangerous but not much. Snapped off cable? Yeah, I used to drove my ex vintage VW bus and bugs that broken or snapped throttle/clutch cables. I fixed them. I sold all VWs. I missed my ex '65 bus.

On other side, I can see its advantage which is in the event the vehicle is stolen, that technology can control by remote so that cop can safely stop the chasing.

The cabled throttle bodies for the 2010 or newer vehicles, will be gone. Damn. But the ETCs are more advantage over the cabled throttle bodies cuz they dont need cruise control box and IAC. The ETC in a place of the traditional
cabled throttle body, is reduce many wire harness.

:laugh2::laugh2: You remind me from someone.

Dude walked in school's 88 Dodge shadow with manual. He started the engine and engine was ROAR like crazy. He was FREAKED OUT and shut it down. He walked out the car and he yelled "WHAT THE FUCK!?" So We checked the engine and we found throttle's spring was disconnect. That's mean throttle was WIDE open. I asked him how you feel when you start the engine? He said, "It fucking scary shit of me!"
:laugh2::laugh2:

Haha, that's funny shit.

Yeah, stuck throttle cable can be dangerous but not much. Snapped off cable? Yeah, I used to drove my ex vintage VW bus and bugs that broken or snapped throttle/clutch cables. I fixed them. I sold all VWs. I missed my ex '65 bus.

Yeah, if it gets stuck....the car would keep on going by itself unless u turn off the engine or put it in netural and stop the car.

There are alot of advantages fly by wire has, smoother acceleration, rapid response, percision and more reliable cruise control-will even control speed going down steep hills. My jeep has the ability to switch from 8 cylinders to 4and back seemlesly becuase the computer controls the rpm to keep them from spiking-can't do that with a throttle cable.

Another great feature is, when in 4 wheel drive low and offroading, it prevents you from accidently giving it too much throttle if you hit a bump.

Now that I have ETC i don't think i will ever go back :)

Interesting, I am now remmy the idiot who tried to climb over huge rock with Grand Cherokee and it just fall backward for pressing too much gas. I can see plus side, hmmm :hmm:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDUyYBYScs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDUyYBYScs[/ame]

There are alot of advantages fly by wire has, smoother acceleration, rapid response, percision and more reliable cruise control-will even control speed going down steep hills. My jeep has the ability to switch from 8 cylinders to 4and back seemlesly becuase the computer controls the rpm to keep them from spiking-can't do that with a throttle cable.

Another great feature is, when in 4 wheel drive low and offroading, it prevents you from accidently giving it too much throttle if you hit a bump.

:gpost:

I believe deafsmogtech prefer easy repair over smooth drive.

Or it's idle controller. :dunno:
No ETC in a Century. I think you better stay at the automotive school to study
and lab work. No BS pls cuz I witness the vehicles everyday at the gas station
as I perform smog checks or bumper to bumper services or as a computer diagnostician.

No ETC in a Century. I think you better stay at the automotive school to study
and lab work. No BS pls cuz I witness the vehicles everyday at the gas station
as I perform smog checks or bumper to bumper services or as a computer diagnostician.

I just said, "Or it's idle controller. :dunno:" and you said NO ETC. :confused:

I was confused between idle controller and ETC because they are look almost same to me but I don't notice about size. I still in school.

Did I call you bs when you say obd II device handle do not have frame freeze data and remote start alarm may not work with PCM? :aw:

No one perfect.

Last edited:
Haha, that's funny shit.

Yeah, if it gets stuck....the car would keep on going by itself unless u turn off the engine or put it in netural and stop the car.

Happen to a vintage Mustang convertiable parked on the island pump that a motorist was tried to restart after refuel, asked for battery jump. My cashier guy loaned him a portable battery jump. I saw him to jump our portable battery jumper to his battery as I smogged the car, suddenly I feel massive loud sound like HD biker passed me something I quick look out at the pump island, oh gosh. I saw the dumber (Mustang driver) was in state of shock, didnt know what to do. My technician ran over his Mustang to pull a driver screw out of the carburetor to silence the motor down. My tech told me that the motorist inserted his driver screw into carburetor to open the butterfly throttle plate (WOT) to clear out the flood as he was about to restart. That was how the engine was very flare up. The motorists at the pumps got scary. LOL. The dumber embarrassed and drove away as the motorists and customers were staring at a dumber. LOL

Back