2008 jeep grand cherokee srt-8

deafsmogtech

Reaction score
I worked on a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 last week ago at the gas station for the front brake job. The RO invoice paper states "CUSTOMER REQUEST FRONT BRAKE ROTORS/PADS". Here is a nice detail of a 2008 Jeep
G-Cherokee SRT-8:
-Hemi 6.1L V8, handsome aluminum intake manifold, Electronic Throttle Control (ETC), 8 plug coils (twin plugs in one coil), 2- TWC (three way catalytic
converter) and 4 HO2S
-20 inch rims, real heavy wheel
-Front Brembo disc brake calipers, very lightest aluminum caliper, weight about 2 LBS.
-Big front rotors, size 14 inches diameter and 1.250 (1 1/4) thickness, found heavy scored on the surfaces of the rotors similar to MBZs/BMWs, replaced 2 new rotors/pads
-Blilstein struts on 4 corners, handsome AWD with aluminum front knuckles, front CV shafts
-4 link rear suspension with a long panhard link and aluminum driveshaft
- Easy access to serpentine belt under the vehicle better than remove air duct and fan shroud on the top
After the front brake job, I took it for road test. I cant believe that the 6.1 motor produces a lot of torque on the straight road, didnt rev up over 2500 RPM. The power and ride/handle charcartic that I describe it as a Vette, The
brake performance is incredible as the BMWs. I love it but I dislike ETC and AWD. I want to add this high performance Grand Cherokee SRT8 to my Xmas wish list. Hey the gas is horrible?? Not bother me. :cool2:

If u like old school, why dont u get the 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited? Hell, it was the GC SRT-8 in its day being 1998's most powerful SUV with the 360 Magnum motor and less tech headaches compared to the 2008 SRT-8 GC.

Yeah, I saw that on the highway on my way to work few weeks ago. It looks cool.

That Jeep needed brake work already? I guess that customer was racing it on the racetrack for fun.

Yea, thats why I love Jeep, the power and torque, its awesome.

My Cherokee and Wrangler is much lighter than Grand Cherokee, and got 4.0L, the power is unbelieveable. I can't stand driving GM SUV, because there is lack of power that Jeep has.

Gas? I know what your talking about.

My Cherokee and Wrangler is much lighter than Grand Cherokee, and got 4.0L, the power is unbelieveable. I can't stand driving GM SUV, because there is lack of power that Jeep has.

I go up a 8% incline often (4-5miles) my 94 cherokee with 276k miles goes up that mountain 90+ mph easily.

Nice torque in these beast =D

Yup, I wonder why stupid Chrysler quit making Cherokees, I believe it is one of best SUV.

We STILL have Cherokee (98) with 120K miles and running real strong so far. We have no desire selling it, been super dependable and I love it.

I go up a 8% incline often (4-5miles) my 94 cherokee with 276k miles goes up that mountain 90+ mph easily.

Nice torque in these beast =D

I worked on a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 last week ago at the gas station for the front brake job. The RO invoice paper states "CUSTOMER REQUEST FRONT BRAKE ROTORS/PADS". Here is a nice detail of a 2008 Jeep
G-Cherokee SRT-8:
-Hemi 6.1L V8, handsome aluminum intake manifold, Electronic Throttle Control (ETC), 8 plug coils (twin plugs in one coil), 2- TWC (three way catalytic
converter) and 4 HO2S
-20 inch rims, real heavy wheel
-Front Brembo disc brake calipers, very lightest aluminum caliper, weight about 2 LBS.
-Big front rotors, size 14 inches diameter and 1.250 (1 1/4) thickness, found heavy scored on the surfaces of the rotors similar to MBZs/BMWs, replaced 2 new rotors/pads
-Blilstein struts on 4 corners, handsome AWD with aluminum front knuckles, front CV shafts
-4 link rear suspension with a long panhard link and aluminum driveshaft
- Easy access to serpentine belt under the vehicle better than remove air duct and fan shroud on the top
After the front brake job, I took it for road test. I cant believe that the 6.1 motor produces a lot of torque on the straight road, didnt rev up over 2500 RPM. The power and ride/handle charcartic that I describe it as a Vette, The
brake performance is incredible as the BMWs. I love it but I dislike ETC and AWD. I want to add this high performance Grand Cherokee SRT8 to my Xmas wish list. Hey the gas is horrible?? Not bother me. :cool2:

Did you know AWD is better performance than 4x4. 4x4 need maintenance and 4x4's fluid smell AWFUL! AWD don't need maintenance. Oh yes, AWD is better fuel economy than 4x4.

ECT is better for cruise control, traction control, and stability control.

So you don't like AWD and ECT? What's wrong with you?

If u like old school, why dont u get the 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited? Hell, it was the GC SRT-8 in its day being 1998's most powerful SUV with the 360 Magnum motor and less tech headaches compared to the 2008 SRT-8 GC.

My friend's wife just send 1995 (not sure) Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 V8 Limited to cash for clunkers. It have lot problem with oil pump, cv joint, coolant leak, and fuel pump's motor. It was only 85,000 mileage. Are you sure about less tech headaches? I don't think so.

I tell you that I didnt know what is the SRT stand for? I ve been working on the Jeeps with any engines from 2.5L to 5.9L many times. I did drove them many times. I never see the older G- Cherokee SRT till I finally molested a 2008 SRT-8. Hey the 6.1L Hemi motor is not bad for aveage mechanics even weekend mechanics. The hemi shaped in combustion of the cylinder head is not true hemi. Thats what I learned. Dang. I believe the Hemi 5.7l or 6.1L are better than the 5.9L cuz they're modern technoloy.

Yeah, I saw that on the highway on my way to work few weeks ago. It looks cool.

That Jeep needed brake work already? I guess that customer was racing it on the racetrack for fun.
I saw the odometer in a 2008 G-C SRT 8, was 18,558 miles on clock. The customer of this SUV is a female driver. The front brake job costs $700.
Prices on 2 rotors is $450, Pads? $150 plus $100 labor. If she is a heavy brake abuser, pay $700 annually execpt rear brake works.

Right, w/o 4X4, they are easy to manuever on the corner or parking lot, not good in the playgound of the rocks and deep muddy. A 2008 GC SRT-8 is not
suit to the offroad, only on flat roads.

Did you know AWD is better performance than 4x4. 4x4 need maintenance and 4x4's fluid smell AWFUL! AWD don't need maintenance. Oh yes, AWD is better fuel economy than 4x4.

The 4X4 is heavy than AWD but they are superior to the rock climber, AWD dont. You're right the maintenace for AWD is very low. I'm not AWD or 4X4 SUV expert cuz I never been on the offroad with a 4X4 vehicle before.
Hey, ETC not ECT ( I thought you talk about Engine Coolant Temp), have 3 main reasons: safety, economy and emission. More vehicles are using wire throttle bodies than old fashion cable throttle. Dang wire throttle body is cuz the PCM control the throttle body not to driver. I want to control throttle by cable for accurate engine respones like you do drifting or something. ETC can make automatic tranny shifting smoother no matter what you drive on any condition of the roads (can be weather condition). I feel no upshifting or harsh shifting in tranny that controlled by ETC, even I cant feel the engine rev, like dead engine but I saw the rev on clock, wtf. I someday study the modern engines later. I'm an old school mechanic:dunno:

I saw the odometer in a 2008 G-C SRT 8, was 18,558 miles on clock. The customer of this SUV is a female driver. The front brake job costs $700.
Prices on 2 rotors is $450, Pads? $150 plus $100 labor. If she is a heavy brake abuser, pay $700 annually execpt rear brake works.

Damn!

The 4X4 is heavy than AWD but they are superior to the rock climber, AWD dont. You're right the maintenace for AWD is very low. I'm not AWD or 4X4 SUV expert cuz I never been on the offroad with a 4X4 vehicle before.
Hey, ETC not ECT ( I thought you talk about Engine Coolant Temp), have 3 main reasons: safety, economy and emission. More vehicles are using wire throttle bodies than old fashion cable throttle. Dang wire throttle body is cuz the PCM control the throttle body not to driver. I want to control throttle by cable for accurate engine respones like you do drifting or something. ETC can make automatic tranny shifting smoother no matter what you drive on any condition of the roads (can be weather condition). I feel no upshifting or harsh shifting in tranny that controlled by ETC, even I cant feel the engine rev, like dead engine but I saw the rev on clock, wtf. I someday study the modern engines later. I'm an old school mechanic:dunno:

Yes, I mean ETC. Mostly RALLY use ETC
[yt]HQ7R_buZPSo[/yt]

You are right about auto transmission. I like manual transmission over lazy auto transmission for better control on snow, race, etc. I thought you want high performance but you want rock climber. Rock climber don't really high performance. Just move slow and careful but high torque is must. If I want more torque then I will get diesel over gasoline for high torque.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVFY5CxT0]YouTube - Subaru AWD vs. Everyone Else[/ame]

Skip to 6:19 and watch whole about hill climb. :whistle:

Yeah, gear oil smells bad. It's typical. I've changed Gear oil on 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited axles.

Mine is just 4x4 and I like it when it become 2x2 until snow, mud or rain (on rain, if stopped up the hill on wet road, when you give it gas, it just spin tire, won't go up. cuz Liberty is light and didn't have much traction. Pull the lever to 4x4 and it'll go quickly :lol: ) I uses 4x4 when I need to.

Catty

Yes, I mean ETC. Mostly RALLY use ETC
[yt]HQ7R_buZPSo[/yt]

You are right about auto transmission. I like manual transmission over lazy auto transmission for better control on snow, race, etc. I thought you want high performance but you want rock climber. Rock climber don't really high performance. Just move slow and careful but high torque is must. If I want more torque then I will get diesel over gasoline for high torque.

YouTube - Subaru AWD vs. Everyone Else

Skip to 6:19 and watch whole about hill climb. :whistle:

I like to delete the AWD and ETC from a GC SRT-8 but can't do that cuz of the PCM. I'm stuck. The ETC system that bother me is safety issue. I feel the PCM maybe governor the engine speed if the Tire Pressure Monitor detects low pressure or flat tire(s), or over RPM limit, or malfunction ABS or tranny?
Thats why the ETC is designed to save the people's lives from the accidents.
I'm not sure if the ETC can be reprogrammable to match the driver's habit or taste.
I prefer a throttle cable over the wired throttle bodies as I can control the engine speed.

I like to delete the AWD and ETC from a GC SRT-8 but can't do that cuz of the PCM. I'm stuck. The ETC system that bother me is safety issue. I feel the PCM maybe governor the engine speed if the Tire Pressure Monitor detects low pressure or flat tire(s), or over RPM limit, or malfunction ABS or tranny?
Thats why the ETC is designed to save the people's lives from the accidents.
I'm not sure if the ETC can be reprogrammable to match the driver's habit or taste.
I prefer a throttle cable over the wired throttle bodies as I can control the engine speed.

If you want driver's habit or taste or control the engine speed then get the manual transmission. Just give up auto transmission. :D I hate auto transmission because it's control car, not me.

Why were computers put on cars?

1. Improved emissions.
2. Fuel efficiency
3. Better drivability.

I thought you care of emission. :)

Did you know that PCM's governor will disable speed limit when you are in race track?
Check this video out [yt]Rkka092zXV4[/yt]

Also I LOVE PCM because I can read WHP, torque, Throttle %, lat accel, boost, IM pressure, In. temp, MAF rate, fuel trim (SB1), (SB2),(LB1),(LB2) baromter, fuel pressure, fuel level, engine load, timing advance, ECT, and EVAP pressure thru my iPod Touch with KIWI WIFI obd II.
23k2gqs.jpg

PCM RULES!

Without PCM then spend more time to use old school tool like fuel pressure gauge, vacuum gauge, digital multimeter, and other.

I learned a lot from modern and old school engine. I know old school is very easy to repair but I like to take challenge! Sometime modern run better than old school like old school's fuel injector and ignition coil get fail then break down but modern's fuel injectors and coil-on-plug get fail but STILL RUN and engine light on to let you to know.

So why you don't like modern engine?

My friend's wife just send 1995 (not sure) Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 V8 Limited to cash for clunkers. It have lot problem with oil pump, cv joint, coolant leak, and fuel pump's motor. It was only 85,000 mileage. Are you sure about less tech headaches? I don't think so.
Sadly to see the Jeep GC, 5.9 V8's life is short, 85k miles on it? Well, sounds famailar to me when I worked on the Jeeps many times. I've seen oil leakings from the oil filter adapter housings where the 'O' seal in the housings, became harden seal common on the 4 or 6 or 8 cylinder engines. Also oil leakings from the v/c or oil pan gaskets and crankshaft seals, that were caused by plugged PCV systems. Most coolant leaks came from the water pumps that I often replaced them same time as the thermostat replaced. Some coolant leaks from timing covers (corroded gaskets). Few torn CV boots in the fronts. Very few fuel pump failures that were caused by plugged fuel filters. Oil pump? I never see a single oil pump failure in any Jeeps of my mechanic years.

Sadly to see the Jeep GC, 5.9 V8's life is short, 85k miles on it? Well, sounds famailar to me when I worked on the Jeeps many times. I've seen oil leakings from the oil filter adapter housings where the 'O' seal in the housings, became harden seal common on the 4 or 6 or 8 cylinder engines. Also oil leakings from the v/c or oil pan gaskets and crankshaft seals, that were caused by plugged PCV systems. Most coolant leaks came from the water pumps that I often replaced them same time as the thermostat replaced. Some coolant leaks from timing covers (corroded gaskets). Few torn CV boots in the fronts. Very few fuel pump failures that were caused by plugged fuel filters. Oil pump? I never see a single oil pump failure in any Jeeps of my mechanic years.

Maybe bad gasket, I mean leak oil from oil pump or something but friend don't bother to fix it anymore.

If you want driver's habit or taste or control the engine speed then get the manual transmission. Just give up auto transmission. :D I hate auto transmission because it's control car, not me.

Why were computers put on cars?

1. Improved emissions.
2. Fuel efficiency
3. Better drivability.

I thought you care of emission. :)

Did you know that PCM's governor will disable speed limit when you are in race track?
Check this video out [yt]Rkka092zXV4[/yt]

Also I LOVE PCM because I can read WHP, torque, Throttle %, lat accel, boost, IM pressure, In. temp, MAF rate, fuel trim (SB1), (SB2),(LB1),(LB2) baromter, fuel pressure, fuel level, engine load, timing advance, ECT, and EVAP pressure thru my iPod Touch with KIWI WIFI obd II.
23k2gqs.jpg

PCM RULES!

Without PCM then spend more time to use old school tool like fuel pressure gauge, vacuum gauge, digital multimeter, and other.

I learned a lot from modern and old school engine. I know old school is very easy to repair but I like to take challenge! Sometime modern run better than old school like old school's fuel injector and ignition coil get fail then break down but modern's fuel injectors and coil-on-plug get fail but STILL RUN and engine light on to let you to know.

So why you don't like modern engine?
Hey, I say I dont like ETC not PCM. Understand? I agree with your mention, I say about the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) that I had some experince with the ETCs on the newer vehicles that I noticed the engine won't respone or pick up the speed when you accelerate the pedal about 25% or more after exit from the gas station or from the stop only turn on left or right corners. You see the post #4 by diehardbiker, mentioned about the GM SUV, is that I think it is ETC same happen to me before, I drove a 2005 Chevy Tahoe AWD with a 5.3L V8, on the straight road for road test (customer complaints no power), found the engine won't flare up when I accelerated the pedal about 50 to 75% when exited from the gas station, the engine will pick up the speed after back off pedal and re accelerate. Complicate. I told a customer to take it to the dealer for the ETC issue. I drove a MBZ or BMW
with ETC, there were no driveability problems. Thats why I negative with the ETC. I stay with the cabled throttle body.

Back