William Shatner Feels 'Awful' He's Unable To Attend Leonard Nimoy's Funeral

The Joker

Reaction score
William Shatner sent out a series of Tweets on Saturday expressing his grief over the loss of one his "dearest friends," Leonard Nimoy.

Sadly, due to a prior commitment that poses a scheduling conflict, Shatner is unable to attend Nimoy's funeral on Sunday.

"I am currently in FL as I agreed to appear at the Red Cross Ball tonight. Leonard's funeral is tomorrow. I can't make it back in time," he explained, adding in another Tweet, "I feel really awful. Here I am doing charity work and one of my dearest friends is being buried."

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/william-shatner-feels-awful-hes-unable-attend-leonard-194211168.html

So,You rather make money than attend your friends funeral? :roll:

William Shatner sent out a series of Tweets on Saturday expressing his grief over the loss of one his "dearest friends," Leonard Nimoy.

Sadly, due to a prior commitment that poses a scheduling conflict, Shatner is unable to attend Nimoy's funeral on Sunday.

"I am currently in FL as I agreed to appear at the Red Cross Ball tonight. Leonard's funeral is tomorrow. I can't make it back in time," he explained, adding in another Tweet, "I feel really awful. Here I am doing charity work and one of my dearest friends is being buried."

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/william-shatner-feels-awful-hes-unable-attend-leonard-194211168.html

So,You rather make money than attend your friends funeral? :roll:

He's raising money for a charity. It's a tough decision to make.

So you're friends aren't more important than some charity.:roll:

:roll:..Say what?...seems ur trying to pick a fight here...Charity Ball for the Red Cross is a very important function that he had a prior commitment to attend to raise $$....There may be a time when you will need the Red Cross...They help people world-wide....Plus, he sent his consoldents....it's not like his father/mother died...and moreso likely he will send flowers in lieu of him not being able to attend....

Helping people in disaster is more important. Nothing can be done for Nimoy now as he is dead.

Known to be a kind and compassionate man in life, I have a strong belief he would be glad to see his friend out doing good works to aid the living at the expense of attending a funeral.

Both men are Jewish and Jewish law dictates that the burial take place quickly after death. In all likelihood, Shatner had no way of getting there on time, so he'd leave the charity empty and not reach the funeral on time to see his friend off. Shatner has a chance to do something good for others in need which is the best way to pay tribute to Nimoy.

Laura

True friends don't need a funeral to show respect. Respect is given by true friends throughout a lifetime, not just one day.

I bet you that Leonard would say to William "Please don't leave the charity and help poor people in need". William would say the same thing to him if he died before Leonard.

It's not that easy to get out of some commitments either- sometimes there is a contract stating he must be there. And as others said- the time is too short for him to get there in time. Unfortunately it happens. I was not able to attend many relatives' funerals over the last 10 years (including my grandparents) because the timing was never right- I was either in another state or had just started a new job. Does that make me a bad relative? No even though it hurts me to not have had a chance to be there.

So don't tell me 'what's more important' Joker. The friendship and lifetime of knowing Nimoy and his work is what matters to Shatner and I am sure he has taken other measures to pay his respects. so quit with the eye rolling.

i missed my mom's funeral because of black out days in december but i visited her at her hospice before her passing. my brothers and sister accepted my excuse for not pay a visit for her funeral.

1ff734ea094c3ed688d46f047627883f.jpg

spock-meme-no-signs-of-intelligent-life-500x353.jpg

If someone is unable to attend funeral, they can also send flowers to funeral home or donate money to their charity out of respect of the deceased. Not everyone can attend funeral for conflict of plans. Celebrities are busy these days and they may not have time to attend friend's funeral or weddings for that matter. I think William did the right thing with the twitter tribute to Nimoy. He is being honest about not being able to attend and being emotional.

I am fairly certain Leonard Nimoy would want William Shatner to help people. Besides, William Shatner already attended Spock's funeral once:

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few .... or the needs of one" - Spock

The OP hasn't returned to this thread....hmmm

I know he will visit his burial at a different time. agree with what vacation guys quote about true friends who do understand.

William can go to the Unveiling/Dedication of the Marker on the first anniversary of his friend death to pay his respect . People that can't made it to a Jewish funeral will go to the first anniversary . We did an Unveiling/Dedication of my dad headstone people were welcome to join us.

If someone is unable to attend funeral, they can also send flowers to funeral home or donate money to their charity out of respect of the deceased. Not everyone can attend funeral for conflict of plans. Celebrities are busy these days and they may not have time to attend friend's funeral or weddings for that matter. I think William did the right thing with the twitter tribute to Nimoy. He is being honest about not being able to attend and being emotional.

Well Thats ok,,If you're unable to attend send the family flowers that they know you remember him.

Back