Why would people want their children to be deaf?

I think, though, deaf or HOH or hearing, that whatever way you are born is just how you are. That's my baby. Imperfections and all. He is him. And I love him more than I could have imagined.

:applause:

I probably never understand you for your "anti-disability" or "anti-abnormal" views. If my child is blind, let be so. If my child is in a wheelchair, fine with me. 'Cause I frankly don't care as long as my child is healthy and well. That's what matter to me. Sure, it may be hard for me and my family but I feel it is worth experience.

Of course, I know people still want to have a "prefect" child... Hell, most people want a "normal" life, anyway! But if there is no people with disabilities or whoever person may be, I seriously doubt there will have the patience in our home planet. So I ask you something. What about Little People? Are they not so normal, aren't they? Really... Why are you value the normal-ism and ability so much?

You just go through all thread and pick out one post and clip it out then try to make me look like I am anti-disability.
I have stated in two or three posts that if I was ever to have a child, I'll accept them for as whatever they are. But if give a chance to ensure the child will be born deaf, no I wouldn't do it.

You just go through all thread and pick out one post and clip it out then try to make me look like I am anti-disability.

No. 'Cause of your strong negative on deafness in your posts that is what I read. This thread and in another threads... Sorry if I "made" you as a "horrible person" (or something), through I did say your views. Not you as a person...

I have stated in two or three posts that if I was ever to have a child, I'll accept them for as whatever they are. But if give a chance to ensure the child will be born deaf, no I wouldn't do it.

I did read your posts in here... I just saw one of your posts that I just disagreed about "unwanted" blindness or wheelchair...

No. 'Cause of your strong negative on deafness in your posts that is what I read. This thread and in another threads... Sorry if I "made" you as a "horrible person" (or something), through I did say your views. Not you as a person...

I did read your posts in here... I just saw one of your posts that I just disagreed about "unwanted" blindness or wheelchair...

You want to talk to me about my negative on deafness? Start a new thread or send me a PM then and we can talk. This is a question about why some people want their child to be deaf, not my feeling toward deafness.

I have respected others view and not put anyone down for their view. So I expect the same in return. Thanks.

... You said: "Shel... Let me ask you something... If your child can be blind and in a wheel chair, would you pick that for your child? I bet you'd scream NO!!! Without hesitate. However there are some couple out there who want nothing more than for their child to be deaf. I want to know why they would want that." Right after, you asked a question in your first post... But you have to realize this forum is open... Now, there's something I don't get it. You just told me off and demand me to respect you? I mean, what? :confused:

Well, okay. You said for it. I'm done here. Good day.

Now, there's something I don't get it. You just told me off and demand me to respect you? I mean, what? :confused:

Well, okay. You said for it. I'm done here. Good day.
Kind of like a wild bronco rode into town, you know?

Well, I'm buying at the bar. Let's head over there. :wave:

I don't understand what you are implying about a child being born deaf but you would not do it. Does that mean you would not accept a deaf child from birth? Are you talking about CI? Can you explain what you are trying to say to get us understand what you are saying? It does not make any sense on that bolded statement. :hmm:

I don't understand what you are implying about a child being born deaf but you would not do it. Does that mean you would not accept a deaf child from birth? Are you talking about CI? Can you explain what you are trying to say to get us understand what you are saying? It does not make any sense on that bolded statement. :hmm:

I think he is saying that he would accept a child either way, but if he had the choice as to whether his child were deaf or hearing, he would not choose for the child to be deaf.

BLAH been there done it. If I change anything, I'd be too old to join by then and even if I can join, I'd be put in non combat position. NO way!

The whole point of advocacy is that you are trying to make things better for those ahead of us. Maybe you're just too selfish to be an advocate. That's okay. I guess.

Exactly. That's what I say about deafness. It will stop you from do something just like as many other things (asthmas and bad joints is one example) but you move on and find other thing to do with your life.
However people who scream "DEAF CAN DO ANYTHING!" are naive.

*YOU* are naive. If you really want Deaf people to have a chance in Special Forces you would be advocate. No, maybe you won't be young enough for them to accept you but you *COULD* pave the way for other Deaf comrades. Maybe you're too selfish to think of it that way but you *could* be making a difference. You seem well spoken and passionate enough but you only worry about yourself. :shock:

Very well said! I am a hearing parent of a 9-month-old boy who is supposedly HOH. I say supposedly because his tests have been very inconsistent, but he does wear HAs at this point. We are getting a third ABR soon.

Anyway, as a hearing parent with not much prior exposure to deaf or hard of hearing kids, I find it hard to accept the diagnosis, I admit (have to edit here and say that I DO NOT resent my child or think he is "broken" in any way...if anything, he is my favorite!). It isn't the extra doctor appointments or the fact that he has hearing aids or may need speech therapy, or anything to do with HIM. It is that I fear how kids will treat him in school, how adults will treat him later, etc. I don't want him to experience an ounce of sadness over his hearing loss, and that is what is hard for me. I also think about the fact that when he's taking a bath and playing with his brothers and his aids are out that he can't hear everything :( Breaks my heart. But I also know that he knows no different, and this is all probably going to be a lot harder on me than him.

At this point, if we ever had another child, which we are considering, it would almost be a blessing for it to be HOH, in a way. I feel like at least he wouldn't be the different one in the family and that he would have a brother or sister who was just like him, someone to understand and go through it with.

I think, though, deaf or HOH or hearing, that whatever way you are born is just how you are. That's my baby. Imperfections and all. He is him. And I love him more than I could have imagined.

That was *SO* beautiful!! <waaah>

*YOU* are naive. If you really want Deaf people to have a chance in Special Forces you would be advocate. No, maybe you won't be young enough for them to accept you but you *COULD* pave the way for other Deaf comrades. Maybe you're too selfish to think of it that way but you *could* be making a difference. You seem well spoken and passionate enough but you only worry about yourself. :shock:

Nope I'm not naive. I have a reason for not advocating.

Selfish? At least I don't choose to have a family. So you might want to worry more about someone who might be selfish and have a family or want to have one.

Last edited:
I have respected others view and not put anyone down for their view. So I expect the same in return. Thanks.
Oh? You stumbled into this site and demand respect, but shown none to anyone. You start a thread and whine when people take a look but don't reply. You trolled me and other Christians. You even have a souvenir from the thread, still trying to troll me with it. You forgot to include the last part, where I say "And I just walk away" I find it indicates your purpose here, as I stated before. Just a person that gets kicks out of internet fights. Have fun. These people are educated, not your run of the mill types you might have expected. They will either shun you, as I have, or rip you to shreds. :wave:

Very well said! I am a hearing parent of a 9-month-old boy who is supposedly HOH. I say supposedly because his tests have been very inconsistent, but he does wear HAs at this point. We are getting a third ABR soon.

Anyway, as a hearing parent with not much prior exposure to deaf or hard of hearing kids, I find it hard to accept the diagnosis, I admit (have to edit here and say that I DO NOT resent my child or think he is "broken" in any way...if anything, he is my favorite!). It isn't the extra doctor appointments or the fact that he has hearing aids or may need speech therapy, or anything to do with HIM. It is that I fear how kids will treat him in school, how adults will treat him later, etc. I don't want him to experience an ounce of sadness over his hearing loss, and that is what is hard for me. I also think about the fact that when he's taking a bath and playing with his brothers and his aids are out that he can't hear everything :( Breaks my heart. But I also know that he knows no different, and this is all probably going to be a lot harder on me than him.

At this point, if we ever had another child, which we are considering, it would almost be a blessing for it to be HOH, in a way. I feel like at least he wouldn't be the different one in the family and that he would have a brother or sister who was just like him, someone to understand and go through it with.

I know how you feel because I have a deaf brother and I feel so lucky to have him as we are the only ones deaf in our family. We are sooooo close. I have 4 other brothers who are hearing and I am not really close with them but I think it is more due to the age differences. I am at least 16 years or more older than all of them except for my deaf brother whom I am only about 4 years older than.

Oh? You stumbled into this site and demand respect, but shown none to anyone. You start a thread and whine when people take a look but don't reply. You trolled me and other Christians. You even have a souvenir from the thread, still trying to troll me with it. You forgot to include the last part, where I say "And I just walk away" I find it indicates your purpose here, as I stated before. Just a person that gets kicks out of internet fights. Have fun. These people are educated, not your run of the mill types you might have expected. They will either shun you, as I have, or rip you to shreds. :wave:

:gpost:

Well it stopped me from being in the military with like 90% of my high school friends who was in ROTC. Even if the military somehow end up decide to let me in, they will never let me in Special Force. Now do you want to tell me my deafness hasn't stopped me?

Oh, stop with the pity party, will you? I was born with a hole in my spine that was closed when I was two days old. I've endured more in my life time than most could dream of. Is there things I can't do because I was born paralyzed? Sure, but, do I worry about it? NO! Being deaf is the least of it, my friend. Sure, there may be some things you're not able to do and society doesn't make life easy for the deaf or people like me, but if you always look at the negative you'll never appreciate what you have and what you CAN do.

Stop pitying yourself and take a good look around. Get involved in your local deaf community. Learn sign (if you don't know it already). You may just find that people will support you, but I gotta say your attitude stinks! You gotta work on that ....and fast.

Oh, stop with the pity party, will you? I was born with a hole in my spine that was closed when I was two days old. I've endured more in my life time than most could dream of. Is there things I can't do because I was born paralyzed? Sure, but, do I worry about it? NO! Being deaf is the least of it, my friend. Sure, there may be some things you're not able to do and society doesn't make life easy for the deaf or people like me, but if you always look at the negative you'll never appreciate what you have and what you CAN do.

Stop pitying yourself and take a good look around. Get involved in your local deaf community. Learn sign (if you don't know it already). You may just find that people will support you, but I gotta say your attitude stinks! You gotta work on that ....and fast.

Well said OB! :h5:

Back