Why did you choose to have a CI?

Also, in the positive view, CI is the best option for music, listening a word cearly, and some reasons. That's why I was truly wanted it for that reasons..

If the reason you wanted to persue a CI was to get better music perception then if you had gotten the implant and recieved only that benefit from it the implant would have been a success for you. It's as simple as that. If an indivicdual gets the benefit they were looking for the implant is a success, music in your case, regardless of whether or not they can hear on the phone or talk to someone around a corner.

If the reason you wanted to persue a CI was to get better music perception then if you had gotten the implant and recieved only that benefit from it the implant would have been a success for you. It's as simple as that. If an indivicdual gets the benefit they were looking for the implant is a success, music in your case, regardless of whether or not they can hear on the phone or talk to someone around a corner.

Jag, I agree with you but it just seems to me that if the recipient did, in fact, get the music appreciation he/she was seeking, that he/she got a lot of other incidental benefits of the implantation. Wouldn't you say? I mean I don't know because I don't have a CI but the satisfaction derived from something as complex as music, I would think, would have benefits elsewhere, too.

Jag, I agree with you but it just seems to me that if the recipient did, in fact, get the music appreciation he/she was seeking, that he/she got a lot of other incidental benefits of the implantation. Wouldn't you say? I mean I don't know because I don't have a CI but the satisfaction derived from something as complex as music, I would think, would have benefits elsewhere, too.

Actually, speech comprehension is the most complex thing one can do with hearing. Music is music whether one is trained or not. One can enjoy it one way or the other. Being trained in music simply means one can follow the complexities in music better (i.e., listen to melody, harmony, scales, and etc.).

As a general rule though, I have to agree that one would think there are other benefits if one get music appreciation.

True but what was wanted in this case seemed to be the ability to hear music. That you would hear much more is to me pretty much a given. But if all a person who wanted music got was music then the CI was a success.

As being an lifelong HOHer getting a CI a couple of years ago...

Speak for yourself but if you don't have a CI, you have no clue what you are talking about. Maybe a few don't hear better but the majority do! I know three people with a CI and ran into one or two others I don't know with a CI and they all hear better than before.

Yeah, that's depend on each person. :)

I know I personally hear so much better that it has opened so many doors for me. One of my favorite ones is finally being able to justify having a cell phone and using it a great deal. Another one is understanding over 90% of conference calls.

Yes, a few friends with CI told me the same thing as you said so. It's an another positive about it, too. :D

Oops, it looks like some posters mistook this thread for the "why I would not want a CI" thread? Here is the link to the thread created especially for those who want to share as to why they would not opt for one http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/46471-why-would-you-not-choose-ci.html

yeah.. thanks for this. Yesterday, I realized it so I post it immediately to change the subject because I was just visited and to catch my friend, puyo, but i dont really attention what is the tread is about.. oops.. haha :giggle:

i will visit there soon after i post a few comments here (ofc, without insulting/rudeness I aware that).

Yes, excatly. Now, I have no interest for CI but I can tell there are some positive views about it. Of course, it is really great for deaf/hoh people too. :)

anyway, i'd better go to other thread.

Tousi,

Basically, I went for the implant for music. I grew up loving music and wanting to be a singer. This is when I was hearing lol. But over the years even though I could no longer pursue a singing career, I never stopped loving music and listening to it and singing along.

Although dont ever listen to me sing cause I cant carry a tune anymore to save my life lol.

Faced with the prospect of never hearing another sound again much less my beloved music. I chose to go the implant route. The only thing I really hoped to gain from it was being able to hear music.

Well I can, so I consider my CI a success based on just that. Speech recognition is still a long long way off for me. Although improving by the day.The other sounds I gained from the CI was just an added bonus for me.

Does this answer your question?

I decided to get mine because I grew up with hearing aids and i wanted to see if i could hear any more than hearing aids. and I did, i could hear cat purring, bird singing, the chatters of people and children were more clearer than hearing aids.
Also 3 summers ago I was having troubles (before i accepted my bipolar) and blamed the deaf community for destroying my life and i was fed up with it and stuff, so I wanted to get out of the deaf world, but it never happened lol.

I first thought about it 3 summers ago when I was in the mental hospital and researched it for like 3 or 4 months which brought me to this forum, and i decided to go for testing and after a year of appts and stuff they said yes i am a candidate so i went in for surgery. But I never did get out of the deaf community as I still love my friends and stuff. so I am still in deaf world and now starting to go in hearing world (not by much tho lol)

I decided to get mine because I grew up with hearing aids and i wanted to see if i could hear any more than hearing aids. and I did, i could hear cat purring, bird singing, the chatters of people and children were more clearer than hearing aids.
Also 3 summers ago I was having troubles (before i accepted my bipolar) and blamed the deaf community for destroying my life and i was fed up with it and stuff, so I wanted to get out of the deaf world, but it never happened lol.

I first thought about it 3 summers ago when I was in the mental hospital and researched it for like 3 or 4 months which brought me to this forum, and i decided to go for testing and after a year of appts and stuff they said yes i am a candidate so i went in for surgery. But I never did get out of the deaf community as I still love my friends and stuff. so I am still in deaf world and now starting to go in hearing world (not by much tho lol)

I want to thank you for sharing your story, because it is such a good example of still having the deaf community as a support system with a CI, and how valuable it is to have that support system.

yeah.. thanks for this. Yesterday, I realized it so I post it immediately to change the subject because I was just visited and to catch my friend, puyo, but i dont really attention what is the tread is about.. oops.. haha :giggle:

i will visit there soon after i post a few comments here (ofc, without insulting/rudeness I aware that).

LOL! No worries :)

Back