Why did you choose to have a CI?

Yeah, I guess I don't sound like one...eh? Had to wrestle lots of alligators to get where I wanted to be. Been there and done that. I count my blessings everyday.

Thanks.

I don't sound like a prelingual myself. LOL, I can believe you had to wrestle a lot of those gators to get where you wanted to be. The only sign that I'm a prelingal speech wise is the fact I can't pronouce the letter r in some words.

I don't sound like a prelingual myself. LOL, I can believe you had to wrestle a lot of those gators to get where you wanted to be. The only sign that I'm a prelingal speech wise is the fact I can't pronouce the letter r in some words.

That is great you do so well! Don't worry about the 'r's as you may well overcome that. It took me until I was in high school to finally conquer the 'p' sound in certain words. Since then, nobody usually has a clue that I'm deaf and that has become especially true since my CI.

Yeah, like you I usually can tell where sounds are coming from with one CI. It is funny how one can use brute logic (becomes natural) to figure this out. I will admit there are times that having a "second ear" would really help. But it isn't often enough for me to be tempted to get a second one. I suspect it will be technology (better sound fidelity...now that would be tempting) that will get me thinking about it not the echolocation aspect.

Nods, I learned how with my HA before I got implanted. For example, I used to bike a lot and I learned to tell which direction where the car is coming from. If I look up the road and I see no oncoming car in that direction, then the car is likely to be behind me and about five feet away from me or less. I couldn't hear cars unless they were very close to me with my HA. I wonder what the distance would be with the CI.

I also can tell the location of sirens because I live only 30 feet away from a very busy street. Traffic is so constant that it isnt hard to figure out the location. There's a building that has been a restruant, a bar and other stuff and there's always sirens going off at that building's parking lot.

However, I must note that there are times when I which I could have the stero effect. That's a major reason why I want a second implanation. I've heard sounds are richer... and it'd be good to listen to music with my right ear. My right ear was always the better one for listening to music.

The reason I got my first CI was because I no longer benefited from a hearing aid. I was born deaf in both ears, started wearing hearing aids at 3 years old in my left ear and then in my right ear from the age of 10.

In 2005, my residual hearing suddenly decreased without warning and I developed recruitment, which made wearing a hearing aid painful and very uncomfortable. I went to my audie and she said to have a break from my hearing aids for a month and she was quite confident my hearing would come back. But it didn't and that was when we started the process for a CI.

The time between losing my hearing and having the CI activated (9 months) was a huge struggle and I was exhausted every single day. I think that because I had worn hearing aids from the age of 3, my brain was geared to receiving sound and it was constantly looking for it! It might explain why I got terrible tinnitus afterwards, it was probably my brain making up sound as it went along LOL!

The CI has made a big difference to the way I feel generally energy levelswise and to my confidence, even compared to when I could benefit with aids.

Main reason - Curiousity. That's mine.

I'm not trying to sound rude here or that I am bashing you. I am asking out of general curiosity here.

I am very suprised they would implant you out of curiousity alone? I would think just being curious would not be a good enough answer to get one. When I went for my evaluation, I was asked about reason I want one, expectations, and how I planned to acheive my expectations?

It just weird to me that they are implanting on curiosity alone! Wow!

I'm not trying to sound rude here or that I am bashing you. I am asking out of general curiosity here.

I am very suprised they would implant you out of curiousity alone? I would think just being curious would not be a good enough answer to get one. When I went for my evaluation, I was asked about reason I want one, expectations, and how I planned to acheive my expectations?

It seems that each implant center has different policies, perhaps?

Man, I wish I had 50-75 thousand dollars to satiate some of my curiosities! Lol...

Haha my health insurance cover it 100% so I got it free.

I never heard that the hostipal act picking about people who look for the surgery!

What I told the doctor when he asked me why do I want the CI, I told him:

"Because I want to learn what it's like to hear".

And plus audiologist said that my equalvant(sp?) are qualify for the CI.

So that is how I got my CI.

I see the CI just like a breast implant surgery, not a "cure". Some of women want the breast implant just because they want to look better right? How about those women suffered by breast cancer? Should the hostipal decide ONLY women with breast cancer can have breast implant? Of course not. The CI is the same.

People have rights to choose whatever they want.

It seems that each implant center has different policies, perhaps?

Sorry I haven't heard such like policies over the CI but only test if the deafies are qualify.

Haha my health insurance cover it 100% so I got it free.

I never heard that the hostipal act picking about people who look for the surgery!

What I told the doctor when he asked me why do I want the CI, I told him:

"Because I want to learn what it's like to hear".

And plus audiologist said that my equalvant(sp?) are qualify for the CI.

So that is how I got my CI.

I see the CI just like a breast implant surgery, not a "cure". Some of women want the breast implant just because they want to look better right? How about those women suffered by breast cancer? Should the hostipal decide ONLY women with breast cancer can have breast implant? Of course not. The CI is the same.

People have rights to choose whatever they want.

Sorry I haven't heard such like policies over the CI but only test if the deafies are qualify.

Sorry puyopiyo,

I did not mean to offend you, I was just curious about that. You are the first one to ever say it was strictly out of curiousity. Was kinda suprised that you were able to get one simply cause you were curious.

I learned something new. LOL. I don't have a problem with you getting one. Remember, I too, am a Ci user. I support CI's in adults. Not in children, but in adults.

However, I also respect the fact that the implanted child is not my own, so therefore none of my beeswax what the parents do. I can not support it but still respect it.

I guess we all have different views and reasons for being implanted and I think calmly discussed threads such as this one and why you wouldnt chose one is very needed for anyone deciding on the CI journey.

Sorry puyopiyo,

I did not mean to offend you, I was just curious about that. You are the first one to ever say it was strictly out of curiousity. Was kinda suprised that you were able to get one simply cause you were curious.

Ohh don't worry about it :) And me too, I am sorry for taking your post so serious.

I learned something new. LOL. I don't have a problem with you getting one. Remember, I too, am a Ci user. I support CI's in adults. Not in children, but in adults.

Ohh you have CI too? That's awesome :) Yeah me too, I don't support implanting on children, only for adults.

However, I also respect the fact that the implanted child is not my own, so therefore none of my beeswax what the parents do. I can not support it but still respect it.

*sigh* Yeah, there is nothing we can do whatever parents want to do with their children.. I am in the same mind as you.

I guess we all have different views and reasons for being implanted and I think calmly discussed threads such as this one and why you wouldnt chose one is very needed for anyone deciding on the CI journey.

Yupp we all have different views why should we choose the CI or not. Some people don't want CI or some people want one, it's just individual's choice.

Ohh don't worry about it :) And me too, I am sorry for taking your post so serious.

Ohh you have CI too? That's awesome :) Yeah me too, I don't support implanting on children, only for adults.

*sigh* Yeah, there is nothing we can do whatever parents want to do with their children.. I am in the same mind as you.

Yupp we all have different views why should we choose the CI or not. Some people don't want CI or some people want one, it's just individual's choice.

aww hugs PuyoPiyo,

I know sometimes, when posting things are not always easily expressed through the written word. It is much easier face to face as you would have been able to read the curiousity on my face. Through typing its hard to read that. So you are naturally forgiven and it's not your fault.

I worn hearing aids ever since I was four and there is so many probable theories why I lost my hearing that it is impossible to pick one. I had to stop wearing a hearing aid in my left ear because I was not getting any benefit whatsoever. Last year, I pondering the idea to get a CI because my hearing was declining, I was suffering from ridiculous episodes of tinnitus that muffle everything. It wasn't until I awoken from a deviated septum surgery and I couldn't hear a darn thing, that I really contemplated it. I was faced with the reality of becoming completely deaf for the first time in my life. I lost the ability to use the phone in a matter of a couple hours. So many thoughts ran through my head, my job, my family, my friends, school. It really scared me because I have a family depending on me for income, food, roof above their heads. I decided at that point to get my worst ear implanted, one that I have not heard anything out of for 15 years. I had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

aww hugs PuyoPiyo,

I know sometimes, when posting things are not always easily expressed through the written word. It is much easier face to face as you would have been able to read the curiousity on my face. Through typing its hard to read that. So you are naturally forgiven and it's not your fault.

Yupp Yupp *hugs* :)

I don't have one but IF I had one my answer would be this:
to hear better :)

Fuzzy

I don't have one but IF I had one my answer would be this:
to hear better :)

Fuzzy

that's not a bad reason to want to be implanted. But to hear better normally takes a lot of work. Very rarely is it as magical as putting on the processor at activation and be able to hear someone talking right then and there.

While there are some of us that had that success, not everyone does. And you say to hear better, but what is it you hope to hear with a CI? Some people may only gain enviromental sounds, while others could gain very good hearing with it.

And sadly, you may get one to hear better only to find out that it doesnt work for you.

But if you ever do decide to go for one, I wish you well on your journey and good luck. I would also wish you to the dark side haha.

I believe most of us implanted had the goal of hearing better. My goal was to be able to hear my music again. And I got that, so mine was successful. Each of us determines success in different ways as well.

Someone else could say, yeah but can you talk on a phone yet? And I would say no, and that person would say then your not a success story yet. So sucess is all about perception.

All in all, I can say I don't regret getting implanted. Would I do it again? No for many reasons.

that's not a bad reason to want to be implanted. But to hear better normally takes a lot of work. Very rarely is it as magical as putting on the processor at activation and be able to hear someone talking right then and there.

While there are some of us that had that success, not everyone does. And you say to hear better, but what is it you hope to hear with a CI? Some people may only gain enviromental sounds, while others could gain very good hearing with it.

And sadly, you may get one to hear better only to find out that it doesnt work for you.

But if you ever do decide to go for one, I wish you well on your journey and good luck. I would also wish you to the dark side haha.

I believe most of us implanted had the goal of hearing better. My goal was to be able to hear my music again. And I got that, so mine was successful. Each of us determines success in different ways as well.

Someone else could say, yeah but can you talk on a phone yet? And I would say no, and that person would say then your not a success story yet. So sucess is all about perception.

All in all, I can say I don't regret getting implanted. Would I do it again? No for many reasons.

Thanks for your honesty because when I share my experiences of working with children who werent able to recieve the kind of benefits from their CIs that the parents expected, it seems like some people dont believe me.

Thanks for your honesty because when I share my experiences of working with children who werent able to recieve the kind of benefits from their CIs that the parents expected, it seems like some people dont believe me.

If you mean me, I believe you.
But I am also saying there must be reasons why there weren't benefits received, and this may not neccessarily be CI's fault.

Fuzzy

I was aware of that the moment I read Beverly Biderman's book.

That would be awful.

I am curious what are your reasons? Hope you don't mind to share.

Fuzzy

I am curious what are your reasons? Hope you don't mind to share.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy,

I chose to do the surgery for the first time because it was the only alternative left for me to hear.

BUT, I didnt like it. When I first woke up, they had the oxygen mask over my face because my oxygen level was low, and they needed to bring it up. As a long time smoker and fighting to quit still, it is scary to have a surgery in the first place. I didn't like the mask and fought to take it off, also it would scare me that I would stop breathing during the next operation if I had to have one.

Second of all, when I first woke up even though I was on pain meds, I had the feeling that I was just run over by a mac truck. That feeling along with the hungover feeling isnt nice at all.

Not everyone reacts to surgery the same way. Some people can have surgery and it not bother them at all.

But for me as a smoker, surgery scares the hell out of me. I was willing to risk it once, but I wont risk it twice unless it was medically necessary for me to do so as in to save my life.

Hey Shel, I believe you 100% that the CI will not work for some children but I was just wondering what the age range of the children are that you teach. I apologize if this was asked of you before and I missed it.

BUT, I didnt like it. When I first woke up, they had the oxygen mask over my face because my oxygen level was low, and they needed to bring it up.

I do not like that mask. I have a problem with needles, it doesn't matter what kind. Before my CI surgery, I had another one and the nurse took 5 tries at stabbing me to get the IV needle in before she passed it off to someone else. I ended up passing out. When I had my CI surgery, I told the nurse she has one shot of getting it done, if she didn't get it in then forget it. Needless to say she couldn't get it in and appeased me. They wheeled me in and use the mask to knock me out and that was the only part I had a problem with, I remember struggling to get it off and then before i knew it, I was in neverland.

Some people can have surgery and it not bother them at all.

I am one of those besides the needle part. I do get nauseous from the anesthesia but I ask for the anti-nausea medicine and I am right as rain. I just went about stuffing my face when I woke up :)

But for me as a smoker, surgery scares the hell out of me. I was willing to risk it once, but I wont risk it twice unless it was medically necessary for me to do so as in to save my life.

I don't blame you!

Back