Why did you choose to have a CI?

Fuzzy,

I chose to do the surgery for the first time because it was the only alternative left for me to hear.

BUT, I didnt like it. When I first woke up, they had the oxygen mask over my face because my oxygen level was low, and they needed to bring it up. As a long time smoker and fighting to quit still, it is scary to have a surgery in the first place. I didn't like the mask and fought to take it off, also it would scare me that I would stop breathing during the next operation if I had to have one.

Second of all, when I first woke up even though I was on pain meds, I had the feeling that I was just run over by a mac truck. That feeling along with the hungover feeling isnt nice at all.

Not everyone reacts to surgery the same way. Some people can have surgery and it not bother them at all.

But for me as a smoker, surgery scares the hell out of me. I was willing to risk it once, but I wont risk it twice unless it was medically necessary for me to do so as in to save my life.

Thank you for replying.

Fuzzy

I do not like that mask. I have a problem with needles, it doesn't matter what kind. Before my CI surgery, I had another one and the nurse took 5 tries at stabbing me to get the IV needle in before she passed it off to someone else. I ended up passing out. When I had my CI surgery, I told the nurse she has one shot of getting it done, if she didn't get it in then forget it. Needless to say she couldn't get it in and appeased me. They wheeled me in and use the mask to knock me out and that was the only part I had a problem with, I remember struggling to get it off and then before i knew it, I was in neverland.

I am one of those besides the needle part. I do get nauseous from the anesthesia but I ask for the anti-nausea medicine and I am right as rain. I just went about stuffing my face when I woke up :)

I don't blame you!

Ughh I too hate the IV needles and told them please put it in my arm as it hurts alot less there. And that I had bad veins and it would be easier for them to put it in my arm.

Needless to say they stubbornly tried both my hands more than once. Until guess what? Finally in my arm and got it the first try there! Ughh!

If you mean me, I believe you.
But I am also saying there must be reasons why there weren't benefits received, and this may not neccessarily be CI's fault.

Fuzzy

Actually I've asked how a young child is programmed and you know I think that could cause problems. I have problems deciding if a sound is to loud, ex. what I percieved as loud but not to loud for the lower frequencies was actually to loud it caused me a funny buzz feeling when using the CI. I learned to back off if I felt the buzz and it did NOT cause any facial twitch.

Having sat in a sound booth with my then toddler daughter I can say that some kids are very hard to determine what they really are hearing. If the processor is not programmed right then you hear much less (btdt). When I read about how many adults are started on higher processing speeds but end up really liking slower ones you have to wonder how many children are using speeds that are inhibiting their ablility to successfully use thier processor.

Why did I choose to hava a CI. I chose to hear. Simple as that. :)

I'm a little late coming into this thread, but I thought I'd offer my comments on why I chose to receive CIs. My primary interest had to do with speech understanding since pre-CI I was relying on alternative communication techniques for the deafblind.

Since receiving my CIs, I'm now able to speak on the phone (after 11 years of being unable to do so), converse with others in noisy environments and enjoy music. In regards to the latter, I've been taking private voice lessons for the past 2 1/2 years. My CIs have also increased my personal safety while traveling since I am now able to cross streets safely without assistance. If I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat! :)

P.S. In case any of you are wondering where I've been I've had some computer problems that have finally been ironed out. :) I look forward to being a part of AD once again! :)

I'm a little late coming into this thread, but I thought I'd offer my comments on why I chose to receive CIs. My primary interest had to do with speech understanding since pre-CI I was relying on alternative communication techniques for the deafblind.

Since receiving my CIs, I'm now able to speak on the phone (after 11 years of being unable to do so), converse with others in noisy environments and enjoy music. In regards to the latter, I've been taking private voice lessons for the past 2 1/2 years. My CIs have also increased my personal safety while traveling since I am now able to cross streets safely without assistance. If I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat! :)

P.S. In case any of you are wondering where I've been I've had some computer problems that have finally been ironed out. :) I look forward to being a part of AD once again! :)

Hey welcome back! I missed you!

WB and a very good reason to choose an implant.

I think you all have some very good reasons for wanting to implant. And I also believe that this thread is going to be very informational for someone considering a CI.

I want to congratulate everyone on a job well done. This thread here proves that the CI topic can be discussed without the heated debates, flame wars, put downs, and being told your wrong.

Keep those posts coming in all of my CI threads.

I had my why did I get my CI moment - Last night I took my daugther to dance. I use that time to do the walking track above the dance place. My batteries when and I forgot all my batteries at home. I was so frustrated.

I shows how much I enjoy using the CIs. I walked without my ipod and every step weighed a ton. I could not hear the beautiful music when jen was dancing. But on the plus side, I did not hear all the crying babies in the lobby!

I used to want have a CI until I lost an interest for it. lol

Thank goodness, I realized CI have many negative views. I also feel a bit hurt when people are highly expecting deaf/hoh people who have CIs that would hear better.. oh, phony! it's obviously not true..

I am also tired of people keep to tell me "that deaf people are handcipping. get over" and all this crappy thing.. Agrr..:pissed:

I used to want have a CI until I lost an interest for it. lol

Thank goodness, I realized CI have many negative views. I also feel a bit hurt when people are highly expecting deaf/hoh people who have CIs that would hear better.. oh, phony! it's obviously not true..

I am also tired of people keep to tell me "that deaf people are handcipping. get over" and all this crappy thing.. Agrr..:pissed:

I agree with u.

Also, in the positive view, CI is the best option for music, listening a word cearly, and some reasons. That's why I was truly wanted it for that reasons..

I mean I agree with u about being tired of people labeling deaf people as handicapped or cant do much unless we are able to hear better.

I mean I agree with u about being tired of people labeling deaf people as handicapped or cant do much unless we are able to hear better.

also, i don't think blnid people are handicapped too. Some people with kind of "disability" are doing so fine, like us.

also, i don't think blnid people are handicapped too. Some people with kind of "disability" are doing so fine, like us.

Right...

Better get back on topic. :)

Right...

Better get back on topic. :)

Yep, shall we?

sorry for responding back, due to this site kicked me out so i have to log in a bit while.. grr..

CI is the reason to improve the speaking and *possibly* the education.

CI is really nice for a qaulity of hear, of course, CI do not make you a hearing person. I sometime want to know what it sound like but I'd rather to not hear something else.. I just can assume what it sound like as if I can understand how it noise is. :D

Also, CI may makes you to think how amazing sound is. A few times, I use a CD player for listening a kind of music without having a CI (not the speaking because I never will understand the voices). I really like it, even I don't know what it sound is. lol

sound, noise, and voice can be cool to hear. jmo. :D

As being an lifelong HOHer getting a CI a couple of years ago...

Speak for yourself but if you don't have a CI, you have no clue what you are talking about. Maybe a few don't hear better but the majority do! I know three people with a CI and ran into one or two others I don't know with a CI and they all hear better than before.

I know I personally hear so much better that it has opened so many doors for me. One of my favorite ones is finally being able to justify having a cell phone and using it a great deal. Another one is understanding over 90% of conference calls.

Back