Who initiates the courtship?

naisho

Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
Reaction score
Alright, this is a spinoff of the other thread that went on fire today.

Who initiates the start of a new relationship?

I say it's common practice to accept it to be the guy, but sometimes it's hard to know as a guy if the female is interested in him. It also feels bad as a guy to try it and get rejected consecutive times.

I say it's common practice to accept it to be the guy, but sometimes it's hard to know as a guy if the female is interested in him. It also feels bad as a guy to try it and get rejected consecutive times.

there's no hard and fast rule as to who initiates it, it could be started just by a glance, be it a man or a woman.

I believe we women like the chase & the challenge as much as some of the men do....I never had a problem asking a man out if he interested me...And some guys and ladies are very shy....But I'd find out first if he was married or attached. If he was just seperated from his wife or just got out of a relationship...no way would I consider it. But I'd let him know in subtle ways that I was interested....become friends...then see where it might take us....

I was good friends with my now-husband for about 3 months, and then realized "Hmm, this guy really is something special." So I invited him to a dinner party I was giving. He stayed after the other guests left and helped me wash dishes and clean up.

You better believe I wasn't going to let THAT guy get away! ;-)

Whoever gets the idea first.

Not much difference really between asking someone out directly or saying something like "If you asked me to go with you to the movies, I'd say yes."*

A slight difference of style at most.

* And no, I've never asked someone so indirectly -- but I've seen it done and done successfully.

ETA I guess I'm showing my age. The "social customs police" were still putting pressure on girls/women to be more indirect if they asked guys out when I was in my teens.

I made the first move on my now husband!

me

it ALWAYS me who start first. i very bold woman, not shy let man know if i attract to him.

it ALWAYS me who start first. i very bold woman, not shy let man know if i attract to him.

"Tower! This is ghostrider requesting a flyby." :giggle:
(Quote from TopGun, one of my favorite movies)

If the woman's giving off some pretty strong signs, I don't have a problem going for it.

Remembering a pick up line that was said to me once...."every time I see you walk by....I bark at the moon."....

I guess by my logic, the first person who puts the possibility out there is the one who initiated a courtship. The 2nd person has to consent for the possibility to go anywhere.

But that leaves me thinking, if a woman flirts with a guy to show that she is interested, did the guy initiate it or did the girl? It feels like a chicken or egg question suddenly! :)

I guess by my logic, the first person who puts the possibility out there is the one who initiated a courtship. The 2nd person has to consent for the possibility to go anywhere.

But that leaves me thinking, if a woman flirts with a guy to show that she is interested, did the guy initiate it or did the girl? It feels like a chicken or egg question suddenly! :)

It's sort of a mutual negotiation. :lol: :naughty:

Back