Which Surgery CI belongs to?

Which Surgery CI belongs to?

• Is CI belonging to save human’s risk life?

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Is CI belonging to Cosmetics to improve human’s bodies?

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Is CI belongs to "Lasix"?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Liebling:-))) said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I never heard that "important" surgery... :laugh2:

Can you please add the website on this post because I didn´t find "important" surgery in the websites...

To me, I see it as an IMPORTANT surgery. It is not a medical term.

Please do not undermine each other's opinion when debating such a controversial topic. I believe CI is a choice and I would be fighting for my right to have a CI if my hearing was rapidly degenerating.

CI surgery is not cosmetic as it does not improve ones appearance..on the other hand I see the surgery as one that greatly improves ones quality of life
by improving or restoring the sense of hearing :D

Liebling:-))) said:
Please read carefully what I say in first place... NOBODY judge you...

I only put the poll to make everyone see the sense that CI is not belong to Risk life... because everyone mixed heart diease, cancer, etc with CI situation...
Please remember that we are not against CI... We respect everyone´s choice.
I only ask you for your opinion which Surgery CI is belong to...
I will ask Monitor to add one more poll "Lasix" Surgery to 2 poll because I didn´t know about Lasix...
Thank you...

Lasik surgery is surgery only done to correct vision. It isn't a category of surgery. Sorry if that was a confusion and the wrong spelling. It went through the spell check wrong.

Incidently it's not always cosmetic as I know some people who really need it to be able to see WITH glasses too. Their vision is so bad they need both to be able to see properly.

Last edited:
Socrates said:
Cochlear Implants do have a purpose and that is to enable the late-deafened, hard-of-hearing and those who are losing their hearing rapidly. We cannot impose our "Deaf Culture" on those who were born hearing and had no exposure to our world. The late-deafened struggle through a lot and they are being expected to accept our world. We cannot expect this and their last resort of hearing before having a silent world is a Cochlear Implant. They will grab this chance before being immersed in a quiet world because they will definitely be dragged kicking and screaming into our "Deaf Culture". Vice versa for the Deaf militants that would be dragged kicking and signing if they are to be immersed solely in the hearing world.

Socrates our world???????? I was born deaf and I have never lived in your world. There is one world and thats the real world which many of you have never been to. CI are a tool to help a person function and live a better life. I know in your world of deaf culture you have your theories and thats fine. But as a philosipher you stink

Loomis said:
Socrates our world???????? I was born deaf and I have never lived in your world. There is one world and thats the real world which many of you have never been to. CI are a tool to help a person function and live a better life. I know in your world of deaf culture you have your theories and thats fine. But as a philosipher you stink

You have your philosophies and I have my philosophies. :mrgreen:

I also have to say your voting system Liebling is wrong.

You already formed your opinion about what CI is and what it isn't, and formed questions without leaving any options - it points to cosmetic.

That's why I didn't vote because I feel none of the QQ reflect reality.

As for my opinion what kind is CI surgery, it's elective.
That means:

Web definitions;

The term "Elective Surgery" means a surgery which is not a matter of life or death. It means a surgery which can be performed at any time. It does not include any surgery which must be performed immediately in order to protect the health and life of a person.

Elective surgery is undertaken to improve the outcome of treatment, rather than as a medical necessity eg the removal of certain lymph glands to reduce the risk of a cancer spreading.

While cosmetic surgery may fall into that category, CI implant does not fall into cosmetic surgery.

Here's why:

Web definition:

The term "Cosmetic Surgery" means surgery which is performed merely for the purpose of improving the appearance of an individual.

Surgery that is intended to improve the appearance of the patient or preserve/restore a pleasing appearance. Cosmetic Surgery does not include surgery that is intended to correct normal functions of the body.

here is the definition of what cosmetic surgery is that may cause certain confusion:

Surgery/treatment given to correct/reconstruct a defect caused from an injury or disease (See elective surgery/treatment).

You have to remember this:
Cosmetic Surgery does not include surgery that is intended to correct normal functions of the body

And example of cosmetic surgery that improves appearance from injury is fixing a scar.

No way CI is cosmetic surgery. It is elective surgery, one where person hearing status is altered.
And while it is not life saving it is life ALTERING.

There is many kinds of surgeries that may fall partly into all sort of definitions.

For example - reconstructive surgery. Suppose you was born with cleft palate.
You may live like that, but it's a kind of handicap. Fixing the cleft palate is not life saving surgery, but it does improve quality of life, improves speech, improves breathing and eating, it does improve appearance.

It does involve cosmetic surgery, but it's more than that.

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
I also have to say your voting system Liebling is wrong.

You already formed your opinion about what CI is and what it isn't, and formed questions without leaving any options - it points to cosmetic.

That's why I didn't vote because I feel none of the QQ reflect reality.

As for my opinion what kind is CI surgery, it's elective.
That means:

Web definitions;

The term "Elective Surgery" means a surgery which is not a matter of life or death. It means a surgery which can be performed at any time. It does not include any surgery which must be performed immediately in order to protect the health and life of a person.

Elective surgery is undertaken to improve the outcome of treatment, rather than as a medical necessity eg the removal of certain lymph glands to reduce the risk of a cancer spreading.

While cosmetic surgery may fall into that category, CI implant does not fall into cosmetic surgery.

Here's why:

Web definition:

The term "Cosmetic Surgery" means surgery which is performed merely for the purpose of improving the appearance of an individual.

Surgery that is intended to improve the appearance of the patient or preserve/restore a pleasing appearance. Cosmetic Surgery does not include surgery that is intended to correct normal functions of the body.

here is the definition of what cosmetic surgery is that may cause certain confusion:

Surgery/treatment given to correct/reconstruct a defect caused from an injury or disease (See elective surgery/treatment).

You have to remember this:
Cosmetic Surgery does not include surgery that is intended to correct normal functions of the body

And example of cosmetic surgery that improves appearance from injury is fixing a scar.

No way CI is cosmetic surgery. It is elective surgery, one where person hearing status is altered.
And while it is not life saving it is life ALTERING.

There is many kinds of surgeries that may fall partly into all sort of definitions.

For example - reconstructive surgery. Suppose you was born with cleft palate.
You may live like that, but it's a kind of handicap. Fixing the cleft palate is not life saving surgery, but it does improve quality of life, improves speech, improves breathing and eating, it does improve appearance.

It does involve cosmetic surgery, but it's more than that.

Fuzzy

Excellent posting! :thumb:

I am assuming that the word "belong" actually is "relate"

Of course it is elective surgery related type. although it does improve the quality of life for many of ci users. And it does reduce the risks somehow.

I agree with Mylittlemen and Audiofuzzy; CI does not fit the definition of cosmetic surgery because it does not improve physical appearance.

Reba said:
I agree with Mylittlemen and Audiofuzzy; CI does not fit the definition of cosmetic surgery because it does not improve physical appearance.

This was my feeling as well. It's an elective surgery, but doesn't fall in the same category as a "cosmetic" surgery.

I think the author of this thread does not really know what they are talking about,the poll choices and their posts are evidence of this. C.I. surgery belongs in the improving quality of life catergory along with hip/knee reconstruction etc etc........... :pissed:

Sure, but to me, elective surgery is STILL relate to kind of cosmetic. example about breast silkon, etc because they want to change to improve their body. :)

Cosmetic surgery does fall into the elective surgery category but CI does NOT fall into cosmetic surgery category.

the difference is, as it pointed out earlier, that :

silicon breast is not changing body FUNCTION - it is still the same breast, does the same thing as before surgery, it only changes SHAPE.

CI surgery is a surgery that does change body function- a hearing.

Fuzzy

Mc Gusto said:
I think the author of this thread does not really know what they are talking about,the poll choices and their posts are evidence of this. C.I. surgery belongs in the improving quality of life catergory along with hip/knee reconstruction etc etc........... :pissed:

I just check your avator and understand that you registered this forum last January 2005. You didn't know what we all had been through in different CI threads here in past year.

The people use emergencies subjects (save risk life surgery) like heart hole, diseases, teeth, eyes, Siamese twin, etc. etc. with CI surgery, which it's not right to use this "emergencies" subject as an excuse, that's why I created a thread with poll to ask people which CI surgery belong to emergencies, save risk life or "comestic" surgery.

CI is not belong to kind of emergencies surgery, IMO but "comestic" like change and improve the bodies. :)

Audiofuzzy said:
Cosmetic surgery does fall into the elective surgery category but CI does NOT fall into cosmetic surgery category.

the difference is, as it pointed out earlier, that :

silicon breast is not changing body FUNCTION - it is still the same breast, does the same thing as before surgery, it only changes SHAPE.

CI surgery is a surgery that does change body function- a hearing.

Fuzzy

I stand what I beleive is elective surgery related to kind of "comestic" because of "restore"/"correct" to change/improve their bodies.

Alot of parents beleive that CI is the same as hearing which it's not true.
Check my story where my hubby met 2 guys and other CI people in Rehab. clinic last April.

Check this
http://www.alldeaf.com/showpost.php?p=339528&postcount=42

I beleive CI users's side more because it's them who wear CI, not doctor or non-CI users's side. :) I study them because it's them who have the feeling. :)
Yes, some of CI users are happy and some not.

Liebeling,
you are right in your thinking that elective and comsmetic surgery are related.
But there are also BIG differences that set them apart.

The success rate, or failure of CI has nothing to do with cosmetic surgery category.

If you hear well after CI - not cosmetic.
If you can't hear after CI or hear badly- still not cosmetic surgery.

Remember cosmetic surgery does not alter (change) body function. Only the appearance.
CI does not change one apperance - if anything, for the "worse" (stuff b. t. ear, wires, etc)

>>>because of "restore"/"correct" to change/improve their bodies.<<<

It depends what it restore, or what change. Changing the way we look- for example make our nose smaller, eye bigger, lips fuller - is not changing function.

Implanting CI does change body but in a way of functioning, but not looking. It restores hearing. (even if not in everone)

I think you are lookin for argument that CI surgery is not life saving measure and it need not be performed to change one's life.
In that aspect you need the world "elective" for it CI surgery indeed does not saves life and one can be happy and educated without it.

You probably mean, CI is not a medical emergency. Because it is not.

Fuzzy

Agreed it's not cosmetic surgery but still....
I see the surgery as one that greatly improves ones quality of life
by improving or restoring the sense of hearing
So you're saying that those of us who chose to remain unamplified have a lower quality of life then those who opt for CIs or hearing aids?
WRONG! Lots of people with craniofacial issues undergo cosmetic surgery to correct normal functions of the body. Yes, it's not the same as some rich bitch opting for surgery b/c she wants bigger boobs but it's still cosmetic surgery!

Audiofuzzy said:
I think you are lookin for argument that CI surgery is not life saving measure and it need not be performed to change one's life.
In that aspect you need the world "elective" for it CI surgery indeed does not saves life and one can be happy and educated without it.

No, please check my response post on Mc Gusto´s post explain why I create a thread here last year.

You registered this forum few weeks ago. You didn´t know what we had been through last year because people use this "save risk life, emergencies" etc. as an excuse to debate with us over CI issues like what you mixed children education with CI condition yesterday. I repeat explain them that they should not mix CI issues with any "emergencies" issue because CI is not relate to kind of emergencies etc. Got it?

You probably mean, CI is not a medical emergency. Because it is not.

Fuzzy

Correct

Back