What was the last movie you watched?

they make wingchun looks so easy...bong sao, tau sao...

Believe me, I've been studying Wing Chun for years, it's anything but easy. I especially love watching Sammo Hung - Jackie Chan's big brother from his opera school days. Sammo is a God as far as I'm concerned. Even at his weight, he's the best martial artist in the business....period.

Donnie's "Da Man"....:D although for action, Donnie and Sammo squaring off in Ip Man 2 was tops....

My favorite scene

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Cb2d0ZUVs]IP MAN -10 Man fight scene - YouTube[/ame]

The actor who plays Ip Man looks just like one of my very good friends. My friend is from Turkey though, but looks just like him. He was also Turkish Special Forces. It is uncanny how they look a lot alike.

I also liked what he said about how Chinese Kung Fu was never about domination (in regards to the reason the Japanese Colonel wanted to learn) or oppression of others, but was to be used to free the spirit. And in Ip Man 2, he said that everybody, young, old, weak or strong all had the same value, and to live in peace with one another and to never use strength to oppress another's integrity.

those were very "touching" elements of the film and what I remember the most about it.

Yes and no, not really - Ip Man had a dramatic life but it was really overblown for the movies, but still wonderful films. Wong Kar Wai has a film, also of Ip Man called, The Grandmaster, which has gotten good reviews and it's playing in a few cinemas in the States. Ip Man: The Final Fight - not a Donnie Yen film either but stars Anthony Wong, a wonderful actor that gave a great performance in the Herman Yau version. All worth checking out if you like the Wing Chun style.

Bruce Lee was my hero ever since I was a little boy. He still is ... and after watching Ip Man, and what he said ... I can see the influence (even though I know the film took embellishments).

I was very surprised to learn that the principles that Ip Man taught, in regards to treating others as you would have them treat you, were learned in a private school he attended when he was young.

That really, really stuck out.

Believe me, I've been studying Wing Chun for years, it's anything but easy. I especially love watching Sammo Hung - Jackie Chan's big brother from his opera school days. Sammo is a God as far as I'm concerned. Even at his weight, he's the best martial artist in the business....period.

I will have to check it out.

When I lived in Florida with my grandmother - one of her neighbors was a Navy SEAL that studied Wing Chun. He offered me lessons for free at his home. His whole back yard was set up as a school. I didn't have the strong interest that I have now in it ...

I lasted 3 lessons :giggle:

it was HARD!!!!

BTW, here is Ip Man's son:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6oPgV0tJrM[/ame]

UGH, I rented a movie from Redbox called "Detention" that looked very promising. This movie, was the worst movie, I have.... EVER.... seen.... EVER! It was so terrible! Some how, aliens were involved ( though this was NOWHERE in the description! ) It was SOOOOO TERRIBLE you could see the strings suspending these alien ships in the air!!! OMG IT WAS THE WORST MOVIE EVER! It was SO bad, I want to find who made this movie and lock them in a basement so they can never make another again!!! This just reassures me, redbox BLOWS and they need to have more Blockbusters!

I will have to check it out.

When I lived in Florida with my grandmother - one of her neighbors was a Navy SEAL that studied Wing Chun. He offered me lessons for free at his home. His whole back yard was set up as a school. I didn't have the strong interest that I have now in it ...

I lasted 3 lessons :giggle:

it was HARD!!!!

what was hard about it? the sil lum tao or chi sao or mook jong ?

the getting my ass handed to me part :giggle:

Actually, he taught me to count in Cantonese (but I forget). Then he explained different breathing exercises. It was the endurance training ... these guys WORK OUT!!!

He showed me different hand trapping techniques that I still remember, and where to hit - different nerves - the body has a lot of them.

I never tried the mook jong, but he had one in his back yard.

wing chun are easy to learn but really hard to get good at it...monk jong is NOT for beginners even i havent got that far...some day...just uni comes firat at the moment...(learning tai chi though...mainly to zero in and relax...)

really difficult to find a good school in NZ...there was only 3 in the country, now about 8 but I'd hazard a guess (havent done it for 10 years now)...that its still only 3 good schools...

ok. back to movies...

My favorite scene

IP MAN -10 Man fight scene - YouTube

The actor who plays Ip Man looks just like one of my very good friends.

That's Donnie Yen from Boston. His mother still operates a school in Chinatown here although she only teaches Tai Chi on Sunday mornings now.

The end was a little cheezy if you ask me, and again, never happened in reality...just like this fight.

wing chun are easy to learn but really hard to get good at it.

Easy is relative...you try getting into a position maintaining soft and hard at the same time....nothing easy about it. It only appears to be that way to an outsider watching it, but watching and feeling are two very different things.

The drills, applying the mok jong to the fight applications, maintaining a position that is both hard and soft, maintaining a state of calm during a sparring session, being about to respond to an attack at the right moment using only the right amount of force required, not using strength to make an application work, etc., etc.......Wing Chun is something you have to experience to appreciate "what's hard about it."

isn't that the idea of chi sao?, learning pressures...
anyway...this is supposed to be a movie thread lol, not a WING CHUN thread lmao...
oh, the folklore, Beautiful Springtime...
;)

Lately..
before_sunrise_poster.jpg

before_sunset_poster.jpg

before_midnight_poster1.jpg

Troll_2_2.jpg

Turtles_Reg.jpg

936full_the_fugitive_kind_poster.jpg

UGH, I rented a movie from Redbox called "Detention" that looked very promising. This movie, was the worst movie, I have.... EVER.... seen.... EVER! It was so terrible! Some how, aliens were involved ( though this was NOWHERE in the description! ) It was SOOOOO TERRIBLE you could see the strings suspending these alien ships in the air!!! OMG IT WAS THE WORST MOVIE EVER! It was SO bad, I want to find who made this movie and lock them in a basement so they can never make another again!!! This just reassures me, redbox BLOWS and they need to have more Blockbusters!

This is a weird little film. Within the first few minutes, you know it's going for something different. I was hesitant at first but it's actually thoroughly enjoyable and Im glad I stuck with it. It's insanely awesome.

Honestly, I can see this becoming a 'cult' classic.

This is a weird little film. Within the first few minutes, you know it's going for something different. I was hesitant at first but it's actually thoroughly enjoyable and Im glad I stuck with it. It's insanely awesome.

Honestly, I can see this becoming a 'cult' classic.
hmmm

Last edited:
Deadgirl
Even though I put this movie in horror section, it isn't horror. It's more like drama with horror element. In this movie two guys found a girl who is being strapped to a gurney in an abandoned mental hospital and one discovered she can't die by killing her three times (I'm not sure why he kill her in the first place, he's probably a psychopath long before the movie starts). Anyway the "psychopath" boy decide to keep her as sex slave and rapes her repeatedly while the other one is guilty about what is happening, he didn't know what to do or how to stop him, they're best friends after all. This isn't like any zombie flick (and this zombie chick in the movie can't die anyway, no matter how you kill her). It's watchable and I enjoyed it.

The Signal
I bought this movie after seeing it on Netflix. I really like this movie. Synopsis copied from IMDb - "A horror film told in three parts, from three perspectives, in which a mysterious transmission that turns people into killers invades every cell phone, radio, and television." (I must add this tranmission affects everyone differently and it didn't turn every single person into killers, though)
In first segment, the unfaithful wife is the main character who is trying to get away from her crazy husband (and other murderous people) after witnessing him murdering one of his best friends. In second segment, the husband is the main character who is searching for his wife after she escaped him and ended up staying at a nice and strange lady's house (that segment is comedy) and in third segment, the boyfriend of the wife is the main character who is also searching for her.

Fear
In my opinion it's the number two best movie about deadly obsession with "The Crush" being number one.

My Bloody Valentine (1981)
Even though I like the remake, this version is way better except one thing. In the remake I like the reason people are being killed better than the old one, even though the twisted ending has been done many times.

I agreed. Horrible, horrible movie!

Back