What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

Well I've had this happen to me:

Can you drive a car?
Do you have drivers license?
being left out in hearing group conversation like I ask whats you guys talking about? They're like oh it's nothing or I'll tell you later.
Laughed because I can't hear
making fun of deafness
It's dangerous to drive or operate a machine because you can't hear.
hearing speaks too fast that I can't understand

You guys pretty much name it all.

What Tickin' Me Off About The Hearin' People is...

Well first of all I used to hunged around my dad's side of family like cousins and their girlie friends...

My cousin's girlfriend was tellin' me somethin' and I didn't understand what she was a sayin' and I asked her to repeat what she was a sayin' to me and she was so rude and said "Never Mind", I tell you later, then she said just "Forget It" and that ticked me off...

My dad's brother's son was rude whisperin' to his girlfriend and I say hey I know yore a talkin' about me, I heard ya a sayin' my name and he said how you know, I said oh I ain't stupid yore know I can reads yore lips duh...

I'm very good at watchin' hearin' people's expression on their face, if they make a nasty faces or a rudin' face if ya tells them ya ain't gettin' what they're a sayin' that's how you know how they looks and acts by disrespectin' the deaf or hearin' impaired not likin' to repeats...

People gotta have patient ya know, and many ain't patient with the deaf or hearin' impaired, they hated to repeated and then they ain't no friend at all...

Our Eyes Can Hears and Our Ears Can Sees!​

Here's two that came up in my Deaf Studies class:
"Can you read my lips?" (shake head no) "But you just did!" (well of course, everybody can lipread that question, doesn't mean you can lipread everything!)
"Oh you can talk? Talk for me, say something!" (what am I, a trained monkey?)
And one of my own...HOH people who are ashamed of it. I have been reading a thread on a message board where some HOH people are chatting. And they are saying things like "I don't want to get hearing aids, people will know I'm deaf" - is it better for people to think you're rude or stupid because you answer questions wrong or ignore them? Or "I don't like asking at a hotel for the ADA kit, then they will know I'm deaf" - first of all, the hotel clerk doesn't know you, will never see you again, and doesn't really care if you are deaf or not. Second, by asking for the ADA kit, you're reminding them that people need it and they should keep it in good working order. And finally, isn't it safer to have that equipment in case of an emergency?

And this one comes from deaf and hearing alike: "How can you be a terp if you are HOH?" Surprise, there are lots of HOH terps out there. As long as we can hear well enough to interpret, we can interpret! Sometimes this means working only in certain situations, sometimes it means wearing hearing aids. But HOH people can be terps too!

...And this one comes from deaf and hearing alike: "How can you be a terp if you are HOH?" Surprise, there are lots of HOH terps out there. As long as we can hear well enough to interpret, we can interpret! Sometimes this means working only in certain situations, sometimes it means wearing hearing aids. But HOH people can be terps too!
Yes, I know an outstanding HOH terp who wears HAs.

When they throw things at you? For real??

Why in the world would stupid hearing people throw things at you?

To get your attention probably.

I've had people come up behind me and turn the vaccum cleaner off, as if that makes a difference when I can t even hear the dam thing.

Another one is when I tell someone I need to lipread and they come so close to my face they are just about kissing me, god knows what they think lipreading means.

To get your attention probably.

I've had people come up behind me and turn the vaccum cleaner off, as if that makes a difference when I can t even hear the dam thing.

Another one is when I tell someone I need to lipread and they come so close to my face they are just about kissing me, god knows what they think lipreading means.

Good God! That's is sick. As a hearie I am shocked. Such idiots.

Good God! That's is sick. As a hearie I am shocked. Such idiots.
Deaf people throw stuff at each other too, you know. We're not talking about the dictionary or anything...just crumpled up paper usually. But throwing things is not that shocking!

When they throw things at you? For real??

Why in the world would stupid hearing people throw things at you?

Oh...I have had stuff ranging from papers to rocks thrown at me to get my attention. It hasnt happened lately cuz the last few times, I threw whatever was thrown at me right back at the person. :giggle:

Maybe they think it is Tadoma, like Helen Keller used to do?

Maybe they think it is Tadoma, like Helen Keller used to do?

Uuuuuuummmmmm...........Tadoma....explanation please as this seems to be a gap in my education

Tho I dont think too many people , I mean hearies, would even have a clue how Helen Keller communicated.

Oh...I have had stuff ranging from papers to rocks thrown at me to get my attention. It hasnt happened lately cuz the last few times, I threw whatever was thrown at me right back at the person. :giggle:

That just shocks me! The stupidity of some hearies is just pathetic. I am glad I'm not that way. No way, no how. Incredible. So very sad.

That just shocks me! The stupidity of some hearies is just pathetic. I am glad I'm not that way. No way, no how. Incredible. So very sad.

Important that we, deaf people, stand up to them about this issue. It becomes sad when someone doesnt speak up to stop it but just let it happen.

Important that we, deaf people, stand up to them about this issue. It becomes sad when someone doesnt speak up to stop it but just let it happen.

I never knew that some hearies could be so cruel. Yes, stand up and throw something back at them. Make them know you hate that behavour. But I am boiling mad at such stupidity.

*Squirts shel from 20 feet away with my water gun* Hi, there!

*Squirts shel from 20 feet away with my water gun* Hi, there!

*getting up and getting a bucket of water and pouring it right over you* Hi there back! :)

Back