What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

What ticks me off are hearing parents choosing SEE rather than ASL for their deaf children. SEE is NOT a language! It will mess up their linguistic development. GGGRRRR!

Hey, but you know what? Don't worry, it won't, it only make the teaching messier.

As long as the children are enrolled in 'deaf' school and attend real ASL classes, is a blessing in disguise.

Because this way, the children learn like two languages- the spoken English from their parents and the proper ASL in their classroom
and from their peers.

Having a child who grew up in bi-lingual family, I can attest that children don't have a problem adjusting to both.
They may speak at home one language, and then later speak and learn at school and out there the other.

Usually the language they use with their peers and at school is predominant.

Fuzzy

Sometimes I am heard loud noise creep weird odd trick on my brain!

Sometimes I am heard loud noise creep weird odd trick on my brain!

That happens to me all the time!!! I hate it! It's not so bad when I "hear" something and it's something that I would never hear in that environment as I can ignore it. But when it's something like a door knocking or music or a soft motor humming, I have on occasion searched for the source then reminded myself that I'm deaf! LOL! It's especially confusing when I have my CI on and the noise is "all in my head". I share your pain smithtr!

But when it's something like a door knocking or music or a soft motor humming,

I don't know about the door knocking, but if you hear like a music or a car/motor humming in your ears, it's tinnitus.

I have it, too.
It usually happens to me when I take off my HAs before going to sleep.

It apparently can happen also if you are under lot of stress.

Come to think of it, I do experience temporary "buzzing" in my head if
I was in suddenly scary, stressful situation...

Fuzzy

I don't know about the door knocking, but if you hear like a music or a car/motor humming in your ears, it's tinnitus.

I have it, too.
It usually happens to me when I take off my HAs before going to sleep.

It apparently can happen also if you are under lot of stress.

Come to think of it, I do experience temporary "buzzing" in my head if
I was in suddenly scary, stressful situation...

Fuzzy

Don't forget when you're tired. I have been annoyed by it since 3 this morning.

I hate when they notice my baby wears HA and then give a sad face and when they ask if she can be fixed....My response is always "she isn't broken"

I'm not deaf, but I do have problems hearing (going to the dr in a few weeks).

Has anyone had a problem with hearing people just moving their lips and not making any sounds on purpose? I guess it would be kind of like mocking someone?

On Thanksgiving, my little sister brought her boyfriend for dinner and he isn't the loudest speaker. I can barely hear (not really understand) him if the room is quiet and he is close to me. I have to have my sister "translate" (aka repeat what he says loud enough so I can hear him).

Anyway, so sisters boyfriend is sitting next to me at dinner and he asks me something, my husband hears it but I didnt. My husband asks me if I heard him and I said no. He said, "you seriously couldn't hear that?" and turns to him and I see him say something like "I'm going to mess with her" to my sisters boyfriend. So he starts "talking" to me but purposefully makes no sound and isn't really saying anything, like he was mocking me.

I got a bit upset and tell that isn't nice and is quite rude. He said he didn't think it would hurt my feelings that he was trying to be funny, but he apologizes and we all continued eating.

As soon as I think he "gets it" I realize he still has a lot to learn :(

That is *SO* mean and *SO* not funny.

My ex-boyfriend would purposely 'mumble' and laugh at the confused look on my face. *Ex* for a reason. :roll:

That not nice of them do that.

I had people do that but different reason from you. They just test me say something with voice and repeat without voice, then ask me if I hear them, I told them no I can't. Then he ask which one did he speak with no voice, I asked him why would he do that? It pointless.

I told him I hear NOTHING!! I don't wear aids or anything.

sometimes i feel like some people think i'm making up my hearing problems.

when i tell people i made a dr appointment about my trouble hearing, they act like it's something new and with my other health issues i think some of those people feel like i'm making it up :(

they just don't realize how much effort i've been putting in to understand what they say and only NOW mentioning my difficulty with it.

That is *SO* mean and *SO* not funny.

My ex-boyfriend would purposely 'mumble' and laugh at the confused look on my face. *Ex* for a reason. :roll:

making someone confused on purpose to mock, laugh, and poke fun at them is just plain wrong. i'm sure people do this because of their own insecurities.

this is his "1st offense" and he seemed really apologetic, so i just talked to him about it and let him know how i feel. he's just lucky he's so cute. If there's a next time (hopefully not), I won't be so nice...:giggle:

What ticks me off?

When hearies ask stupid questions like, "Why are you just learning sign language now?" :roll:

And they ask this stupid question because they too lazy to do research and read other threads to understand WHY!!!!!

As always when they come in here and start trying to be our teacher and advisor.

I have a long life experience and I really don't like it when they try to relate things that have happened in relation to deafness and say it would happen in other situations and being deaf has nothing to do with problems.

that's my favorite...I love it when people ask me if I can read in Braille. After dealing with that for so many years, I have nothing left but laugh at their faces. It is not worth getting angry over. It makes me wonder if blind people were ever asked the question "Oh, do you know sign language?"

Yes, they do. The school I teach at has the district's D/HH program embedded in it, so we have a good bunch of D/HH kids and interpreters. But it's a big urban school with very diverse students. I met with our school's case manager for Blind/VI students because I will have one of her kids in my class next semester. It became pretty obvious that having a blind kid would not weird me out, so we were kind of joking about this. She told me that when I met with him to discuss his accommodations he'd want/need, I should ask him where he wanted the interpreter to sit. If he knew what a smart-aleck I am I would have, but I didn't know he'd get that I was asking facetiously and would actually think I'm that dumb. Apparently he's been asked about that before.

I haven't really posted here in a while. I have been sooooo angry. So angry that I couldn't think straight. Why? Well, please, tell me if you think I am wrong to be angry. Also, if you have suggestions please. I want lots of helpful comments. Bear with me, I will try to explain the story clearly.

I was at the store. I know the butcher. In the past, he worked with my son who is a baker. The butcher's girlfriend is studying to become an interpreter. Though I have invited them to many Deaf community events, they never come. Ok, so, this time he tells me that she failed ASL two. He also told me that she is interpreting for a high school student. He further explained that she believes the student she interprets for isn't applying himself. That she works with the teachers and speaks with them often on methods of working with him. (My blood is steaming by now - you?) He goes on! This kid, then he NAMES the boy, is (he names his ethnicity) and is probably just lazy!!!!

GRRRRRR. Many of you old timers know that I do have a temper. Once I was assured that I had understood the conversation in both print and lip reading correctly. I told this butcher that his girlfriend had no business interpreting for anyone, that she was NOT a teacher but worked FOR the student, and that if I was the student that I would be PISSED as HELL and would report her to any and all available authorities due to her poor ethics, her inability to pass ASL two, and that he had no business knowing this information let alone passing it to anyone else let alone to someone from the Deaf community. I think that whatever she interprets is between her and the student. Mind you - I KNOW this student. He is bright, charming, can conjugate both English and Spanish and has a CI. He does interact with everyone on a proper age level and even a bit above. His ASL is good, his English is good and his native language, Spanish, is excellent. I think now his problem is that he has a crappy interpreter.

So, please tell me that I am not wrong. Really! I hear all this about my young friend from a butcher in the supermarket???? Geeeez.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I can't believe that the school got an terp with only ASL1. The terp is incompetent and her boyfriend is a racist asshole.

Is there a way that you can help this young man advocate for a more qualified terps? You don't have to tell him how you found out. He'd probably assume that you know her and know that her ASL sucks.

I sincerely doubt that I could. I do believe that I will reach our area Deaf Services rep. He should be able to advocate.
He is a really professional guy and is Deaf himself. Hopefully he can do something.

This is just wrong on sooo many levels.

I agree what an ass. I feel sorry for this nice kid. He deserves better. She needs to get her butt fired. Lucky this world has people like you. I would have done the exact same thing. Good luck!!!

I agree what an ass. I feel sorry for this nice kid. He deserves better. She needs to get her butt fired. Lucky this world has people like you. I would have done the exact same thing. Good luck!!!

bet this happens a lot more than we supposed to know about

Back