What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

tumblr_mbo6lcOOao1r2dkjw.gif

Just a silly humor gif.. please dont take it seriously.

I used to be on the varsity volleyball team and I was the only deaf girl in my team. One of my team mates asked me the most irritating and annoying question: How do you know how to laugh if you can not hear yourself?

Ask them how they knew to laugh before they heard others do it. You just LAUGH!! *facepalm*

One that I get a lot is when someone is behind me and i don't hear them and then they decide to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention. Or when my worker is behind me and trying to speak i can hear that she's saying something but i'm not sure what she says. or when me and mom surprised each other at the mall and my aunt came up behind me she really scared me because i didn't hear her at all. Then at school some girl tried getting my attention when i didn't hear her she finally tapped me gently and i jumped like omg. she was sorry after.

One that I get a lot is when someone is behind me and i don't hear them and then they decide to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention. Or when my worker is behind me and trying to speak i can hear that she's saying something but i'm not sure what she says. or when me and mom surprised each other at the mall and my aunt came up behind me she really scared me because i didn't hear her at all. Then at school some girl tried getting my attention when i didn't hear her she finally tapped me gently and i jumped like omg. she was sorry after.

We were told in our 1st ASL class to tap the shoulder to get one's attention so I wouldn't consider that an "annoying thing hearies do". I take my classes at a deaf school and am taught by deaf teachers so I trust them to provide accurate info (for our region).

We were told in our 1st ASL class to tap the shoulder to get one's attention so I wouldn't consider that an "annoying thing hearies do". I take my classes at a deaf school and am taught by deaf teachers so I trust them to provide accurate info (for our region).

That's what I was thinking. That's what I was also told and one of the first things in all my ASL books.

i hate the way hearing people have double standards on how they treat deaf, , like i get nagged about what i spend money out mum wont do that to other cuz they 'hearing' and have rights to make choices. i really really fucking hate that...whats more i got more brains than they do, but earn alot less...well no..im on a benefit, but studying hard, they just do the easypeasy talk-shit hearing jobs and get paid shitloads for doing nothing but bossing around...i mean gets this, they dont even knoe computers all that much at fucking all, and yet they runs big businesses, i just dont get it...
its stupid beyond reason

The fact that I am hearing and when I hung out with my deaf friend and then introduced her to my hearing friends they automatically thought that if they spoke louder and opened their mouthed wider he could hear them. I really just wanted to go off!!

You are correct about that. Thats what we do in the Deaf community.

The fact that I am hearing and when I hung out with my deaf friend and then introduced her to my hearing friends they automatically thought that if they spoke louder and opened their mouthed wider he could hear them. I really just wanted to go off!!

Why? It is a natural reaction They are trying to accommodate someone in the only way they know how. That is putting in an effort while other people will just ignore you. There is nothing to go off about.

Biggest issue is if someone wanted to know how to sign "turbo". You'll have to tell them that there is no sign for "turbo". The hearing people may tell, you are lying. I know there is a sign for "turbo". Deaf person would tell, look it up. There is no sign for "turbo" for anywhere. This is the truth.

Actually had this ignoramus lady tell me this morning that "Deaf people can't take care of animals, so why do you have a dog?" My daughter was ready to deck her, but luckily the lady's son corrected her and told her to hush up. She's in her 60's and he's a wonderful neighbor who loves both our dogs. My daughter has returned 1 of his dogs that got loose when AT&T didn't close the gate all the way. He's has scary looking dogs. A HUGE Bull Mastiff and a HUGE Doberman.

Biggest issue is if someone wanted to know how to sign "turbo". You'll have to tell them that there is no sign for "turbo". The hearing people may tell, you are lying. I know there is a sign for "turbo". Deaf person would tell, look it up. There is no sign for "turbo" for anywhere. This is the truth.

so..you make that one up now

I tell people at work to tap me on the shoulder because more often than not, I'm not going to notice them otherwise. They can't very well turn the light on and off. If you're going to get along with others, you need to be less overly sensitive. How else would they get the attention of someone that doesn't hear them? Do you want them to wave until you see them from a distance?

Laura

"Never mind" Those have become the my 2 most hated words in the English language.

"Never mind" Those have become the my 2 most hated words in the English language.

Ugh...I heard that from a coworker a couple of months back. She said something which I didn't hear and I got the dreaded, "Nevermind....."

Laura

It's like, okay, you know me, you know I'm deaf and I am not going to get everything the first time, especially if you won't even wait til I'm looking at you before you start talking to me!! Then you're going to get annoyed because I missed something??

How about you just don't talk to me and I won't want to punch you in the throat mm'kay?

Back